• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bandit and Lizzie both real sick

brotymo

Well, I just got back from the vet a little while ago.
I really don't know what has happened, but both of the babies went from appearing to be fine after lunch to deathly ill by mid-afternoon. They were fine this morning. I left them at 10 to take my son to the dentist, got home at 1:30 and they were fine. They wanted to go outside and play, so I let them and they stayed out running, tussling and playing for about an hour. They wanted in for about 30 minutes, still fine, and then went back out until about 3. They came in, seemed okay, but a little tired looking. I came back into the kitchen where they were a few minutes later and there was a huge puddle of diarhea in the floor. I was still cleaning that up when my two older children got off the bus. The dogs went to greet them, and my daughter immediately asked why Bandit was drooling so bad. "uh-oh" was my first thought. Then my daughter said Lizzie was drooling, too. Well, within 5 minutes Lizzie had vomited and Bandit was outside trying to poop again, followed by Lizzie trying, unsuccessfully to poop. After seeing black walnut shell and nut pieces in Lizzie's vomit, I decided we'd better head for the vet. At that point, the vet would only be open another hour and I prefered to go to them and not the emergency vet (which is quite a drive and quite an expense). In the car on the way to the vet, Bandit vomited.
After seeing them and hearing what was going on, the vet wanted to admit them and put them on I.V.'s since they are so small, yet NOONE is even in their office from 7 pm to 7 am, and it was alreaady 5:30 pm by this time. I just felt that wasn't good. They both drank quite a bit of water, but threw up within 5 minutes of drinking it there at the vet's. After bloodwork that showed no liver or kidney problems, the vet said that he felt if I could keep them drinking and hydrated, they could come home. He gave them a shot of Reglin (for nausea), and gave me more pills for later, plus put them on antibiotics.
I have to take them to the emergency vet immediately during the night if they stop drinking and keep vomiting and having diarrhea. I just don't know what is wrong or has happened to them. I am wondering if it is the walnuts. I have two HUGE trees just over my back fence that are raining walnuts right now. I understand a fungus that grows on the shells when they get wet gives off a toxin, and this is what is bad for dogs. The vet wasn't sure that was the problem. They went from fine to really sick in the matter of a couple of hours. I don't know of anything else they would have gotten into.
I am worried to death about them. Right now they are both asleep, drooling all over themselves and Bandit didn't even want a little bit of chicken and rice (I was trying to get him to take a pill). I can't even feel okay about going to bed, and I have class in the morning, so I will have to leave them. (Last day of classes before finals next week, so I can't miss. Too much important info is being given out).
I just am worried and hoping we get through the night okay.

It's probably the walnuts, which have toxic mold/fungus inside. Do you have a full service animal hospital or vet school anywhere near? That's what I would opt for, especially because they are both babies. :xfngr::xfngr::paw::paw::paw: Hoping they'll be ok.

Oh dear, poor things, I'd leave them at the vet in the morning, I wouldn't be happy with them being on their own if you have to go out. Let us know how you get on.

Oh no!
I would leave them at the vets while u have class or with a friend so that if it gets worse they can take them to the vet.
Am keeping :xfngr: for the wee poppets.
Keep us updated.
X

Poor Bandit & Lizzie, and you must have gotten an awful fright :hug:
Hope they are feeling better soon. Keep us updated :flwr::flwr:

Poor Bandit & Lizzie!! i hope they are feeling ok soon. keeping my :xfngr: they get better quickly.

Thinking about you & your babies. Please let us know how they are doing today.

:hug:

Hi everyone and thanks for the messages of concern. I felt okay to leave them this morning since the last time anyone vomited was about 7 p.m. Last night they were really nauseated for several more hours, but they did drink water and it stayed down. They just drooled buckets and laid there, but couldn't seem to get comfy. They both try to poop, but only a very small bit of watery poop comes out. I think this may be that there just isn't anything in their tummies, not neccessarily any blockage. They probably have tummy aches. I could hear Lizzie's squeaking and grumbling last night.
I stayed up with them offering them water and cooked some chicken and rice gruel (very watery to help hydrate them) They wouldn't even touch that for hours. Finally, about 11 last night after a long rest, they smelled the chicken and both very eagerly ate some (didn't give much, just about 1/4 cup each at the most, including the watery part). I wanted them to keep it down, so I didn't let them to eat more even though they wanted it. They were still very wiped out, but they did get up and follow me around for a bit and peed and stopped drooling. Lizzie even got a little playful.They slept well and didn't have to go out during the night. I have to get up at 5, so it was a short night for them to wait anyway. Lizzie was happy to get up and was playful. She ate some dog food, and drank and socialized with us like normal. Bandit, on the other hand still isn't himself. He slept for a while longer after Lizzie got up, drank some and went out to potty. No luck pooping, but he tried, and he wanted to say "hi" to the big doggies, too (he worships them), which was better than last night. He really just wanted to rest, though, mostly, so I let him be. They are still not okay yet, but seem to be improving. I am going to have to spend several hours with the kids and rakes getting up the thousands and thousands of walnuts. THere are actually three mature, huge trees in the field behind my house and every other year they drop nuts like rain. One tree in particular sits right on the fence line and most of the nuts end up in my yard. Only Kaya has eaten them in the past, and she only ate the ones without the husk thingy (that covers the shell). I understand that the danger is the fungus that grows under that husk on the shell when the nuts get moist. Even though I have no idea if the nuts were the culprit, I am going to get them up anyway to be safe. They definitely were throwing up nut pieces, though I noticed nut shell pieces in perfectly normal poop of Lizzie's last week. The difference could be the amount of rain we had this last week may have made the shells grow that fungus, though. So, no puppy play outside without direct, diligent supervision.
Cross your fingers that everyone is even better when I get home. Bandit is the only one I am really still concerned for.
I lined the floor with potty pads and left them napping when I came to class. I hope to have bright eyed babies meet me at the door in a couple of hours.

I sure do appreciate your support. Where else can I go and have people interested in my dog's recycled stomach contents and bowel movements :eek: ?
You all rock!
Well, gotta run to class.

I have everything crossed for you that you do have two bright eyed well puppies to go home to :flwr:

Your pups were "lucky"-looking around the web found a lot on walnut fungus and dogs from really sick to lethal. Going to be hard to keep those picked up,esp if they still have the covers on them. Good luck with the "pick up" and getting better :hug:. Every season seems to have a different challenge-and a lot of time it isn't even what's grown in your yard but what falls or blows into it :eek:. :xfngr: for a good day.

Keeping fingers crossed that Bandit & Lizzie will be much better when you get home :xfngr:

So pleased they are a bit better .:xfngr: they both feel better really soon. Good luck with the walnut hunting.

They are definitely feeling better now. Lizzie is better than Bandit, though neither of them have pooped since late yesterday, though they have tried a few times. Bandit is dragging his butt some, but he doesn't seem in pain and he actually had a mini-wrestling match with Lizzie about an hour ago. They have those horrendous sick-dog farts right now, though. I'm giving them really little servings of chicken and rice every couple hours so I don't overload their stomachs. I think we are gonna be okay, I will just feel better when they get over this completely. Thanks everyone for the support. Lizzie and Bandit send a big woof your way.

So sorry to hear what you have been through the last 24 hours, glad things are looking a little better now..hugs to your little ones.

Back