• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What does everyone feed their cavs?

Ponyprincess

I'm looking for advice for a balanced diet. A lot of you are in the UK and mention food I don't think we have here. Anastasia has been on Pro Plan Selects Lamb and has don't great, but I want to make sure she's getting everything she needs. I do supplement with fish oil, and she's always has a glossy clean coat but I do want to make sure she's eating healthy.

I use Innova regular size for 2 and Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach for 1.
The ProPlan is a result of a long search and trial and error and I'm delighted with it for Annie's needs. I use Fish Oil+Vit.E, Seameal,veggies,roughage.:)

I am having success with a grain-free food right now, Taste of the Wild. It is rated highly and my dogs love it. It has no corn, soy, wheat, rice, barley or anything like that. I don't have to feed nearly as much, either to keep the weight on my large dogs, and it is not too high priced for a grain free food. I pay $42.00 for a 30 lb. bag at Tractor Supply.

I feed my lot Royal Canin or Hills Science Plan (depending on which is easier to get at the time of a bag running out). I find both to be great foods. Another great brand is James Wellbeloved. All three are available in Ireland but I don't know about over the pond. Good luck on your search!

I feed Innova adult and EVO red meat. I accidentally bought the large bites last time but I think I will continue to - it actually makes him chew his food instead of just inhale it!

I have also used Merrick but the Innova seemed easier on their tummys.

I use Wellness Super 5 Mix Lamb. My two just love it, and they have perfectly formed poops :eek: (sorry), but that is a good thing to have. :D

I feed my Newfoundland Orijen 6 Fresh Fish, and he does VERY well on it. He needs a grain-free food; other foods give him diarrhea. I think I'm going to attempt to switch to Taste of the Wild once his supply of Orijen is exhausted, because Orijen is difficult to find. (Right now I have to order it online and have it shipped, but the online stores have been having stock problems recently).

I've found www.dogfoodanalysis.com VERY helpful in selecting foods for Burgess. The Pro Plan Select is only rated 2 out of 6 stars according to that site. They go into details as to why they give the ratings they do; it's strictly based on the ingredients in the food.

When I get a Cav, I will probably feed them the same food as my Newf.

food

I use Innova regular and reduced fat formulas. Riley and Laurel have done so good on this food. Totally Balanced. Although I must admit, they are spoiled and get grated sweet potato on top or cooked broccoli. They love their veggies. Laurel will actually eat head lettuce. lol

Ah food, the great debate. To make everyone happy here is what I have come up with. Having also read many articles about food I alternate Chelsea with Wellness small bite(may try the larger like someone else above said to slow her down), Solid gold small bite for the breeder, and Royal Canin for the vet. Chelsea could care less, eats anything. Have been feeding grain free to the cats, Evo and Origen reduces the vomiting a ton:rolleyes:. Hope all is well.

Mine eat raw but I am thinking about introducing "convenience" dehydrated raw, by The Honest Kitchen, into their diets. I really like this company and the boys love all varieties of their food, even the "Preference", which doesn't contain any meat (you need to supplement this variety with a meat source). This might take the place of their commplicated breakfast that I make for them, I haven't decided yet, but I will continue to feed raw meat for dinner. As for a kibble suggestion, mine have been fed Orijen and Fromm Duck and Sweet Potato when we travel...hope this helps, there are a lot of good foods out there!

First of all - let me state that all of my dogs will eat anything you put in front of them. I do not have picky eaters. I feed Artemis Small Breed Adult and alternate with Wellness and Fromm Duck and Sweet Potato. Depending on the day, I also give them a handful of green beans, pumpkin, bran, or yogurt.

HI! All 3 of my dogs are getting Orijen Senior & 6-fish. They are doing great and loving it!

To cy1266: I have used The Honest Kitchen Force and it's fantastic! Dogs love it, it's easy to prepare, and they do well on it. I will use it again in the future, too. I love FROMM 4-star dry, too! The Whitefish & Pot. is the favorite here!

Both our cavalier pup and golden are on Innova. The pup on puppy food and the retriever on Innova Evo small bites. They both get some sweet potato in morning along with a few bites of banana and broccoli remains in evening.

Since taking pup off a mix of Innova and Orijen, her bms are more solid and she is more regular.

Heather R

thanks for all the advice! I'm going to research all the one's mentioned. it seems like a lot of you give sweet potato as well as dry food, is that supposed to be really good for them? I know they're good for us...

Back