• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier's coat texture change

LovesCavaliers

Having just read "My Life with George" I was surprised to read that George's coat changed texture after he was neutered.

I never saw this change in my Tri or Ruby, but wondered if anyone else has seen a difference in their dog's coats after the op.

Yes I have seen the charge in Barneys coat it got more cotton woolly
were brfore it was more gloss
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

Ive always understod that neutering does change the coat. It seems to have more effect on dogs than bitches. Our boy had recently been neutered when we got him a couple of months ago. He is now growing long facial hair which is beginning to stick out at all angles:eek: Ive never known this on a Cavalier before, and was gonna post to ask if anyone else has seen this? There is no doubt that he's pure bred, so I cant quite fiigure out whats going on here.

Barney has got long hair on the side of his face lighter than the rest
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

Pippins coat didn't change after neutering, so I wonder if it's to do with what age they're neutered? I've read My Life With George as well, but can't remember what age he was neutered at. Pippin was 18months old, so maybe the earlier they're neutered the more likely their coat is to change? I'm not sure though, only guessing. :)

It definitely doesn't always change the coat -- and I have seen many intact dogs with wooly, curly and cottony coats as well.

Genetics, diet and whether a dog is overweight all can have a considerable effect on coats. Also many breeders feel very strongly that if you have the coat trimmed and shaved down, it will permanently affect the coat of many dogs and make it woolier, cottony, and curlier.

I would say that 70% of cavaliers I see, at least, are overweight, and this can affect the state of the coat. For that matter 70% at least of all dogs I see are overweight (though owners clearly think they are in good weight!). And most dogs are fed pretty mediocre supermarket diets as well. So I think it is hard to attribute coat changes to any one factor unless you have eliminated all others over a lifetime.

Of my four, all neutered, only Lily has a cottony flyaway coat.

Toby was neutered at 1 year old and his coat changed immediately. It is sort of 'fluffy' and grows out rather than down. Hence during the summer months I have him trimmed, though I leave it in the winter. He's not overweight and I didn't have him trimmed when he was first neutered so I don't believe that has made any difference in his case.

So unlike Rufus he doesn't look classic Cavalier, but he is still as cute.

Last edited:
Many thanks for all your comments on the coat issue. Young Murphy will need to be neutered at some stage, because of a retained testicle, so it's a case of having to.

My other cavvies were neutered when they were over 2 years old.

Our boy had recently been neutered when we got him a couple of months ago. He is now growing long facial hair which is beginning to stick out at all angles:eek: Ive never known this on a Cavalier before, and was gonna post to ask if anyone else has seen this? quote]

its pretty common on the cheeks.
my montys now grown an inch long beard and moustache :rotfl:

Coat

I have never experienced a Cavaliers coat to change texture after being neutered (regardless of age), but I have had two bitches whose coat changed colour after they were spayed - I had a blen whose ears lightened and by the time she went over the bridge they were looking pretty white. My current tri bitch has had some colour change on her back/base of tail area - she used to be a very jet black and after her spay this area turned more brownish that totally black.

My original cavalier Ciara was a Black and Tan, she had a beautiful glossy and silky coat which changed to a woolly and dull coat after spaying and she grew coarse facial hair that needed regular trimming to stop her looking like Sylvester the cartoon cat .

rubys mom

my rubys coat changed after she was spayed shes like a wooly mammoth and has the side wiskey bitson her sweet face :p her fur also seems to grow out and up instead of down just makes her look like a big teddy bear :luv: i dont mind thou id love her any old way :jump:

My Lucie got speyed at 18mths old. By 8 weeks after it she had gained 1.5 kilos and her fur was dull and whispy....and still is.
I cut her JWB food down to 120g a day and increased her exercise and she still put weight on.Even now I have to be so careful with her food.She only needs to look at it and it goes onto her!
As for her coat....i think i am fighting a loosing battle with that one. Her hair grows out the way and is now going curly(she has never been shaved).Its not as soft as it used to be...quite dry despite buying various shampoo's/conditioners.
Although....i love her regardless!

My Ruby's coat went very wooly after she was spayed, and was dull for a while, now its not too bad. She is still beautiful though. :lotsaluv:

Back