• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Princi scheduled for Spaying, I'm nervous!

Cav Daddy

Hi all,

I never had a dog spayed and of course am a bit nervous about my lil girl...I need words of comfort!!!:rah:

How fast will she recover and I am going to a very good Vet Clinic (in the US), so what should I expect as the Daddy?

Thanks as always!

I know it sounds scary for your pup to go into surgery, but I know things will turn out well! My vet called as soon as the procedure was competed with an update. This was a much welcomed phone call! You might mention that to the staff when you drop her off. Amber was a bit groggy when I picked her up, but greeted me with a hearty tail wag. :) Her appetite never waned and she only slowed down for the first day or so. I wouldn't recommend leaving her alone at all during the first 36 hours after surfery, but that's just my opinion. The Elizabethan Collar was hardly necessary, since Amber never once tried to lick at the stitches but we used it anytime we weren't watching her.
The only problem she had was that one stitch seemed to be getting infected after a few days... it became a bit swollen, pink and a little warm. I took her in and they said it was fine and we could use neosporin on it. I (being a student of holistic and herbal medicine!) made her an antibacterial skin oil that worked wonders and kept the skin soft while it was healing. The vet even remarked on how well Amber healed and how she could barely see where the incision was. :D
The staff at your vet's office will fill you in on everything, I'm sure. Just rest assured that your little one is in good hands!

Melissa

My Bella was spayed just this morning! I, too, was quite nervous. My vet also called me this afternoon with an update that she was doing fine. I picked her up at the end of the day, and she was groggy, but very excited to see me! I brought her home and offered her some food, she scarfed it down. I treated her with some wet food, to hopefully keep her from getting constipated from the pain meds and her laying around a lot! After she ate, I gave her a pain pill, and put her in her crate. She is still there! She is sleepy, but wakes up and whines to come out when she needs to potty. I am taking her out on a leash to keep her from running around too much. They put a bandage on her incision, that will work itself off in a few days. So far so good. My other dog is very confused and wants Bella to come out and play! I will keep her confined as much as possible for a week. My neighbor had a horrible experience with her cocker spaniel last year, so I am over protective now! Just keep an eye on the incision, make sure the sutures are not loosening, or red and swollen. I am sure everything will be fine! Good luck!(y)

The above posts will help you out. Its a bit nerve wracking waiting for the call to say you can come and pick her up, so Im sending you a hug to keep you going until then. :) Please post with an update when shes back home with you .Dont worry, she'l be fine.

Our Abigail was spayed a week ago and stayed overnight. She came home a little groggy, ate and threw up some of food. Since then, other than taking her outside on leash so she doesn't try running with our other dog; all has gone well. Although this was not our first dog to be spayed; I also was nervous but everything went well even insertion of chip and vet removing a baby tooth that was in way of adult tooth.

Trusting that you may feel a little better hearing from others but Best of Luck and a rapid recovery for your Princi(y)

Heather R

The first day that Phoebe had her op, she was out of it! The second day she was a bit sleepy but eating normally and the third day....well, it was a nightmare trying to keep her calm and quiet! Their powers of recovery are absolutely extraordinary and you will spend your time feeling far more sorry for them than they do for themselves!
Hope all goes well with your little one:)

Dear friends,

Thanks to all of you for sharing your spaying experiences with your beautiful babies. She is scheduled for Jan. 29th, I can honestly say I will still be very nervous - but I know in the end, the risk/benefit of this procedure is in favour of the benefit over her long life.

:)

I wish all the best, i was worried too when our beloved Morgie, a boxer female, was spayed, and i wanted to witness it personally. Things went fine and she woke up quickly and was hungry :D
i think that surgery was the best thing for her

Good luck

Back