• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The Great eBay Challenge

:razz: I am very happy too Brian - not made as much as you but I have sold all my DVD's!

It's the first time I have sold on e-bay and I thought that they notified you when somebody bid, hence I thought I hadn't had anyone bidding. But today I came home from work to find e-mails telling me that various sums of money had been paid to my PayPal account.

I sold (not including postage) the David Swenson DVD/Video/Cards for £11.50, and the other various Rodney Yee ones for a total of £20.29.

So, not a fortune, but £31.79 which is better than nothing!

Better get posting them out tomorrow, and will make sure I get my audio books listed after Christmas to see if I can raise a bit more.

Didn't those lights do well ,so if it wasn't for you MC they will still now be gathering dust up in the loft ,and when Luke was a baby /toddler he was a big fan of Thomas The Tank Engine so there must be at least 20 train sets up there somewhere ,but thats for the future

Brian,

Thank you seems inadequate. :) This is a wonderful result. We may have enough to pay for two dogs by January.

Hopefully more people will think about items they have stashed away gathering dust, & try selling on eBay.
Perhaps they will make it their New Year's resolution? ( and sell some unwanted Xmas presents )

I am pleased to say the Cavalier Club has put the notice about the SM Collection Scheme on their website. Hopefully some of the regional clubs & other cavalier sites will follow their lead.
Nobody wants to think of any cavalier being put to sleep, but it does sometimes happen, & we need owners of SM dogs to know that the scheme exists.

Margaret C

:razz: I am very happy too Brian - not made as much as you but I have sold all my DVD's!

It's the first time I have sold on e-bay and I thought that they notified you when somebody bid, hence I thought I hadn't had anyone bidding. But today I came home from work to find e-mails telling me that various sums of money had been paid to my PayPal account.

I sold (not including postage) the David Swenson DVD/Video/Cards for £11.50, and the other various Rodney Yee ones for a total of £20.29.

So, not a fortune, but £31.79 which is better than nothing!

Better get posting them out tomorrow, and will make sure I get my audio books listed after Christmas to see if I can raise a bit more.

Jan,
Well done, what a result. :rah: Thank you so much.
Please everybody, do take off postage & eBay selling commission. You are being generous enough donating the items & your time, I don't want anyone out of pocket.

The money can be paid through the PayPal link to the SM DNA account on Karlin's smcavalier.com website ( let me know when you have sent it, so I know how much we have got ) or you can make a cheque out to 'SM DNA Fund' & send to me. I will PM the address to you.

Margaret C

Hi Margaret

My buyer has paid me so I will send you a c/e tomorrow for £81.42 as if I pay direct to [email protected] Ebay will have another bite out commission wise ,but if you wish me to do so pls advise .Jan's sale was absolutely superb i thought and all her letters over the last couple of months have been extremely well written ,Nicki's book is amusing and charming and reminds me a lot of my superior little girl Daisy ,it is almost finished and i have taken good care of it so shortly I will post it back to Nicki or if we want it kept within our friends as i noted other people were interested in it ,if so maybe they could agree a donation amount with Nicki and then I could post it direct ,rather than Ebay it and risk losing it, if Nicki could pls advise me .And Karlins cards were out of this world I thought they were absolutely superb so much so I don't like sending them out I want to keep them all and I would like to know the names of the handsome foursome:) and who is who.

Fantastic result Brian! Let's hope that other people are inspired to get into their lofts after Christmas to see what is lurking up there that they can sell for the cause!

I am sending a cheque to you Margaret, as I am having problems doing the PayPal transfer so this will be easier. I've rounded it up to £40 to make the accounting easier!

I would be interested in your book Brian, so put a "bid" in for £15 for when you have finished with it.

A Merry Christmas to everybody on the board.

Very well done Brian and Jan, what a fantastic result (y) :D

We really appreciate the support you are giving - and think you've done incredibly well, especially being new to E-bay.

Margaret, will get a cheque off to you now the worst of the Christmas Rush is over - together with a small donation in memory of Rupert.

Just had an e-mail from :*bay:

"Insertion Fees for Auction-style listings will be just 5p* within eligible categories. Now's the perfect time to get your listings ready and you'll get greater value when you sell to spend on 27th and 28th December."

So now's the time to sort out your unwanted Christmas presents and anything else you have cluttering up the house LOL

I have a wee blue jumper that I bought for Rupert but he didn't wear, I was going to list it on E-bay but there are 14 pages of jumpers so it's not likely to sell :( Think I will put it on here in Shopaholics instead.

Graham and I have a few more items to put on e-bay - three unabridged audio books:

A Room With a View (cassetts) E M Forster read by Joanna David
The Nine Tailors (cassetts) Dorothy L Sayers read by Ian Carmichael
Hidden Lives (CDs, non fiction) Margaret Forster read by Susan Jamieson

:*bay:I will get them on e-bay tomorrow and post the listing numbers here. Will probably have a few more shortly as well.

are you having a clear out?

Yes! A win-win situation - money for Cavaliers and more space at home!

:*bay:Audio books now listed as follows:

Nine Tailors 330298542011
Room With a View 330298542554
Hidden Lives 330298543099

Graham has just told me that we also have a 12 volt freeview digibox which we can auction (used on boats/caravans etc) but that will have to wait until next week.

