• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

my baby has blood in her poo!!

mummy2millie

before i start i would just like to say millie has an appoinment today at the vets at 4pm.
this morning millie went out for her first toilet with her dad at 7am it was still dark the both came in and my hubby went to work,, at about 9am i went to clean her poo and was horrified to see it was really watery with blood in it and drops around it. i immediatly phones the vets and she has a app at 4pm. but i carnt stop worrying about her, shes fine in herself and if it wasnt for seeing her poo i wouldnt of thought anything was wrong.
is this normal has it happended to your cav:(
michelle

It's happened to both of mine when they have had colitis. Both of mine seem to be a bit prone to it.

You're right to see the vet, but breathe a little easier knowing it probably is not as bad as it seems, especially since she is her normal self. Try not to worry too much unless you find out you have a reason to. Good luck at the vets. :xfngr:

thankyou for your reply lani, is it an infection!! when millie was about 7 weeks and she was still at the breeders she had it then and she was antibiotics but i didnt see it. will let you know what the vets says when we get back:xfngr:

Hello

Never had this with my Cavvies, but my old Welshie Becky had a very sensitive tummy and we were at the vets with similar symptoms umpteen times. Usually diagnosed as infection/repeated colitis - worrying when it happened, and I always went to the vet, but it never turned out to be anything life threatening.

Let us know what the vet says later.

This could be many things, but a good possibility is always haemorragic gastroenteritis (HGE) which can be very, very serious -- and fatal -- if not dealt with immediately and allowed to progress. This is why vets always say to immediately get a dog into the vet (especially a puppy, as they are more susceptible) if they show any blood at all in a stool. However if caught at the start it is generally very easy to stop. The vet will likely give an injection to settle her tummy, then a bout of antibiotics for a week to prevent secondary infections. And will likely have you feed a bland diet for a bit.

There are many things from minor to serious that can also cause blood in a stool. IT is generally most worrying if it is dark blood and not bright red. With some dogs, occasional spotting is pretty common and not worrying if it is just something like mild colitis, as Lani notes.

But because a dog with HGE can be severely affected very quickly, it is really important to do as you have done -- make a vet appointment right away. (y) My Lily is a bit prone to HGE -- as soon as I see any blood I stop all food and get her to the vet.

HGE: http://vetmedicine.about.com/b/2006/08/30/what-is-hge-hemorrhagic-gastroenteritis-in-dogs.htm

Same thing with Josie today

Josie (3 months old) also had blood in her poop this morning. It scared me to death because it seemed to be quite a bit of dark red blood. She's had diarrhea since we got her. The breeder is meeting me at her vet's office this afternoon. She went through treatment for ghiardia (sp?) a couple of weeks ago but has since tested negative for it. I'm extremely worried about her. She's been on chicken, rice, and yogurt at the breeder's suggestion since we got her a week ago.

The vet couldn't see her until 3:30, which is 4 1/2 hours from now. Meanwhile, she's been playing normally and doesn't act sick. She hasn't pooped in the last 2 hours.

I hope Millie is okay. Please keep us updated. I'll also let you know what the vet says about Josie.

Lori

Michelle and Lori,

keep us posted on what the vet says. Oh my, I hate it when they're sick. I hope they feel better soon.

Well, my husband took Josie to the vet while I cooked my pies for the family Christmas party tonight, so I didn't get to hear firsthand what the vet said. Apparently, her bacteria levels are low (???), probably as a lingering result of the infection she had had. She was negative for all parasites today, thank goodness. We're to continue feeding her the bland diet of chicken, rice, and yogurt for another week, and she's been put on two medications: Clindaymycin 20mL morning and night and Pro-Pectalin antidiarrheal gel. I believe this is a probiotic.

We're traveling with her and Jasper to Maryland on the day after Christmas, so wish us luck that all goes well on that 12-hour drive. My MIL is a poodle breeder/judge and knows a great deal about dogs, so that makes me feel better.

