• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hair removal cream

Ciren

i try to keep herself's paw trimmed. problem is the minute i go near her with a pair of scissors she runs off not looking happy. shavers get a even worse reaction. so i wondered, would hair removal cream be a bad idea?

YES. There are horrible chemicals that she would likely lick off. Do not use hair removal cream on a dog's skin.

Take her to a groomer if you don't want to do her feet yourself as they can do them safely.

You should never use a regular scissors on their feet anyway -- you need a very small round ended scissors made for doing feet. Never, ever a pointed large pair or small pair.

As Karlin says hair removal cream would not be a great idea, I got a nasty burn a few years ago from a hair removal cream.

i don't use normal scissors, credit me with some intelligence :p

i don't mind doing it myself its just she is obviously scared of shavers which is what a groomer would use surely?

My two did not tolerate scissoring my me....but took it from my groomer without issue. I think they sensed my hesitation but knew Shauna meant business and wasn't taking any guff. I did buy the Pedicure and use it comfortably on both of the dogs. I won't say that Jake "likes" it but he does tolerate it.

I've thought of it myself when they come in muddy ,lol
jenny doesnt like grooming & her legs are so thin I worry about cutting her toes off! & with auburn having 3 legs its very difficult as I can't pick his feet up. he has to lay on his back

chinese crested are shaved & done with hair removal cream for the show ring though I wouldnt fancy using it on my dogs.

My two hate having their paw hair trimmed and it has taken almost two years to get them used to being groomed. With rescue dogs you have to very slowly introduce them to new things like grooming. I started off by just letting them see and sniff the scissors and then I rubbed it against their paws and after a couple of weeks of doing that, then I trimmed just a little hair and gradually, over time,I gained their trust. Dogs don't much care for anyone touching their feet anyway.

If you are nervous (and your dog will sense this) then why don't you just take her in for a quick visit to the groomer. I'm sure she/he would be happy to trim Peaches paws every few weeks.

It's so cold out, I'm going to leave Dylan's pads for now. I think it's good to get dogs who need trimming used to having their feet handled. I started very early on when Dylan was weeks old. They don't naturally like it. I'd do this for a while, no scissors, just holding the paw briefly and progressing to a paw massage, best done while your dog is lying down and sleepy. Then I would just try one paw at a time, one snip at a time if need be. It might take you all week but you'll get there. I use hairdressing scissors but then Dylan doesn't move! (Can't resist adding one of my favourite pics!)
2462495766_df029bf47c.jpg

That is such a cute picture! Mindy HATES having her feet touched. Generally it takes one of us to hold her and the other to clip nails. I don't do as good a job as the groomer in trimming her pads so I've given up. I like to keep them trimmed so she doesn't get ice balls. She was 8 months when we got her and I was more of a wuss about making her do stuff she didn't like. I trimmed Max's toenails the first day we got him (and they needed it!) and clip them a tad every week or so to keep him used to it. There is enough hair in his pads now that I should probably trim it to get him used to it. I touch his feet daily when we cuddle so he won't shy away as much as Mindy does.

OMG that pic is hilarious.

They don't naturally like it. I'd do this for a while, no scissors, just holding the paw briefly and progressing to a paw massage, best done while your dog is lying down and sleepy. Then I would just try one paw at a time, one snip at a time if need be. It might take you all week but you'll get there.

Yes that is the approach that is needed. Gentle regular handling and just a bit at a time and treats as rewards. I find Jaspar struggles initially then relaxes. He is the hardest along with Lucy. I trim all my cat's nails too but sometimes can only get a paw done at a time before they get fed up! :lol:

I can only trim the boys' pads when they are tired. I generally do it really early in the morning, because they sleep in the bathroom while I'm getting ready. I trim the hair with scissors and they usually don't even move. If I try doing it later in the day they're too squirmy. When I take them in to get their nails trimmed the groomer will use the shaver on their pads. She's really good about not trimming the slippers, although I'm always nervous they'll move their paws and their slippers will be gone! :eek:

I did buy the Pedicure and use it comfortably on both of the dogs. I won't say that Jake "likes" it but he does tolerate it.

Cathy T: Do you find that the Peticure has enough power to trim your dogs' nails? I tried using one with my boys but it took SO long for each nail, that I finally returned it and ordered a Dremel (that's what the woman who trims their nails uses). I haven't received it yet, but I'm excited to try it, their nails are always so rounded and smooth when an electric file is used.

Back