• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rainbow bridge and owners who get there first??

TriTitch

Hi. Does anybody know what happens when owners die before their pets?
For instance someone who has had a dog up until she died between the ages of 8 weeks old - 10 yrs?
Does the dog join her when eventually the dog dies in a few years - if so does the dog know where to find her seeing as she has already been past rainbow bridge years before.
Or does the dog go to rainbow bridge when it dies to wait for the new owners to arrive - ones shes only known for a few years at most?
Or is there a place where the owner waits where the dog can join her then they pass over to the other side together?

Theories and ideas aplenty please :) as this is very relative to me and Im confused!

To be honest, I've always understood the idea of a rainbow bridge as a metaphor that some find consoling -- it isn't a part of any formal religious belief or system that I know of; but does circulate around the internet quite a bit now and has become better known. I don't think you will find any clear statement on any distinct rules -- it is pretty much whatever people like to think.

See this: http://cats.about.com/od/lossandgrieving/a/rainbowbridge.htm

Or see this? Maybe some of these books would be of help.

I understand,Im not at all religious,I should have been clearer in stating that in regards to the afterlife nothing has been proved in any way or context.
Its my mum that died last week and my mums dog that has found herself out of a home and needing a new family,and that I am currently fostering her and its me who is searching for some comfort as my mum and her dog had a real bond going on and Id like to think they could meet again somehow.

Thank you for link I shall keep my eyes open for a second hand copy x

Last edited:
Try reading stories written by people who have had near death experiences. I've never read one where a dog was involved, but many people have written about walking into the light and about rejoining loved ones who died before. :lotsaluv:

We "adopted" my mother-in-law's 14 year old Lhasa Apso when she passed away. He lived with us for about two and 1/2 years until it was his time to go to the bridge. I would like to think that he met my mother-in-law there.
J.

My condolences to you in the loss of your mother. I think, if there is a God and he indeed does love us that he would not send us to a heaven where there are no dogs. I'd like to think that if there is a heaven and I wind up there one day, my loved ones and I will be reunited without searching or effort..including my furry ones.

Hugs to you.

It's always been my understanding that time is not the same-i.e. what takes years on this globe is a blink of the eye in afterlife.

It wouldn't be heaven!!

I can't believe that we won't meet our dogs, or vice versa, when we die. After all, how could it be heaven without them. I lost the sweetest dog that I've ever had last week. The poor guy developed diabetes at 8 years old, went deaf, and then went blind. He then developed Cushings disease. Frankie (Tri) was almost 12. I have finally stopped crying daily by the belief that he can now see, hear, and play-and that he will be waiting for me when I die. How can a dog so sweet get hit with all these bad things? His brother (Blen), who I love dearly, is a prima donna. His expressions show every emotion. When he gets a shot he cries and lets me know he's sad. Frankie got 2 shots a day, often sleeping right through it. He also put up with taking 2 pills every A.M., and then 4 every night. I could just hold them out and he would eat them. When I held him as he went to "Sleep" it was so peaceful. I hope that he has found plenty of other cavaliers to run and play with.

Try reading stories written by people who have had near death experiences. I've never read one where a dog was involved, but many people have written about walking into the light and about rejoining loved ones who died before. :lotsaluv:

"90 Minutes in Heaven" by Don Piper is an excellent book on this very subject...

kc

So sorry to hear about your losses.

I've heard people who claim to speak to those who have passed on (and I'm not sure if I believe this but I find it comforting) that they can see not just people but pets ie dogs, cats and even birds surrounding the living as spirits.

Jen

As a child my Dad explained death to me as folls:- "When someone dies, only the old, worn out bits they no longer need get left behind. They take their Soul with them, and everything that made that person so special, every thing they knew, everything they remember, they take with them".

I dont know where they go, but I do know they can, and do visit frequently and know exactly whats going on. You may be unaware when your mum is around, but her dog will know.

This is going to make me sound really weird - but perhaps you could find a Spiritualist Church in your locality - if so, go with a friend - just once.

I'm another one who believes we all meet up after we pass over, animals included, l would definitly want to be where the animals are

I understand,Im not at all religious,I should have been clearer in stating that in regards to the afterlife nothing has been proved in any way or context.
Its my mum that died last week and my mums dog that has found herself out of a home and needing a new family,and that I am currently fostering her and its me who is searching for some comfort as my mum and her dog had a real bond going on and Id like to think they could meet again somehow.

Thank you for link I shall keep my eyes open for a second hand copy x

I'm not sure if this will help but I can only tell you what comforts me.

My Mum died in July and her twelve year old William came to live with me.

I did not really want, or need, another dog, especially one that serenades my little Japanese Chin girl in the early hours.

BUT

My Mum adored him, and when I see how well he has settled in, adapted to life in a multi-dog household, and blossomed with the regular walks, I know she would be so proud of him.

I look at him and thank goodness I have him. While he is here I still have a little bit of her.

Like you, I am not at all religious, but I do believe in the power of love, & I do like to think I will meet up with all my dogs some day and walk along the beach, where their ashes are scattered, with them running & playing around me.

Will William be with me, or with Mum when we are all dead?
I suppose I think he will be with both of us, anything is possible in another world, especially when love is there.

I hope you find some comfort soon.

My very best wishes,

Margaret C

Wow you are all so very helpful.
This is going to make me sound really weird - but perhaps you could find a Spiritualist Church in your locality - if so, go with a friend - just once.
I will.
Margaret C
I look at him and thank goodness I have him. While he is here I still have a little bit of her.
I thought about keeping her and she is a darling in so many ways but aside from being allergic to her(sneezing runny nose,eyes itching,headache,irritable etc)I feel she may be better off with someone in a similar position to my mum - no other animals,one on one attention,long walks.
Will William be with me, or with Mum when we are all dead?
I suppose I think he will be with both of us, anything is possible in another world, especially when love is there.
Thank you for pointing that out,thats comforting.

Back