• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Groomers Instructions-Advice Pls

Brian M

Hi

After a disastrous visit to the Groomers early Dec I have made an appointment for Sat 17

Th Jan at a new place as there is no way I would give the other lot a second chance ,fortunately Rosie only had a light trim whilst poor Poppy and Daisy lost most of their traditional Cavalier coat .Its slowly recovering so could I pls ask for advice as to the exact wording I should use for the new groomers just so there can be no misunderstanding ,I just want them all to look like proper KCCS so your advice would be most wellcome pls.

The lady who totally messed them up has had the cheek to phone me on 4 occasions (Did not speak to her just took answer phone messages ) saying she has times she can fit them in ,when I collected the girls I was so dumbstruck I overpaid her by £20.00 she can keep that cos I aint going anywhere near again.

Await your guidance pls on above.

Would it help to download a picture of what you want? You could include under the picture your exact instructions.:)

Hello Brian

I'm a groomer and I generally ask for the owners to be very specific about what they want. If you don't want the body coat clipping , say so. Say you want them thoroughly combed out and if you want their leg feathering etc left on make sure you say so. Just say that you want the leg feathers and skirt (under tum) lightly trimmed and tidied up. A groomer would normally do a 'spaniel foot' which means that the feet would have all feathering removed inbetween the toes,so if you don't want that tell them no spaniel feet and again just tidied up. Also tell them what you want doing with the tail and ears. ( how much you want trimmed off if any).
A good groomer should be able to remove undercoat ,leaving the coat nice and flat without using clippers. Hope this helps. Good luck

Having had a closer look at your Daisy in your new pic of her, I honestly wouldn't trim her at all Brian.I know they can shed like little demons,but if you're having them professionally groomed every four/six weeks,it's easy to keep them in pristine condition with a daily brushing.(and some serious hoovering of house)
Would you consider just letting the groomer do a wash/dry/nail trim and see how they get on with her?It's a good way to get to know her and let her get to know you and build a relationship where you can freely talk with your groomer and build up an understanding.It's better to trim too little than too much.
Sins

Hi Sins

Thanks all for your comments ,Sins as Daisy had a number 2 previously what you suggested was what I thought IE do nothing really apart from bath ,nails and ears and maybe just straggly bits that may have developed or missed last time and that will give the coat time to recover and also the same for Poppy .Out of the three Daisy is by far the most wriggly ,vociferous and just does not like me combing her at all she howls like mad its as if I am amputating her left leg ,so theres no chance of me doing it ,but I asked everybody because I wanted to make sure I didn't overlook anything at all and after two bad experiences of groomers in the past I wanted to ensure all eventualities were covered.:) And I will do what other members have suggested I have loads of Cavalier books so I will take one of them with me and show a Photo. Thanks All.

Would it help to take this wording to the breeder? This is from the AKC breed standard. I know it refers to dogs in the show ring, but, for me, it is what I strive for:

Feathering on ears, chest, legs and tail should be long, and the feathering on the feet is a feature of the breed. No trimming of the dog is permitted. Specimens where the coat has been altered by trimming, clipping, or by artificial means shall be so severly penalized as to be effectively eliminated from competition. Hair growing between the pads on the underside of the feet may be trimmed.

Last edited:
Back