Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Obsessive 'hunting'

Post Thanks / Like

I found this post while searching "OCD" behavior. I've just been told that Lucky exhibits these types of behaviors when it comes to hunting. When he gets in the zone, he doesn't listen, he doesn't know his name and he will not come or be caught. He is completly in a trance and not able to snap out of it. We have taken on the task of trying to modify this behavior with the use of more mental stimulation, outdoor activities that involve him and us (the humans) and I will be talking to the vet about this in two days when I go. Does anyone have any advise as to how to deal with this? It's becoming a safety issue at this point.

Thanks.
    Miles has OCD/CCD behaviors too. He chases shadows, lights, and the reflections from watches and wine glasses. This behavior started to intensify after he had a bad fall; he fell off of our loft onto the wood floor below about 1.5 years ago. As soon as he hit the ground he seizured pretty bad. He has not seizured since (that we're aware of), but the vet did say that he could have some damage down the road. Personally, I believe that his fall contributed to his OCD/CCD tendencies. I work with a homeopathic vet that gives him stramonium; this seems to help with these behaviors. He tends to zone out and frantically chase/stalk shadows and reflections. He needs another dose now because lately he sits and stares at the bathroom wall, waiting for the shadows to move He is so fixated that it is virtually impossible to snap him out of it. The stramonium really helps though, so maybe that's something to look into? Good luck
    Carrie - Mom to my boys, Miles (a Ruby born 4/15/07) and Truman (a B&T born 11/28/07) and my girls, cats Hailey and Kayla (born @ 4/15/04 - they were found as strays )

Post Thanks / Like

rhiannasmom- Our puppy likes to chase dust motes in rays of light either from the sun or a lamp. She gets plenty of exercise & attention. We attribute it to her being a puppy and a hunter, and her excellent eyesight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When he gets in the zone, he doesn't listen, he doesn't know his name and he will not come or be caught. He is completly in a trance and not able to snap out of it.
    In such a case I would treat him the same way you'd treat a blind or deaf dog or any dog with poor recall -- he must ALWAYS be on a lead when outside if the area is not safely fenced and secure. As mentioned, a long line or else a Flexi would give him room to run around when in fields etc ( but I'd probably add a wrist strap for safety to the Flexi if you use one).

No suggestions on the OCD -- this doesn't seem to be a very well understand phenomenon but cavaliers do seem to show these behaviours more than many other breeds. A lot seem to flycatch or be obsessed with shadows and so forth. I'd work to get some video examples of this behaviour for your vet and definitely talk to your vet.

I wonder a lot if all these different tendencies aren't related to the hindbrain pressure almost all cavaliers would have as so few have a roomy skull; also many have dilated ventricles as well which would create extra pressure on the interior of the brain.

This article gives an overview of research:

http://vip.vetsci.usyd.edu.au/conten...15/Synnott.pdf

Note they say that the general conclusion is if this isn't treated with behaviour modification and usually, medications, it almost always grows progressively worse. However this seems to not look at anything done after 2001. Nonetheless most of what I see on the web that is current says the same.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com