Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SM and Hearling Loss

Post Thanks / Like

Default SM and Hearling Loss

Anyone notice a connection? My SM girl is a very sound sleeper-- my other 2 jump up and follow me as soon as I get up, but my girl with SM stays sound asleep. I always thought it was because of her meds-- that they make her sleep soundly. When a friend of mine watched her for me, she said she thought she probably had hearing loss based on her observaions over the 5 days she kept her for me. That actually makes a lot of sense to me. She said she thought she recalled hearing or reading that SM and hearing loss can be connected.

Do any of you notice that perhaps your SM dogs don't hear as well as they should?
    Last edited by Holly; 1st August 2010 at 01:20 AM.
    Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My understanding is that hearing loss isn't SM related but is known to be connected to PSOM, which seems common in the breed, and also connected to what recently was named as genetically-linked early-onset hearing loss in the breed that isn't PSOM related. I think Rod posted on this and has info on his site?

Deafness seems unfortunately fairly common in the breed -- I see it regularly in rescue dogs -- and often seems to start to appear around age 5-6. My Lucy scanned SM and PSOM clear at almost 10 but was deaf by 7 when my parents got her.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There's a good downloadable pamphlet from Ohio State on the cavalier and health issues -- it does include deafness as an SM symptom but does note, in an article on PSOM (by one of the leading experts on it), that deafness could also be caused by a genetic predisposition:

The presenting signs of PSOM may include
    pain localized to the head and neck, balance
    problems, drooping of the ear or lip, drooling
    saliva, inability to blink the eye, involuntary
    rapid movement of the eyeball, head tilt
    and/or hearing loss. However, these signs are
    also symptoms of syringomyelia, while
    hearing loss alone may be due to progressive
    hereditary deafness, both of which are
    diseases identified in the CKCS.
    The pamphlet is here:

http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/assets...lesSpaniel.pdf

However I am pretty sure Clare Rusbridge and some others do not think deafness is likely to be due to SM. I will ask! That said different researchers may have different opinions on this issue.

Hope that helps!

Leo (with SM) has some directional hearing loss. But he also has PSOM. Lily (small syrinx) has no hearing problems; also has PSOM.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Karlin, yes it does help. Dougall has psom and we are going through a
    bit of a difficult time with him.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

I think there's a little bit on Claire Rusbridge's website (on the SM symptoms page I think) that a lot of dogs with SM are also deaf, but there doesn't seem to be any actual connection between the two things. My Oliver is almost completely deaf in his left ear, which is also the side where he gets occasional incidents of painful light phobia - due to his dilated ventricles pressing on the nerves at the back of the eyes. Which makes me wonder whether there is a connection between CM and deafness, through pressure on the nerves of the ear -pure inexpert speculation, of course!!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just had an email back from Penny Knowler (who works with Clare Rusbridge) who says in their view, there's no direct connection.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for looking into this, Karlin.
    Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for that Karlin - in my own dogs, I haven't seen a connection between SM and hearing loss. Have had several deaf dogs, one of whom was an MRI grade A at 7 1/2 - have also had two severely affected dogs, neither of whom had any hearing loss.

Also have a youngster with PSOM but no hearing loss.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

I knew from the website that research shows no obvious connection between SM and deafness. My query is about CM and deafness - given that the majority of Cavaliers have CM, which can cause dilated ventricles without necessarily producing a syrinx. This seems to me much more of a problem with Oliver than his small syrinx, for example. Understandably, research is focusing on SM because it is the syrinx that produces the really awful symptoms, but I do wonder what effect CM has had on Cavalier health over the years (even when it didn't lead to a syrinx).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

Dewey's speaker notes from AVMA Convention, third paragraph:

"Some specific clinical findings in dogs with CM/SM include"...........................lists nine other symptoms and last one listed is "hearing abnormalities."

He goes on to say that it is important to realize that other conditions may account for some of the clinical signs. He then talks about PSOM and then says that congenital deafness is also well-described in the CKCS breed.

Question from me - does congenital deafness mean a dog that is deaf at birth or can that include early onset deafness or deafness at a young or middle age versus geriatric deafness.

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA