• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

heart murmur in 2.5 yr old

chopsuey 47

Been to the vet today with Luka to check his problem with his back as mentioned in the post the other day. That seems to have cleared up but the vet mention a heart murmur that she said was almost indetetectable but which she thought she heard. Didnt seem concerned just mentioned that he will need checking annually.

Having come home and read the postsabout early onset MVD I wonder if I should ask for a second opinion and a referral to a cardiologist.

One thing, before the exam, I had excercised him and he had run quite energetically most of the 30 minute session which finished up at the vets surgery. His heart rate would still have been high. Could this have given the impression of a murmur. He shows no other signs and is very energetic. He had his boosters 3 months ago and the vet then didnt notice anything or at least didnt say he heard a murmur.

Would someone give me the benefit of their knowledge.

Thanks so much.
Sue

My Oz was diagnosed with a grade 1 murmur at 4 months of age after I took hm to the vet for what I think was an incident of episodic falling syndrome. The vet referred me to the cardiologist who confirmed a murmur and 2nd degree heart block by EKG, ultrasound and he wore a holter monitor for 24 hours. At his last visit to the vet (one month ago) for his rabies shot, his regular vet couldn't hear the murmur. For my own peace of mind, I took him back to the cardiologist today who confirmed that he does still have a murmur, unchanged thankfully from a year ago. She said it was a soft murmur caused by leaking across the mitral valve and it could only be heard in certain places when listening with a stethoscope. She was not surprised that the regular vet could not hear it. Even though it's only a grade 1 out of 6, the cardiologist recommended a yearly checkup with her, sooner if we detect problems. She also said that when diagnosed under the age of 5 they typically will have more severe symptoms later on. My recommendation would be to ask for a referral to a cardiologist. Everything was painless for Oz and now I know to be on the lookout for symptoms.

Also, just wanted to add that Oz is a little pistol - very active and energetic and always on the go - like Luka. Luckily, no symproms yet except for that one incident of episodic falling syndrome which I think is more neurological than cardiac.

You might want to take Luka to a cardiologist to find out the grade of his murmur and to get further instructions for how often he should be re-checked. :flwr:

I think it would be wise to do as Cathy suggests and get a referral to a cardiologist.

Often if they develop a murmur under the age of 5, it doesn't actually get any worse until they are much older, but it is worth getting them checked annually, at the very least by a vet experienced with Cavalier hearts, but preferably by a cardiologist.

If a Cavalier is ill, a murmur will be more apparent - sometimes when they recover, it will "disappear" although in reality, it is still present, just too quiet to hear. Bitches sometimes present with murmurs when in season, that "disappear" afterwards.

50% of Cavaliers will have a murmur by the age of 5.

I have booked to see cardiologist today. I had a conversation with her over the phone and she was very reassuring, but totally agreed that it was definately the right thing to have him assessed. Given his breed and the fact we are insured I will feel much more in control if we are monitoring it.

We have had a horrid few days, looking at him as is we are going to lose him any minute. I have scoured this forum and have seen the good the bad and the ugly. It helps to know as much as possible.

I am feeling much better now as the collitis/ discomfort that prompted the vet visit it the first seems to have passed and Luka is back to his normal self. He cant believe his luck though, every member of the family husband and three kids cant leave him alone.

Thank you all for your support.
Sue and Luka

Exercise would not have made a murmur come on suddenly.

Keep in mind most vets do not correctly hear early murmurs at all -- and get the grades wrong -- so there's a good chance that there isn't a murmur at all especially as your vet wasn't even that sure she'd heard anything. A cardio can tell you that so you are right to have this checked. If there is a murmur then it is a good idea to see a cardio anyway so either way, it's the right decision.

Back