• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bandit and Lizzie both real sick

Oh goodness that's really scary for you :( poor wee souls - I hope they are much better now.

Could you separate off that part of the garden - maybe just temporarily with wire netting?

I hope both your babies continue to improve, get well soon Lizzie and Bandit, big hugs from us too

I'\d never heard of walnut fungus -- that's sure all sounded very scary. I'd probably put up a second fence maybe that keeps them well away during the time of year when the nuts drop? Thanks for posting about this as I am sure many people will never have thought about walnuts as a problem. :eek:

Thanks everyone. We are steady improving. Bandit is playing with Lizzie right now and she finally had a normal bowel movement a short while ago. They are acting nice and perky.
The temporary fence suggested by Nicki and Karlin might be something to think about. Maybe even a permanent, seperate part with a big gate I can drive the mower thru so I can close it off when the nuts come down, but leave it open after they are gotten up. I've lived here 4 years and they have fallen twice, so it seems to go in 2 year cycles.
The part that bothers me is the chance that it wasn't the nuts after all and might be something else undiscovered. I saw nothing else when they vomited but food, water and the nuts and shells, and very few nuts and shells in Bandit's at that. Lizzie had more in hers and Bandit was sicker for longer. It could just be she threw most of hers up and Bandit didn't so it affected him worse. I don't know, but I need to protect against the walnuts anyway since they can be dangerous and I know the dogs are messing with them.
Well, gotta put kids to bed and study...

Your pups have been on my mind today! We had a similar problem with 2 huge oak trees and acorns. India and Geordie were youngsters and kept eating them and getting sick. A veterinarian behaviorist did a home visit and told us there would be no way to train them to leave the acorns alone. We finally sold our house and moved!!!

If you can, it sounds like a good idea to keep them away from the walnut area.

If Bandit doesn't have a stool soon, you may have to look into whether or not he has a blockage.

Bandit finally pooped! Yay! It wasn't all nicely formed, but it was a vast improvement over yesterday, so I can happily get the blockage worries off my mind. I was a bit worried that he'd swallowed large pieces of shell that had formed a blockage, but I know now that isn't the case.

Gald to hear all seems well..could you fence off the end of your garden at all..we had to do that because of the dogs eating stuff that falls from neighbours trees in the winter. We open it up again in summer.

Bandit finally pooped! Yay!

Run out :rah:the flags.

Isn't it wonderful just what it takes to make a dog owner happy.

May tomorrow's little offering be firm & well formed, and may both your babies continue to improve.

Margaret C

Back