I've looked through our bookshelves and cupboards to come up with these items; all proceeds will go to this fundraiser:

VHS VCR Tape - Nell starring Jodie Foster and Liam Neeson

3 brand new children's crafts books (ages 8 and up):
Stuff for Your Space (decorating)
Simply Sewing (cute clothing and accessories projects)
Horse Crafts (projects for the girls who love horses and ponies)

A like-new cookbook - Chicken - Cooking with Style

2 like-new paperback novels (both are Oprah's book club selections):
The Pilot's Wife
Jewel

2 audio cassette set - Lilith Fair - A Celebration of Women in Music (1998 )

1 audio cassette - Anne - original music score from the Sullivan Films Emmy Award winning TV Presentation of "Anne of Green Gables"

I am going to take these items to the post office to weigh them (and pick up free packaging)

I also have an out of print cavalier book that should fetch a decent price:
Barbara Garnett-Smith's first book - The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel in North America (1998 ) in excellent condition. This is a collectors item, and the price has fluctuated over the past few years - I'll need to research a starting price for it.

Jan & Cathy,

Thank you so much.

The Pilots wife was a really good read and so was Hidden Lives, I would recommend them both.

I have got another cavalier book & someone has donated a hand made cardigan covered with cavalier heads. I need to get them photographed & then I will put them on.

Anyone else out there with anything to donate?
If you have something that is small & fairly light you could post it to me, if you are nervous of tackling eBay, & I will put it up.
Otherwise, I'm sure that if wanted, one of us ( I nominate Nicki as 'The Expert' ) could do a step by step post on how to use the quick & simple method of Ebay listing.
A new skill for the New Year

Margaret C

May I ask a question? Is the only way to withdraw funds from paypal, after someone has paid you, by adding a bank account to your paypal? When I spend on ebay, paypal takes money through my credit card. After allocating a bank account, I think anything I spend will come from that account. Is that right?

May I ask a question? Is the only way to withdraw funds from paypal, after someone has paid you, by adding a bank account to your paypal? When I spend on ebay, paypal takes money through my credit card. After allocating a bank account, I think anything I spend will come from that account. Is that right?

Hello *Pauline*
I'm not an expert, but I think that is correct. It is certainly how I do it.
If you have an item & it would help, you could send me a photo & I can take details over the phone & list it for you. You would need to pack & post.

Margaret C

That's a great idea. Thank you Margaret.

You know what my nerves are like, well, last time I tried to allocate a bank account it got very complicated. Paypal paid two amounts into my account over a short period and I was to tell them what those amounts were before it could all be set up. I got stressed, it felt too complicated. I didn't have time to keep getting mini statements to see what these amounts were. I thought perhaps the security had to be so high as things go wrong and I pulled out. They didn't want the money back though I asked them to bill me. It was under £2. I sound so paranoid :lpy:

Later...

OK, I set up my bank account with paypal :rah: and they didn't ask me to do that complicated set up. I assume I've done it correctly!

For 9 years, I have more or less made my living selling on ebay. In it's heyday, I was pulling in a quite comfortable living. Things have changed in the last couple of years and I have gone back to school to prevent being left totally destitute if it all goes sour. More and more people rely on Craigslist to sell their own stuff, and since ebay simplified their selling and image posting, more and more people just do their own selling. I used to find all sorts of stuff at estate sales and such. Now, if I inquire about something for sale in the paper (to possibly buy and resell on ebay) overwhelmingly, the individual will quote what their item is "selling for on ebay" as a barometer for gauging what it is worth. Ebay's fees and Paypals fees have made it neccessary to get more and more profit margin out of things to make them worth the sale.

Anyway, as far as Paypal goes, if you add a bank account, you can still choose "change funding source" when you are paying for an item and pay by whatever method you want...credit card or bank account. You just have to double check that they are using the proper account. I have accidentally overdrawn a bank account by not carefully checking the funding source I had selected when paying one time.

Pauline, the two small deposits that you verify are really not a big deal. You can wait a week and check to see what they are, then log into paypal and enter them. Then they know you are the person who has access to that bank account and it is safe to take payments from it. Otherwise, anyone with your account and routing number could set up a paypal and pay for their stuff using your account. :eek: This way, it would be highly unlikely they'd get away with it...unless they had access to your account. If you have online banking you should be able to check those mini-deposits by going online.

Otherwise, I'm sure that if wanted, one of us ( I nominate Nicki as 'The Expert' ) could do a step by step post on how to use the quick & simple method of Ebay listing.

It looks like I've been "volunteered" LOL

OK will get something written in the next few days :D

I have listed the first and most expensive of my items on eBay. :rah:

It is a CKCS book for collectors - item ID: 290288424874.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290288424874

I am offering free shipping to US, UK, and Ireland- because I think there are CT members who are collectors and would like to own it; I put that in the description. I don't know how to change my shipping information in the listing to indicate that. Can anyone help explain how to change it?

There are currently 8 used copies of this book selling on Amazon.com and one on eBay. Many of them are slightly damaged and/or have a gift inscription on the inside cover, and all are priced higher than the copy I'm selling, which is in mint condition. I hope the price doesn't scare you off - it's actually a good deal right now.

Last edited:
Back