• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Excersise for Cavalier- how much is too much?

chopsuey 47

Hi

Our vet has said that my dog Luka has a very slight heart murmur. ( I have asked for a cardio referral) He is 2.5 years and is very active. We give him lots of excersise which he seems to love. He always runs aroundd when he is off the lead. He never pants or seems breathless. Could over exertion have caused this early onset. I f so what levels should we now adopt.

Hope someone can help
Sue

If the murmur is low grade then the goal should be o have a fit active dog. A fit heart is more efficient and works less hard to do the same job. This is reflected in the fact that athletes or anyone who exercises regularly will have a lower heart rate than average.

The best thing though is to talk to your vet, who knows the situation of your particular dog. (y)

Thanks Karlin. I hoped we were doing the right thing. He is so happy to outpace me all the time. I will check it with the vet/cardiologist though.

Back