• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Night Duty with Cassie

HollyDolly

Let my 15 year old Cassie out for last visit to the garden, she came back in and all of a sudden her head went on one side, her back legs started to wobble, then she fell over. My heart was in my mouth when I got down on the floor with her, she then tried to get up but fell over again and her eyes started to move up and down realy fast. Emergency vet has diagnosed vestubilitis, and only time will tell if she fully recovers. The vet said it is like a stroke but because the eyes are darting up and down it is more likely to be a balance problem. Poor little girl was realy distressed but has settled a little now so I have got the spare duvet out and will camp on settee. Vet said they usually recover in 2 to 3 weeks but can be left with a head tilt.

oh, no, so sorry you are having to go thru this with her. I hope she makes a full recovery. I will be thinking of you.

Oh, so sorry little Cassie is not doing well. Hopefully she will be on the mend soon. :xfngr:

Oh no! poor Cassie, i bet that was a horrible shock! hope you managed to catch some sleep on the sofa and that Cassie recovers well x x

So sorry to hear about little Cassie Its awful when our seniors are suddenly unwell. I hope she will soon make a full recovery, but in the meantime we will be thinking of you and rooting for her.

Sorry to hear that this has happened to cassie, she's been through enough lately. Hope she recovers from this setback,I know you'll do all you can to make her comfortable.
Sins

Fingers crossed here for Cassie; what a frightening experience to go through for you. :flwr: Le us know how she does.

Someone else posted this website on another forum a while back. It's a basic overview of vestibular disease in dogs - sounds like what Cassie has been through. This article says that they also usually recover in about 2 weeks. My Riley has a head tilt from SM and related vestibular problems. It's actually pretty cute.
http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/vestibular.html

I'm so sorry you are going through this. It has to have been terrifying. Keep us all posted on her recovery.

Hi HollyDolly

I do so hope Cassie makes a full recovery :),there seems to be an awful lot of sad stories recently.:(

Best wishes and I hope you dont have to camp downstairs too long ,which of course will also mean Cassie is better.:)

Oh no, I'm so sorry. How is she doing now? Is she ok walking? Bless her, that must have been really scary. :hug::hug:

Poor little Cassie. Must have scared both you and her something awful. Hope she's feeling better.

Oh I'm so sorry to read this, it must have been very scary for you both :(

I do know of a Collie that had vestibular disease and went on to live for many more years, just with a bit of a head tilt.

Hoping that Cassie is doing ok - it's so hard when they are older too, and find it more difficult to get over things.

Hugs to you both. :flwr:

Hi everyone and thankyou so much to all the well wishes for Cassie.
I am delighted to report that she seems much better now, what a trooper she is.
I cannot believe how sudden this attack came on, but after searching the web for info on Vestibular disease it can happen. The frightening part about it is that many owners whose dogs go through this have them PTS:eek: and although under no circumstances would I allow any of my dogs to suffer Hubby and I came very close to doing just that. Anyone seeing her today would find the recovery incredible after witnessing what she was like Saturday night. Nursing a dog with Vestibular disease came be very hard because they find drinking and eating very difficult, to them the world looks upside down, NOT Cassie, Bless.
Thanks again for the support, when posting in the wee small hours of saturday night Sunday morning it was so good to know that I was sharing this with someone, Hubby is very good but sometimes having other cavalier lovers out their realy does help.
May you all have a healthy, peaceful and wonderful christmas, my thoughts go out to all of you with poorly dogs and all those who have lost their beloved pets, and hope 2009 sees better days for them.
Love Nanette xxxxxxxxx

That's great news Nanette, I've been thinking of you both all day. When you are up in the early hours like you and I often are, you can always email me and we can have a chat. Try hard to get some sleep tonight dear. Lots of love xxxxxxx :hug:

Back