• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Homeopathy

-leah-

Hey all,

As some of you already know Holly has been suffering form reoccuring UTI's for over a year now. A pattern has formed at this stage, she gets an infection, she is put on antibiotics and s/d (perscription food by Hill's) to dissolve stuvites and then she has to eat c/d (another perscription food) as a preventative.

However she still gets infections even though c/d had been her sole food for about a year and it had caused her to but on approx 2.5-3kg in weight. As you can imagine I'm really frustrated about these negative results but according to the vet it's all that can be done.

So, as the title reads I have decided to try homeopathy. I spoke to a man from Galway on the phone today he asked me a series of questions about Holly, her age, breed, medical background etc. He is going to post a remedy to us and has reccommended that we start feeding Holly 1part meat/poultry 2 parts veg and cereals/rice.

Basically I have two questions:

Do any of you have any experience with pet homeopathy?

Exactly how much meat and veg should I give her per day? (she's 13.4kg)

I am so excited about this, I just hope it works out. Also I should add, I'll be doing this under veterinary supervision, I'm going to talk to the vet about it tomorrow when I take Bailey for his booster.

hmm... I have no experience in this, but I'd be interested to hear what you find out. Keep us updated.

PS - I have an uncle that lives in Galway. :)

I've used homeopathy with my boys and it has really helped them with certain issues (eye issues, and I believe it might have prevented a vaccine reaction in Truman, but I guess there's no proof).

It sounds like a change in diet might make a difference for Holly...as far as how much meat, veg and grain to give, it's hard to say, all I can tell you is how much I feed mine (16 & 18 lbs) - in addition to their cottage cheese, pumpkin, oils, supplements, tripe and a 1 oz prepared frozen raw meat nugget, they each get equivalent to a small handful of veggies, a small handful of grains (for breakfast) and a piece of meat about the size of my fist (I have small hands) for dinner. They are healthy weights and their diets vary day to day, then don't eat the same thing or same amounts every day. They also fast on Sundays (since they turned 1 year old) because I feed raw.

My one being a diabetic I got used reoccurring UTI's and rounds of antibiotics but after reading up on this board I thought that pro biotic yoghurt may be the answer.

After trying nearly everyone on the market I settle on one from morrisons and started to give her a tablespoon in her food everyday and she not had a problem with UTI since (touch wood 3x) :)

Leah - I hope you get this sorted for Holly. As I have two boys we fortunatley don't seem to be affected so much by the same thing, but as previously said in the posts above, I too vary their diets - they have a base of 50% Burns Venison and rice and 50% Burns Fish and rice with either a 1 oz raw nugget, green beans, sardine, or a little cheese on top. I give them a mixture of gravy bones, fish slices or charcoal biscuits as their pre bedtime treat.

After speaking to my vet on Friday I wasn't too sure if I should try homeopathy. She didn't say anything against homeopathy she just said that she wouldn't use it as it goes against most things she has learned.

She suggested trying a new perscription food w/d which sounds promising:

For the Nutritional Management of Obese Prone and Slightly Overweight Dogs and Dogs with Fiber Responsive Diseases Even minor weight problems can have an impact on your dog’s health and energy levels. It’s a problem that frequently begins with excessive calorie and fat intake as well as a lack of adequate exercise. Prescription Diet® Canine w/d® was formulated specifically to help manage dogs who are prone to gaining weight. Weight problems can lead to more serious conditions, including arthritis, heart disease, and diabetes. Prescription Diet® Canine w/d® is also useful as a nutritional aid for dogs with fiber responsive diseases such as diabetes mellitus, colitis, diarrhea, constipation and struvite urolithiasis management in obese dogs.

The remedy arrived this morning in a dripping envelope, turns out it all leaked out in transit. Maybe it's a sign?

Back