• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Max's tear stains

Maximoose

Max has some wicked tear stains that are the result of some clear tears. Is there any product that will remove this and does this sound like something I should worry about. He has a vet appointment on Friday. COuld this be an allergy?

How old is he? Some get it while they are teething. I'd wash it gently once a day and keep the area dry.

He is 5.5 months old, and I hate using soap so close to his eyes. I tried saline solution but that didn't work. Thanks for responding!!

Just water is best, soap near the eye isn't good. I know some breeders use no tears baby shampoo on a dogs face but I'd keep soap away from eyes.(y)

Tear Stain

If it is just a weepy eyes (plenty of dogs get this and don't have any problems with their eyes) then washing them daily with a saline wash (or mild salt and water) is the best thing to keep them clean. As Sandrac said, Angel Eyes is very good and there are a good few other washes spacifically for tear stains - have a look in a good pet shop?

I have used baby shampoo (as *Pauline* suggested) and it works but doesn't clear it all away.

Max is right in the midst of a heavy teething stage right now. I would blot the wet area with tissues for the time being - as long as you aren't worried about an eye infection and as long as he isn't rubbing his eyes on the carpeting/bed/ground.

If he is rubbing his eyes, you might want to get him seen by the vet to prevent corneal scarring. If you aren't sure, it would be best to have the vet take a look. At one year of age, if Max still has watery eyes you might want to take him to a veterinary ophthalmologist and/or a dermatologist to diagnose chronic problems.

My India had teary eyes as a pup. We waited til she was one year old (per the vet), then the vet diagnosed entropian, which required a laser procedure to correct.

Chocolate's breeder scolded me a bit after the fact, asking why I didn't take India to a veterinary ophthalmologist. I didn't know any better at the time, but India's eyes are fine now! Now that I know better, I would go to an ophthalmologist if possible.

One of the veterinary dermatologists at Ohio State University helped India by diagnosing a yeast infection caused by food allergies. We found that a chicken allergy and a grain allergy cause her to get yeast around her ears, eyes, and mouth (it is smelly) so with a diet change to either commercial frozen raw lamb or venison and millet kibble she is perfectly fine now. (y)

Sorry for the long post, but as you can see - watery eyes can be caused by teething or by other chronic problems that need attention!

I use a product called Diamond Eye, made by Vitacoat. I apply a little to a cotton ball, then wipe the corner of each eye making sure not to get too close to the eye itself.

I do this once a day and it keeps tear stains from forming. When I look on the cotton ball, I can see the reddish/brown stain on it.

Hi, I am here in the U.S, too, and I love a product called Excel Tear Stain Remover Pads

I think I bought mine at Petsmart, but here is a link to them on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FPM80A
They are little premoistened pads that you gently clean the area under their eyes with, then wipe with a wet rag or paper towel. it works great. Use it daily at first. I now only do Bandit 1 or 2 times a week. He had pretty bad stains, but they are 100% gone. I am working on Lizzie's. She has small, pinkish ones that are going away.

From my experience with India and her allergies, I believe that reddish brown stain is yeast. Could be caused by allergies. Your vet could confirm if it is yeast by looking at a sample.

Thank you everyone

Max has an appointment today with vet so I will have her check for yeast. I had slowly changed his kibble so it could be a food allergy. I thought I was giving him something better :(

I hope your vet appt. went well....Stella is prone to tearing and staining also. I use Angel Eyes and it seems to work. Whenever she gets brushed, I also use some eye wipes. This keeps everything at bay. Good luck!:)

Nemo had a lot more tearstain when he was 5.5mo. He just turned one and his eyes are much better. funnything is..he ususally come home with less tear stain when he eats other dogs food...hmmmmmmmm

Back