• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Best Thing to get Engraved on ID Tag?

Shivers

I was just wondering what would be the best thing to get engraved on a dogs ID tag? I want to get some done for my dogs and I know some people say its not a great idea to put your dogs name on it, what do you think?
My family name and phone number
Dogs name + Family name and phone number
Any other information that would be relevant?

If you're getting tags engraved for a few dogs the cost can add up.
keep it short and sweet.
Most people wouldn't add the dogs's name in case a thief called the dog by name and made it easy to make off with him.

So on one side just add your phone number.
On the other side you could try adding
"Scan me
I'm chipped."

"chipped and neutered
scan me"

Wow. I'd never thought about someone trying to steal a 'found' dog that way. I guess it would make sense to just put your phone number on the tag.
Good advice!

Melissa

I've always thought it to be a good idea to write "spayed" or "neutered" on the back of a tag.

I have:
Phone # to be contacted at
Microchipped
VetInsurance# just in case there is an emergency and I'm not able to talk or something

On the back of Bailey's it reads: 'I have epilepsy, medication required daily' I think the next ones I buy I'll get our vet's number on it too just in case my number can't be reached at the time.

Also I'd get 'perscription diet required' put on Holly's.

At least then if they did happen to fall into the wrong hands they wouldn't be long returning, nothing like medical complications to put people off.

'Reward offered' is a good idea too.

I highly reccommend these tags, I bought my two form there and it cost only 12euro including delivery: http://www.boomerangtags.com/store/list.php?A=G&ID=2&k=h

Bwaaaahaaaa!

My husband chimes in... 'How about putting on the name tag 'Herpes'. Then you can tell people "The doctor says if she's good, she'll get better."
A quote via 'Priscilla Queen of the Desert'. :)

Mine have tags on their collars with their name and address on them incase they slip out of the house. They also have 2 tags on their harnesses, one with their address and phone number on it and one with just their name but that's more for us to make sure the right dog goes into the right harness :D

I wouldn't put the address on mine. They know you are out looking for your dog and rob your house! Legally in the UK I think you only need your name and telephone number. Less is more. (y)

I have their name on the front of the tag and my first name and telephone numbers (landline and mobile) on the back.

I have their names on one side (although I had one done for my parents dog & they didnt want Muttley's name on his) & then on the other I have both my mobile & Marks mobile number & our address.

I think ( if I'm right) you have to have a name (not necessarily the dogs name) and at least a house number and post code on the tag + phone number. This is the bare minimum we get away with when we are checked for our KC Good Citizen Awards.

Lots of really helpful tips / information. Thanks everyone!
Ill have to try and narrow it down a bit or they will end up as essays! :p

Dog Tags

I currently have "Name" on one side and my phone number on the other. I have, however, ordered new tags (the current ones are quite grubby and bashed up), also from www.boomerangtags.com. with:

Front
My phone number
Vets phone number
(both indicated as to which one they are)

Back
Neutered
Microchipped (and where they are registered - pain in the bum that there is not one giant database)
Requires Daily Medication (on the lady that does need it)

I have put no personal info (names or addresses) just because I tend to err on the side of caution and if anything did happen most people would ring a phone number before doing anything else for sheer convenience (at least, anytime I have found dogs this is what I do...)

I like the idea of also putting tags on harnesses though, good idea Ste (y)

I had read this somewhere. It said the single biggest way for someone to call is if the dog tag reads this and only this:

I'M LOST!
Phone number
Phone number

Think about it. If a dog wandered up in your yard looking happy and well-fed and it had a tag that showed it lived just around the corner, you might be inclined to think it's owner just let it out and it is roaming a bit, and you might just be inclined to let it continue on its way (at least here in the U.S, tons of idiots let their dogs do this). It isn't unusual for dogs to be out and about. BUT, if that tag reads I'M LOST! and you can't even see where it lives, you are more likely to hold onto the dog long enough to call because you are going to think...hmmm, I bet the owner doesnt know they are missing, I'd better call. Put as many phone contacts as you can on there. I list both my numbers and when it fits, I put my parents number as well.

Also, you are supposed to put nothing else. No address, no name of dog (easy for someone to feel connected to a dog if they know the name...they might decide to keep them), no owner name. If you have a seperate tag from the microchip company that says they are chipped with the brand, you won't need that on the ID tag, anyway.

Last edited:
I only have my name and phone number, on the back of Lucy's I have "dog is deaf". I will not put their name on it because if someone finds them and knows their names they will keep them.

I just have my name and ph number on my dog's tag.
Years ago we had a collie and my parent's were advised by the trainer not to put the dog's name on the tag in case he was ever lost/stolen.
I think the "scan me I'm chipped" is a great idea.

The law in the UK is that the dog must carry an identity tag which must state the owners name and address.
The bare minimum we advise at our puppy classes is surname, address (house no and post code).
But always think its good to have a telephone number and the fact that the dog is microchipped/neutered.

Back