Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cavalier's coat texture change

Post Thanks / Like

Question Cavalier's coat texture change

Having just read "My Life with George" I was surprised to read that George's coat changed texture after he was neutered.

I never saw this change in my Tri or Ruby, but wondered if anyone else has seen a difference in their dog's coats after the op.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have seen the charge in Barneys coat it got more cotton woolly
    were brfore it was more gloss
    ---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)
    Cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky& Sam
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference.Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive always understod that neutering does change the coat. It seems to have more effect on dogs than bitches. Our boy had recently been neutered when we got him a couple of months ago. He is now growing long facial hair which is beginning to stick out at all angles Ive never known this on a Cavalier before, and was gonna post to ask if anyone else has seen this? There is no doubt that he's pure bred, so I cant quite fiigure out whats going on here.

Post Thanks / Like

Barney has got long hair on the side of his face lighter than the rest
    ---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)
    Cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky& Sam
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference.Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Pippins coat didn't change after neutering, so I wonder if it's to do with what age they're neutered? I've read My Life With George as well, but can't remember what age he was neutered at. Pippin was 18months old, so maybe the earlier they're neutered the more likely their coat is to change? I'm not sure though, only guessing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It definitely doesn't always change the coat -- and I have seen many intact dogs with wooly, curly and cottony coats as well.

Genetics, diet and whether a dog is overweight all can have a considerable effect on coats. Also many breeders feel very strongly that if you have the coat trimmed and shaved down, it will permanently affect the coat of many dogs and make it woolier, cottony, and curlier.

I would say that 70% of cavaliers I see, at least, are overweight, and this can affect the state of the coat. For that matter 70% at least of all dogs I see are overweight (though owners clearly think they are in good weight!). And most dogs are fed pretty mediocre supermarket diets as well. So I think it is hard to attribute coat changes to any one factor unless you have eliminated all others over a lifetime.

Of my four, all neutered, only Lily has a cottony flyaway coat.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Toby was neutered at 1 year old and his coat changed immediately. It is sort of 'fluffy' and grows out rather than down. Hence during the summer months I have him trimmed, though I leave it in the winter. He's not overweight and I didn't have him trimmed when he was first neutered so I don't believe that has made any difference in his case.

So unlike Rufus he doesn't look classic Cavalier, but he is still as cute.
    Last edited by Jan Bell; 1st January 2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Added sentence
    Jan
    Owned by Rufus (B&T) and Piper (Border Terrier) and in loving memory of 12 years of Toby joy (Tri cavalier) - waiting at the rainbow bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for all your comments on the coat issue. Young Murphy will need to be neutered at some stage, because of a retained testicle, so it's a case of having to.

My other cavvies were neutered when they were over 2 years old.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=diddy;302280] Our boy had recently been neutered when we got him a couple of months ago. He is now growing long facial hair which is beginning to stick out at all angles Ive never known this on a Cavalier before, and was gonna post to ask if anyone else has seen this? quote]

its pretty common on the cheeks.
    my montys now grown an inch long beard and moustache
    Teresa and Monty

Post Thanks / Like

I was worry about this, but have seen no changes.