Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Gabapentin dosage

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Nuneaton, Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    149
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Gabapentin dosage

    I've lowered Star's dosage from 100 mg three times a day to 70 mg on wednesday but today she's yelped twice and went to bite at her hind leg. She's been scratching a bit more than when she was on the 100 mg too. Should I keep her on the 70 mg for another day or so and see how it goes or put her back on the 100 mg?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,136
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I wouldn't change a dose without asking the vet or the neurologist. But, they will reply on you to watch how Star is and report any change. I upped Dylan dose after he came off the rimadyl and started to show signs of pain. These things always happen on a friday don't they. Is your vet open tomorrow?
    ....
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Nuneaton, Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    149
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The vets open but there' s not much point asking them as they're pretty clueless when it comes to SM. Might try phoning the neurologists and asking them. She did say to see how she goes on the 70mg so maybe I've not given it enough time or she might just be having an off day this evening.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,136
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It could just be a bad day, have a think about it tomorrow when you see how she is. Try not to worry.
    ....
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Hatfield, Herts, UK
    Posts
    2,741
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sugarkane74 View Post
    I've lowered Star's dosage from 100 mg three times a day to 70 mg on wednesday but today she's yelped twice and went to bite at her hind leg. She's been scratching a bit more than when she was on the 100 mg too. Should I keep her on the 70 mg for another day or so and see how it goes or put her back on the 100 mg?
    This is such an individual decision, but when Tommy's condition started to deteriorate I decided that I was going to do my best to keep him as pain free as possible, even if it meant he had to have larger doses of painkiller, and the treatment shortened his life.

    He has been on Gabapentin 100mg x 3 & Caprodyl ( Rimadyl ) x 2 daily. I saw the Vet yesterday & we agreed I should try & see if he stays comfortable without the Caprodyl.
    He seems okay at the moment, perhaps a little bit more restless, but not noticeably so.
    I will continue to monitor on a day by day basis and if he seems to get uncomfortable again then I will put him back on the Caprodyl full time

    I am lucky that our two senior partners know that I have a fairly good grasp on the subject and so they are very open to my suggestions about his treatment.


    Margaret C

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    24,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    You really need medical advice on this, especially when you are only beginning to treat a dog. It is just as important to be sure you have professional advice when moving medications around with dogs as it is with children, elderly people, or anyone else whose medications need to be managed responsibly by a third party.

    If your vets know nothing about SM then I'd consider changing vets. However the general approach is to ask your vets to get further information for you on changing the dose. Most vets will then do some research or more likely, contact your neurologist directly themselves.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    9,165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Just one more thing - several of us have noticed our cavaliers are in more pain when the weather changes, and this seems to be a temporary thing, so you might want to work out something with your vet or neurologist where you can give your SM affected dogs something extra for pain once in awhile but only when it is needed.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,136
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Moon View Post
    Just one more thing - several of us have noticed our cavaliers are in more pain when the weather changes, and this seems to be a temporary thing, so you might want to work out something with your vet or neurologist where you can give your SM affected dogs something extra for pain once in awhile but only when it is needed.
    I agree, weather plays a part, if it's overcast I think this increases air pressure?

    I have a pot of Rimadyl and keep it to use when needed as a little extra pain relief. They are easy to break up too so you can only give 1/4 if you want.
    ....
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •