• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Travelling to Ireland... any restrictions??

Ejay

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of taking their pets on hol to Ireland (or for those of you in Ireland, to the UK)...

We've got a wedding to go to in August of this year, and me and Nick were hoping to stay for a few weeks as i've always wanted to see Ireland. The easiest crossing for us will be Pembroke-Rosslare, and then drive up to NIreland. Am not entirely sure where in NI the wedding is, but the plan is to hopefully hire out a holiday cottage (which accept pets) for a week and then possibly camp our way back down to Rosslare...

my question is how easy is it to take dogs accross? we really want to bring Lily and Bailey with us, but does anyone know if we need documentation, pet passports etc?? both dogs are microchipped and innoculated, do we need to do anything else?

Any advice would be appreciated :dogwlk:

Very easy. Just be sure to check with the ferry company before booking -- most if not all take dogs. Some let you keep them in a crate in the car; others may want you to put them in on-board kennels. They cannot be up on deck with you. Some companies require you tell them in advance that you will have a dog but there's no charge for bringing one.The dog for safety should never be harnessed or loose in the car. Good idea to bring a vax card but not necessary. Make sure you have tag and collar on at all times. I've taken my dogs over and back a few times.

Thanks Karlin, the info is very much appreciated! i will contact Irish Ferries and see what they need us to do - i'm so glad i can bring them with us!! :jump:

Thanks again (y)

We've travelled over with our cavalier to pick up a new puppy, and no problems at all :D

However if you're planning to camp your way back have you a campervan or caravan? I have camped with the dogs in Ireland during the summer and it was NOT PLEASANT. Some hotels in Ireland do accept pets... I think maybe the Holiday Inns or Ibis groups... Of course don't be put off if camping is your thing :) I just found dogs, tents and rain didn't mix so well for me personally!!

We've travelled over with our cavalier to pick up a new puppy, and no problems at all :D

However if you're planning to camp your way back have you a campervan or caravan? I have camped with the dogs in Ireland during the summer and it was NOT PLEASANT. Some hotels in Ireland do accept pets... I think maybe the Holiday Inns or Ibis groups... Of course don't be put off if camping is your thing :) I just found dogs, tents and rain didn't mix so well for me personally!!

Cecily, I have a mental image of that and it's hysterical :rotfl:

unfortunately we only have a tent :eek:, however... we did take Lily and Bailey camping i Oxford this August for a long weekend, and they were brill - they slept in with us (on a blow up bed) and were on extra long leads on a sprial stake when we were sat around, they were so well beaved, it was brill. i think the weather is our main concern - especially considering the summer we had last year. Maybe we'll get a 2nd week in a holday cottage in an alternative part of ireland instead?

There are a lot of self-catering cottages now in Ireland that allow dogs, some guest houses will allow them too. I know www.dreamireland.ie have pet friendly accomodation and check out irish animals on the web, we've stayed in some of the pet friendly holiday cottages in Co. Galway and Co. Clare with our 3 doglets :)

thanks for the link amanda!! i'll check it out, and see what can find. i'm really looking forward to it! thanks again x

I brought my two dogs to Ireland from England (to live) & all I did was inform the ferry company I had dogs in the car & that was it - I had their vac cards etc but nothing was ever asked for!

When we went over to collect puppy from Scotland from Belfast. We were foot passengers and when I rang up beforehand they said I would have to leave puppy in his crate down in the kennels but when we got on the boat we were allowed bring puppy on board in his crate, as long as we didn't take him out. There was also a much bigger dog in a crate on board too. It was such a relief to be able to bring him up with us as I would have been very worried about the little baby all by himself in the kennels.

Back