• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pet Insurance Reviews--very helpful

Thanks that is so helpful. (y) I was just asked by someone at work about Pet Insurance. I just forwarded him your link. Thanks :flwr:

Do a lot of people here have pet insurance for their cavs? I had asked my vet about it and he didn't seem to think that it was too important to have. Charlie is a year old and I don't know if it is a good investment or not. :confused:

I wish I had gotten pet insurance for all my dogs. Our German shepherd had a seizure disorder, Riley has SM, Oz has a heart murmur, and Oliver has had periodic back or hip problems. I think insurance would have covered it all. The most expensive so far has been Riley's decompression surgery and the meds for her and our GS (who died about 6 years ago). If you're thinking about it annie, do it before Charlie has any documented problems. It's too late for me!

I recently got insurance with Embrace for Chelsea. Of course she had 2 visits prior to the 2 week waiting period. Oh well. I also think I used the site posted that had comparison, and visited one that gave each insurance a rating(the same one?) very helpful. I had seen that another forum member had this company and was very happy with the company.

With all the potential genetic diseases, finding a company that will cover these and give some peace of mind over potential future expenses is worth the small monthly cost. (I pay 3x that for satelite tv):dogwlk:

I also recently got Embrace insurance for Bella and Koda. I believe it will come in very handy if Bella eventually has any of the health issues that cavs get. I wanted to get it early so that there wouldn't be a pre- existing condition clause. From what I read, Embrace was the only one that covered genetic conditions if not pre existing. They seemed to have the most positive reviews on that website also. I got the highest coverage available, $10,000.00 a year max and a 10% deductable. It may be overkill, but I wanted to be prepared for anything! Considering the cost of MRIs and medications, I felt better getting higher coverage. Hopefully, I will never need it,:xfngr: but I am prepared if we do!(y)

As far as I'm aware theres only 1 company (Allianz) that does pet insurance in Ireland - it's so not fair, they're a good company (I think!) but it would be good if there las a little more compatition!

I am in Ireland and I used petinsure.ie and just did it online. Its approx €15 per month by DD for one dog. They mailed out my policy documents and they are pretty much the same as Allianz (I think with Allianz the excess is slightly higher). I only have Belle insured as there were no documented health problems.

Prince has a low grade heart murmur and some ear problems so these will be his most likely health issues in the future . I am torn what to do with him. I could insure anyway in the event that he is ever hurt in an accident or get some other medical condition but it wouldnt cover and heart or ear problems for him so I think I might just open a bank account and DD an amount each month into it and fingers crossed we wont have to dip into it too much :xfngr:

I use allianz petplan but it's very expensive,but offers lifetime cover.
I hadn't realised there was a second option.petplan excess has now gone up to 75Euro so i'm never likely to see any benefit for genaral vet fees.The vet only charged me 35Euro for what he did last night.
Sins

Not happy with my ASPCA pet insurance (in America)

I had high hopes for ASPCA's primary care plan, which is supposed to cover pretty much everything except vaccinations. The cost for Jasper was only $250 a year. I filed several claims for him a couple of weeks ago and got turned down for every single thing today with no good explanation. I had all the paperwork in order, filed well within the time limit. The things that I had filed were Jasper's urinary tract infection (including diagnostic tests and medications for that) and his neutering. According to their website, these things are supposed to be covered under my plan. The letter says they were denied because of "code 25." They didn't explain what that was, and I can't find it on their website, either. I'm going to call tomorrow morning to find out what it means. I was planning to put Josie on the same insurance, but I'm not going to do it now, and I'm not going to renew Jasper's when it's due in May.

Jasper and Josie will definitely be insured...just not with this company. Thanks, Linda, for the link. I've got to do some more research and find a more reliable company.

Lori

Hi Lori. We went with Embrace but its a bit pricey--of course we went with a deductible of $100.00 with co-pay of 10% and for both Bentley and Abbey its $92.17 per month. I'm thinking that since Abbey is 5--her birthday is tomorrow--:) and because of pre-existing conditions etc. that we'll probably end up cancelling it. Since we just got Bentley we will keep this for his whole life. I'm taking them in next week and I'll let you know how it goes.

Mine are insured with PetCare, which I can't stand! They are non-responsive and rude :mad: I sent my paperwork into Embrace to find out if Truman has an existing condition for something, and I'm waiting to hear back from them. So far my communication with them has been great - they are proactive and pleasant. Plus they're $20/months cheaper than PetCare :D I'm hoping to switch my two to Embrace ASAP! They have excellent reviews on that insurance site!

Embrace won my confidence when I had to submit the very pricey vet bills for Pixie last summer. Not only did they promptly pay their full 90%, excluding nothing (even the $400.00 for the ventilator which the vet hospital said many insurance companies won't pay for), but they were compassionate in the face of my very fragile state at the time since Pixie didn't survive. They handled many of the things that normally the pet owner is supposed to gather and submit and they were very caring. I even got an email from the CEO of the company when I bought policies for Bandit and Lizzie congratulating us on our new additions, telling us she was happy for us, and asking for a photo.

I give Embrace 2 thumbs up.

I have PetPlan for my two. I've not had to use it but have a friend who has with her Cavalier and she said they've been amazing.

Back