• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The Great eBay Challenge

Margaret C

After the very successful eBay auction, which means we now have enough money to start the SM cavalier collection scheme, I was wondering if any one out there would like to join in an 'eBay Challenge'

Rules are simple......Choose something you no longer want ( it does not have to be in any way dog related ) & sell it on eBay.......If it does not sell you have lost a few pence in listing fees......If you win, you donate the money to the scheme.

If you have never sold anything on eBay before, then just think, now could be your chance to learn.

I would like to think this could be light hearted fun and that all members, wherever they are in the world, can join in.
Teasing each other is obligatory.

Get your husband, sons, daughters, grandchildren to add something of their own. Perhaps we can have a winner declared for each of them?

I'm sure we can think up some categories that can be won.....Most bids.... most useless object listed....... the most useless object actually sold.....Best reason for choosing particular item....Best family effort etc.

Come on, help me out here..... I can't do all the thinking myself.

Perhaps Karlin will consider sending the overall best effort ( not always the same as the most money raised ) a lollipop or some other exotic prize.

I am now selling things on eBay regularly as a fund raising exercise, but for this Grand Challenge I am going to add a second hand cassette of 'Christmas Carols from Guildford Cathedral'.

I have no idea when we got it, but in a family that has had CD players for many years it must be quite old.
The carols are the lovely traditional ones, Silent Night, While Shepherds Watched, Good King Wencelas etc.

I think I will put the starting price at 99p but make the postage & packing free ( it will cost under 50p second class ) So I only need one bid to make a profit of 49p........ Well it all adds up!
I'll put it on for 7 days.

There is not that much demand for cassette tapes now, but it is seasonal.
Does anyone want to make a guess whether it will sell or not?

Hope some of you will find time to join in.

Margaret C

Edited to add details of how to send monies raised:

Monies raised can be made via PayPal https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_home&country_lang.x=true. Entering the following email address at the PayPal site will bring up the 'SM DNA Fund' account: [email protected]. Donations can be made in several currencies using a credit card or PayPal funds.

Please PM Margaret C with the date and amount, so that the money can allocated for the SM Collection Project.

Alternatively you can make a cheque out to 'SM DNA Fund' & send it to Margaret, please PM her for the address.

Thanking you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
(y) Great idea Margaret, I will be selling all those exercise dvd's I've bought and never used. Good time to have a clear out before the New Year.

I will let you know what I have on e-bay as soon as I have worked out how to do it!

I think I will put the starting price at 99p but make the postage & packing free ( it will cost under 50p second class ) So I only need one bid to make a profit of 49p........ Well it all adds up!
I'll put it on for 7 days.

Margaret C

Dont forget your listing fee's & ebays commission has to come out of the final price aswell as the postage.

also For anyone selling things that are suitable for international buyers ebay.com has a half price listing day today

Last edited:
Dont forget your listing fee's & ebays commission has to come out of the final price aswell as the postage.

also For anyone selling things that are suitable for international buyers ebay.com has a half listing price day today

Oops, I always forget those costs, I'll end up paying them if I'm not careful.

My beautiful daughter has just emailed me to say she has put on blonde hair extensions, eBay Item number: 150315154141, as her contribution.

I reckon that is a good start to the useless item category, or am I just showing my age?
icon9.gif

Margaret C

Hi Margaret

Thats an excellent idea ,but do I presume it excludes wives and young boys ,cos if it doesn't not that I would get much money for them but it would certainly save me a lot of cash and make a lot more room for more Cavaliers .HURRAY.
Prior to getting my Honda CRV last year I had a great big Nissan for which I bought a pair of spotlamps which I still have almost new somewhere (Dawn has a habit of if I haven't moved something for a couple of days it disappears she calls it keeping the house tidy I call it by a different name) and I keep on meaning to sell them but the deterrent has always been parceling them up and then the harassment of carting them to the P Office , but if the reason is for our Cavaliers there can be no better incentive.
If people put items up for sale on ebay ,which I have never done yet ,will they just be spread all over the different categories or will there be a link to group them to each other so Jo public can view all the items if he wants to specifically help the cause and would you think that we should mention that any monies raised would be donated to the scheme.

Hi Margaret

Thats an excellent idea ,but do I presume it excludes wives and young boys ,cos if it doesn't not that I would get much money for them but it would certainly save me a lot of cash and make a lot more room for more Cavaliers .HURRAY.
Prior to getting my Honda CRV last year I had a great big Nissan for which I bought a pair of spotlamps which I still have almost new somewhere (Dawn has a habit of if I haven't moved something for a couple of days it disappears she calls it keeping the house tidy I call it by a different name) and I keep on meaning to sell them but the deterrent has always been parceling them up and then the harassment of carting them to the P Office , but if the reason is for our Cavaliers there can be no better incentive.
If people put items up for sale on ebay ,which I have never done yet ,will they just be spread all over the different categories or will there be a link to group them to each other so Jo public can view all the items if he wants to specifically help the cause and would you think that we should mention that any monies raised would be donated to the scheme.

Brian, you are a Star.
That sounds like something in the 'really useful if you have a great big Nissan ' category.
I bet they sell.

I don't think they let you auction wives or children on eBay, but you could always try. We're not proud, we will take money from anything.

If Roger keeps pinching the quilt from my side of the bed he will end up on there, starting price 99p, buyer collects in person.

I'm pretty new at eBay selling myself so I'm not sure, but I think they will be spread in different categories. I don't know if there is any way of linking our items, but we could all post the number their eBay numbers on this thread. My carol singing tape is Item number: 290281992702.

The scheme is not a charity, so I'm not sure whether it is within eBay rules to say what the money will be used for. Does anyone out there know?

