• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Drooling dog

Charlifarley

Hi, my one year old male ruby has started to drool whenever we go for a walk.
:dogwlk:
Is this something I should be worried about? He always gets very excited ( as I suppose all dogs do:biggrin:) when we are starting off. Then after a little while, after he has settled, I will often see a long string of saliva coming from his mouth.:eek:

Dogs tend to drool when they see something they want to eat, when anxious or scared, or when over-excited. But they can also drool due to health issues. It might be a good idea to talk to your vet about this and make sure there isn't some underlying problem.

Sudden drooling in a pet that doesn't usually drool or slobber indicates a problem. The problem can range from to a chipped/cracked tooth or gum infection (the more common reasons), to poisoning or a foreign object lodged in the throat. Try checking your dog's mouth and look to see if you can spot the problem. Maybe there is a splinter or foreign object you can see and easily remove it without hurting the animal. If not, then it's time to visit the vet and diagnose the severity of the condition.
From http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-16.htm

and:

How can I stop my dog from drooling so much? Though it may not be the most attractive thing your dog does, a little drooling is perfectly healthy and there's no need to stop it. Dogs drool for many reasons, including:

• Nervousness
• Excitement
• Anticipation of food

Certain breeds are more prone to drooling than others. To save your carpet and furniture from a drooling dog, you can:

• Wipe her mouth periodically
• Use chew toys to encourage your dog to work her mouth and swallow more
• Chew toys also can help concentrate the drool on a couple of objects

Health problems – Some health problems can cause drooling, including nausea, anxiety and painful teeth. A veterinarian can rule out these health problems.
http://www.healthypet.com/faq_view.aspx?ID=100&sid=1

Faithey drools when I take her into an over-stimulating environment and she gets overwhelmed. For instance, when I took her to the cavalier get-together last summer, there were about 50 cavaliers there and she drooled a lot at the beginning. I didn't make a big deal about it and she eventually stopped. She's done that a few times, so i try to make sure she gets a lot of stimulation often.

Hope that helps :flwr:

Shelby is my drooler. But it's only in certain places. Most of our Cavalier get-togethers she's okay although she may start off a little drooly. I always keep a washcloth in my backpack to wipe her off with. She does get better as we're there. She definitely doesn't act afraid....just drools.

Thank you for your replies.
I think the drooling is down to excitement, but I have a vet appointment this week, so I will mention it then.

I have been lurking around this site for the last month or so, and have to say it is a real: a) addiction! and b) help and support, so thanks everyone:rah:

Both of mine drool when they get excited, especially Miles. We went to this pet food supply store last week and there were a few other dogs there and he was drooling a lot! :eek: I had to wipe his mouth a few times because he was so excited. It only happens when he's over-excited and around other dogs. He is not scared at all, just a bit on the hyper side at times.

Hi Charliefarley, Havent anything to add re drooling. Just wanted to say Hi and welcome, ( i love your name).:)

Back