• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What's going on with his eye?!

KingstonsMom

Kingston has suddenly acquired a white, cloudy spot in the corner of his eye. It's located on the iris and doesn't appear to be bothering him whatsoever. I've searched the Internet far and wide but can't seem to find any good information on this. He went to daycare today, so I'm hoping he wasn't injured in some way. He was scratched by a cat in that same eye two years ago, so I'm hyper-sensitive about it. Is this serious? I'm calling the vet in the morning.

Doesn't sound like a cataract... which eye is it located on? I've taken a course in Iridology (study of the iris and how it relays info about how the body is functioning) and could look at my charts to see if it might be a sign of something internal going on. But, honestly, I'd just check in with the vet to be safe.

Let us know how it goes!

Melissa

It could be a lipid (fatty) deposit or it could have developed as a result of an injury in which case it needs a vets attention and some ointment. I never hesitate with eyes and if the problem persists for over 24 hours I take them to the vet.

It could be lipid deposits. I can't remember the medical term for it.:eek:
Lexie has them in both of her eyes. Let us know what your vet tells you.

I'd check with the vet to catch any trouble early just in case. Bandit has scratched his eye a couple of times, and the vet stressed how that is actually considered an emergency since an eye problem can quickly progress to something that would cost the dog their eye.

Let us know what you learn. Hope it winds up being nothing!

It's in his left eye, in the inner corner on the iris. The white part of his eye looked very red yesterday which is what prompted me to take a closer look. The redness is usually caused by allergies, and is most prominent after he's been playing outside. I'm thinking the cloudy spot is in fact lipid deposits. It looked better this morning. I decided not to call the vet unless it gets worse or if Kingston starts having discomfort. He's scheduled for a dental cleaning in a few weeks, so I'll have them take a look then.

I'd recommend taking him in. The emergency vet where Bandit went the first time he scratched his eye, and his regular vet where I took him when his eyes were red and squinty last week both said to treat anything with the eyes as an emergency since the eye can go from seeming like something mild to a situation where they lose the eye within 24 hours.
Here is what a veterinarian says elsewhere online:

In most veterinary practices the entire staff has been directed to prioritize all calls that express concern about a potential ocular difficulty. The reason for expediting the evaluation of any case relating to eye difficulties is that there is no way for verbal description to convey the true nature or severity of the problem. Seemingly innocent conditions can fool you… and result in an ocular emergency rather rapidly. These cases simply must be seen right away.

Another site says eyes "can get worse very quickly. IMMEDIATE diagnosis and treatment is critical."

ON the other hand, if it is lipid deposits, it may not be an immediate crisis, but these deposits are usually, though not always, caused by other diseases that need to be diagnosed and treated. High cholesterol levels (controlled by diet) or hypothyroidism (controlled by medication) are both causes.

I hope it turns out to be nothing!

Lipid deposits are pretty common and usually do not need treatment but occasionally there can be an underlying problem. They seem to be fairly common in cavaliers as well. Lily has had one ever since I got her.

But as others say, have anything odd checked right away, as you are doing. (y)

Back