Margaret C

I have a Jewellery shop on ebay and was wondering if it would be in order to post details of the shop on this board. I will donate 10% of sales to SM research. Perhaps Karlin or a Moderator would let me know, do not want to do anything that would cause any problems.

I can't see that it's a problem HollyDolly - especially in light of your very kind offer :D

Perhaps you could also post the link in Shop-a-holics?

{Our view is that we are happy to accept links from members who actively post on the board - BUT not if people are only here to advertise their own business}

Margaret, I will go to :*bay:now :) details to follow...

Thanks to Brian, Jan and Vicki too :)

Thanyou Nicki.
The link:-
http://storesebay.co.uk/GEMSTONE-JEWELLERY-BOUTIQUE. (IGNORE THIS NOW CORRECT LINK IS ON PAGE 2 OF THIS THREAD)

From now on 10% of all sales will go to SM research. Perhaps Margaret C will kindly let me have the details of where to send monies and I will do this on a monthly basis. Is there anyway it could be made a charity? and then we could ask ebay to list it as one. Just a thought.

Nanette

Last edited:
OK after a bit of a struggle {I confess to not really being very technically minded ;)} I've managed to list my item - IF I CAN DO IT, ANYONE CAN!!!

I'm proposing a category of "most wanted Cavalier book" LOL - I wanted this for ages, it's lovely to read and I think it's time someone else get to read and treasure it. :flwr:

Nanette, thank you for doing that but the link isn't working for me :( told you I'm not great with :*bay: LOL

It just comes up to stores and you need to search but I'm not finding you?

Just a tip, list an item to go live at weekends or after eightish in the evenings, more people shop after all the soaps have finished. You can schedule a start time for just 6 pence more.:*bay:
No you are right Nicki it's not working for me either. My user name is frank8356 on ebay but I will go and check it all out and re post.

Last edited:
OK after a bit of a struggle {I confess to not really being very technically minded ;)} I've managed to list my item - IF I CAN DO IT, ANYONE CAN!!!

I'm proposing a category of "most wanted Cavalier book" LOL - I wanted this for ages, it's lovely to read and I think it's time someone else get to read and treasure it. :flwr:

Thank you Nicki that is a wonderful contribution.
I remember seeing this book, must be 25-30 years ago. I have not seen a copy since.

Any body else up to the challenge?
It really is not that difficult, if you go into eBay, click on 'Sell' and follow the instructions for the quick sell option, it is really quite easy.
I find a certain satisfaction in seeing it all come up as a listing.

It is best if you have a photo, but you can do it without, or even edit your item later to add a photo.

I am useless with a camera, so I got Roger to do a batch of 70 items ( mainly tapes, year books, old club magazines and miscellaneous items ) He did them on the garden table to get a good light with no reflections, and complained bitterly about cold feet while he was doing so.....

My daughter's partner has donated the CD below. Has anyone heard of them or is this for the 'who? category'

Jack Johnson CD 'On and On' Special Edition

Item number: 150315759992
rtCurve.gif
s.gif

My gorgeous Grandson has donated a 2004 Beano Annual, item 150315759110:rah:

I wonder if Brian has found his spot lamps yet, or is he going to be forced to contribute Dawn?

Margaret C

Hi Margaret

Yes Dawn found Brians spot lamps stashed in the loft where loads of my things disappear to .As I said if I don't move an item or use it for a week or so it just disappears or as my good lady says it gets tied up ,then they miraculously appear somewhere in the loft ,my problem is I am not allowed up there as I will find all sorts of things and then fetch them back down again .I actually brought them into work and I have photographed them filled out all the forms on Ebay ,for the first time as a seller ,then at the end it says to enter my home phone number and they ring and give you a confirmation number ,so I will do this later and post the selling number on the forum so we can all admire my handiwork.:rah:

I'm supposed to be working from home today, but I keep wandering off to look at doggie things, so at this rate I will be working until midnight :eek:.

Anyway, I have just posted all of my redundant yoga DVDs on e-bay: no idea if they will sell, but we will see.

I used to do 2-3 Ashtanga Yoga classes a week and topped them up with a bit of home practice - though I actually only used about three of the DVD's I had - but I have to finally accept that Ashtanga is not a good option for my now dodgy knee :( and move over to a more gentle form of yoga and Pilates instead. So it will do me good to sell the DVDs in aid of Cavaliers.

If they don't sell I will put them in the jumble, but donate £1 for each to the SM fund anyway.

Listing numbers:

Last edited:
Thank you so much.

I had a quick look. Looks rather like a form of torture to me. My arthritic knees nearly buckled at the photo of
David Swenson Yoga Short Forms - DVD, CD & Card set (Item number: 330294000502
rtCurve.gif
):eek:

s.gif

I love HollyDolly's beautiful items.

We have only had people from the UK so far.

I know that we can only collect dogs in this Country, but we are all in this together, and the results of this study could benefit cavaliers worldwide.
Does anyone have an unwanted articles hidden away somewhere, so we can go International?

Margaret C

I had a quick look. Looks rather like a form of torture to me. My arthritic knees nearly buckled at the photo of
David Swenson Yoga Short Forms - DVD, CD & Card set (Item number: 330294000502
rtCurve.gif
):eek:

Oh I really liked the David Swenson one - I did a three day course with him at the Yoga Union in Edinburgh a few years ago and you would not believe the positions he could get his body into!

I am going to see what else I have to put on e-bay tomorrow - it's so easy that I think I could get addicted.

Hi :jump:

Hurray after my second attempt those lights are now listed as item number 320324830671 so if people could pls have a look and tell me what you think good or bad pls as its my first ever go selling previously always been a buyer ,if Dawn would let me up in that loft there will be loads of things I will have forgotten about over the years that been sneaked away and hidden from me.

Back