Results 1 to 1 of 1

Thread: Warning...........potpourri

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    2,918
    Post Thanks / Like

    Exclamation Warning...........potpourri

    ........I just received this from a friend

    CKCS CLUB OF NORTHERN ARIZONA
    Please read this, a big danger for dogs and kids
    We have suffered a terrible, terrible tragedy last Wed. December 3rd 2008 !!
    Two, beloved Cavaliers of mine, Haley and Zoe both ate potpourri from
    a decorative basket in my living room . Within hours, they were
    vomiting it, convulsing and going into total body rigidity and shock.
    We took them to the after hours clinic, they had no idea what it
    could be and wouldn't listen to me about them vomiting potpourri at
    home and how I had such concerns about the toxic effects of it. They
    treated symptoms. We transferred them to our day vet. He also
    wouldn't listen to me about the potpourri theory. He said they
    had "strychnine" poisoning symptoms. I kept telling him that the
    potpourri was Made In India, sold by a company in California and sold
    at my local WalMart. My heart told me that it was the culprit of[
    their condition. They declined rapidly throughout the day and we
    transferred them back to the after hours clinic for a second night.
    At midnight, I made the agonizing decision to put them to sleep.
    Haley was in constant seizures that wouldn't stop, fluid was filling
    up in her lungs, body temp was dropping on both of them, Zoe was
    lying almost lifeless on the table, struggling with every breath she
    took. Every muscle was completely rigid, you couldn't even move her.
    I have devoted the last couple of days (now that I can get out of bed
    and function) to researching my concerns with the potpourri and have
    since found out I was right............there is a lab in England that
    has case studies on toxic potpourri from India!! The
    toxin....strychnine, which in it's commercial source, comes from a
    certain tree grown in India. I am completely heart broken over this.
    Please be aware of the potential toxins in any and all stuff like
    this in our homes. I would've never guessed this could happen but
    when I saw them both "playing" in the potpourri and then after about
    two hours saw the symptoms of a poisoning, I just put two and two
    together.
    Last edited by Claire L; 9th January 2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: stupid formatting....doh!
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •