View Poll Results: What to do for the best for Charlie

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Should I have the scan done at once

4 50.00%
  • If Rimadel seems to be helping him with the pain Shall I change vets & have him scanned in Feb

4 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Help please

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help please

My lovely Charlie has been having all sorts of tests , which have eliminated just about everthing except SM. He is 6yrs & a half. He started just before xmas, not being able to get on the chair or bed & not able to jump in the car. He was also biting at his hips & scratching at his ear, He cried out in real pain if I touched him lightly or tried to pick him up & was hiding in corners.I took him to the vet, he was kept in for blood tests etc Also scanned , they didnt seem to know what was wrong & he came home on antibiotics ? & Rimadel. After a week he seemed a bit better although not quite himself ,then last weekend he was in great distress & endlessly scratching.He was admitted again for more tests & they said all they could think was wrong was Sm. They have no MRI scanner.so suggested I take him to Liverpool for one. As I am not well enough to get there, they have now found a place a bit nearer. I said that I had been looking on your site & had found that Gagapentin sometimes could help.They had never heard of it . & said they had no experience of this condition.I have found a Vet nearer to me who has accsess to a scanner once a month, the next time being the first week in Feb,when I am due to go into hospital.! They do have experience of SM. Shall I stay with my vet & have Charlie scanned as soon as possible & then change to the nearer vet , I so want to give him any chance of a more comfy life for as long as poosible. How long do you think he could be better if he was on Gabapentin? I am so sad.

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Firstly I am so sorry your Charlie is so poorly. I'm not too sure of I voted correctly. I'd say change vets. I'd expect a vet to know about SM even if they don't now how to treat it.

Your dog is showing signs of pain and if this is SM, Rimadyl is not enough in my opinion. I don't know any SM dog who is just on this though we use it on bad days. Dylan is on gabapentin.
    Last edited by *Pauline*; 16th January 2009 at 01:41 PM.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Gloria,

I take it they mean the Liverpool Animal Hospital - we had our golden treated there for fluid on the heart.

Shout if you need a hand with transport to get to the scan
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

That's really nice of you Kirsty.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Default help for Charlie

How lovely of you to repy so soon, thank you Kirsty, for your very kind offer but have located a scanner nearer to me but that was a most generous offer thank you. Pauline, can you tell me more of how Dylan is coping on Gabapentin & how long hes been on it please? I just feel I know so little of this illness.

Post Thanks / Like

You should take him to Geoff Skerritt at Chestergates hospital. It's not far from Stockport.