• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Worried about Boarding Kennels

Kelly

Happy New Year to everyone. I havent been on very much in the last few months as we have been extending our family. No, I still havent managed to talk my husband in to letting me have another cavalier but we have had a beautiful baby girl.

Chester has been amazing with her, we are so proud of him. He just sniffs her a little and then wanders off. He has taken a liking to her dummies though so we are busy teaching him to leave them alone.

Anyway, we are looking to go on holiday in September, our first one abroad since we have had Chester, but I am a little worried about putting him in boarding kennels. I really dont think he is the type of dog that would cope with being in a kennel for 2 weeks. He really is a "people" dog rather than a "dogs" dog and I just think he would get poorly & depressed.

I just wondered whether anyone knew of any boarding kennels which have more interaction than "one walk a day", or if anyone knew of anyone who looked after dogs in their homes? We live in Hertfordshire, but would be willing to travel if I knew he was being well looked after.

You've got to feel for my little girl if I am this protective (my husband calls it neurotic!!) of my little dog!

Congratulations on your daughters birth! I'm so glad to hear that Chester has adapted to her so well. Sorry I don't know of any kennels in your area.

Could you board him with your breeder? My breeder boards dogs that she has bred and she feeds them exactly how you want, they have a ton of room to run around, and they stay in the house and are part of the family while they're there. We have never boarded our boys anywhere (my parents always take them), but when we go on our honeymoon this year I think we might have her watch them. Just an idea if that's an option for you...good luck!

I have left Oliver a couple of times, just for 2 or 3 days, at local boarding kennels which are quarantine kennels as well - excellent facilities, plenty of well-trained staff who spend time with the dogs, and secure exercise area. Oliver loves going there and they love having him. I did weeks of market research, visiting local kennels, before I found this place - it felt good and well-run and caring as soon as I walked in and although it is a bit more expensive than some others, I have no hesitation about leaving Oliver there. He, like yours, is a people dog (what Cavalier isn't??). In my experience, boarding kennels which are also quarantine kennels tend to be better - they get inspected more closely! Why not try the best kennels in your area for a couple of days before you decide whether to leave your dog there for longer?

Kate and Oliver

When I go away I leave Mindy with a lady who boards dogs in her house. She adores Mindy and Mindy loves it there so I don't mind leaving her. She will be excited that we have Max too.

Kelly,

Congrats on your baby girl :flwr: :rah: :luv:!!!!

Maybe when you go to drop Chester off leave a few bits of your clothing (Obviously not your best dress ;)) with him to let him have the smell of you in the kennels for a few days, it might calm him down a bit (y).

Good luck with finding a Kennel, (sorry i couldn't help in that department)

Rajacadoo.

Can't help in the kennel situation but it sounds like he (and you) would feel better if he was in a home boarding situation.

Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl!

Back