No more blood--or any poop at all--since this morning. :xfngr:

Lori

morning
sorry for late reply but yesterday was a mad and stressful day....
took millie to vets and she was checked over and her she had a temperature the vets says because i havent changed her food or given her anything out of the ordinary its sounds like an infection, she was given 2 injections and she is on pro-kolin and antimicrobial for next 5 days. she hasnt had a poop yet so not sure what gonna be like but will keep posted. this is my first real scare with her and made us realise how much we love her and want her to be healthy:luv:
shes still in bed now with her dad who she adores!! will post update later..
michelle xx

:) Michelle and Lori,

Pleased to hear that neither of your "babies" seen to have anything seriously wrong. Hope they are both better soon.

Best wishes

Hi Michelle, hope millie is feeling better soon. Pippin used to get this a lot as he suffered from colitis..we discovered he has a severe allergy to chicken.

He got the same treatment millie got and was right as rain in a couple of days!

millie now being sick

today atfer coming back from asda millie had been sick:(
i gave her plain chicken this morning instead of her normal jwb:confused:
ive phoned the vets & still waiting for them to phone me back, shes had chicken before as a reward not as a meal she had about half breast do you think mayby i gave her too much:confused:
michelle

Smaller, more frequent meals of Chicken & Rice are typically better when they are having tummy troubles. According to my many many vet visits on this same issue.

I'm really sorry that Millie is still sick. I hope she's feeling better soon. :xfngr: Please keep us posted and let us know what the vet says. :hug:

It sounds like kind of a lot to me. Daisy cannot handle chicken, though. I have given her boiled chicken breast tidbits during our obedience classes and the next day, without fail, she has horrible black diarrhea that she cannot control. So we don't do chicken, even when she's sick. There are several dogs on the board that are sensitive or even allergic to chicken, so there is the possibility that Millie is, too. I know it's tough to know what to do. People always recommend chicken and rice when they have tummy troubles, but Daisy wouldn't eat it when she was on her eating strike so it was no help, and now when she does eat it, it's explosive diarrhea time. What works for one dog doesn't work for another, so you'll have to try different things to figure out what works for her.

I hope she's feeling better soon. Try not to stress too much. You are doing everything you can for her and being very vigilant, and I'm sure your vet won't let anything get too out of hand. Hopefully you'll get another suggestion from the vet when he/she calls back, or maybe they'll suggest some bland food from the vet's office (Daisy wouldn't eat that either, unfortunately. I think it was ID or ENT or something like that.)

My two don't do well on chicken. They have had many different issues with their stools (blood included) until we figured out chicken was to blame. They eat Wellness 5 Lamb and Rice, and they have been fine ever since. I hope you get things sorted out soon. Poor baby :(, I don't like when they feel bad. Good Luck!

Same thing with Maddie on 23rd Dec.

Maddie had blood in her poo as well on Tuesday. First time she's ever had a tummy upset and she's 4 years old! We didn't get a diagnosis from the vet ~(who looked very young, but maybe I'm getting old. ;)) but it could be anything from the dead bird she ate 4 days previously, or her booster 5 days before, or just one of those things. Anyway, starvation for 24 hours, a bland diet (Hills i/d from the vet as she doesn't tolerate chicken very well, tend to come straight through if you know what I mean) and antibiotics seem to be doing the trick. She's doing normal poo now - the first one was Christmas Day, best present I've had. :jump: and we're introducing her normal food (JWB fish and rice). Strange there's been a few of us with this problem?

I hope Millie and Josie are doing ok.:xfngr:

Hi

Add one more Daisy goes to the vets in the morning (we have to Take our cat Tammi for PTS ) so while there he can see Daisy who had blood in her poops tonight shes not a happy girly.

Hi Brian,
so sorry to hear Daisy has joined the unhappy band of poorly dogs. And how sad to have to take Tammi for PTS as well. Thinking of you, and hoping Daisy gets better soon.
On a plus note Maddie is virtually back to her normal self, and is currently on about 1/2 Hills i/d and 1/2 JWB, and seems to be tolerating the JWB ok. :xfngr:

Hi MadPip

Glad Maddie is now back on the mend ,Daisy saw our vets this morning he remarked on the larger than normal amount of poorly pooches with upset tummys over the hols and gave her an injection to help ,not sure what it was as I was preoccupied with Tammi who Mr Shepherd was attending to next.

Back