• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Doggie Door - Yes or No?

Joshua

Josh is my first dog and he is now 7 months old.

We are wondering if we should get a doggy door installed for him, but wonder what folks out there think
1) if it is needed
2) what type is best

We've successfully made it through the young pup days of teaching him to ring the bell and taking him out every 30 minutes or however often he rang the bell. The clever fellow rings the bell now when I sit at the computer, just to get me to stand and tend to him :luv:

Now that he is older, we let him out every couple hours or so. He mostly rings the bell to use the potty, but also he rings the bell just to hang out in his fenced in area of the yard. He is always supervised when he is in the yard -- just in case!

Not only for Josh, but should we (somewhere in the future) bring in a girlfriend Cavie for Josh we are wondering if this would lead to the inevitable need to get a doggy door? --- or if others here with single or multiple dogs do as we are currently -- let the dog out to use the potty using the normal door or on those regular 'walks' and 'outings'.

We are so new at this and love all the advise we've received thus far!

Hi Hedy

This is only my personal opinion
I would not have a doggy door because I wouldn’t like to leave my dogs unsupervised in the garden; things can happen in just a minute.
Even my garden is well secured and we back onto farmland, you do hear of people stealing pedigree dogs. I take my dogs for a walk twice a day and if they have to do anything else I open the garden door watch what they do until they come back in.

First let me say I trained Dylan in exactly the same way as you only we set a timer to every 20 mins and Dylan scratches the door instead of bells. Training went very well.

I wouldn't get a doggy door for the reasons Sabby said. You'll find a second dog will learn from Josh but I'd do the same training you did with him.(y)

I have three and they all scratch the door to go out.

I would not have a doggie door as I would be nervous of them wandering in and out unsupervised.

My second dog learned from my first and even though my third dog was potty trained when he came to me, he soon learned to scratch like the others to get out.

The dog door I like is the High Tech Pet Power Pet door.
http://www.hitecpet.com/px-1detail.html
You put a collar on the dog that activates the door. It is NOT magnetic. The door actually goes up and down like a garage door. It is VERY strong. You can set the door to let them in only, or let them out only, or go both ways. You can also turn it off so they can;t get out, (or take the transmitter off their collar).
I have one of these, but the big dogs of mine would never let a thief get near the yard without me knowing. I don't let the dogs go out if I am not home, however, just to be safe. I love my pet door, though I don't use it like a traditional pet door where they have access to it all the time.

Well, Dottie had already been doggy door trained at our breeders home when we got her at 6 months of age. We LOVE having it and it is VERY safe here in Huntington Beach. Our backyard has a paver patio, a nice grassy area and is fully enclosed by a high block wall fence with a locked side gate. (The only reason our breeder even considered our application.)

Our rescue girl Claire learned to use the door by watching Dottie go in and out, on day 2. I think it is a wonderful tool that allows the girls to go outside to do their business or stretch their legs for a few minutes, then they trot back inside. Of course, most Cavaliers are only happy outside if you are out there with them, so they are out for a minute or two at most, then back inside.

They are crated at night for sleep, and the metal slide is put in place to secure the opening until it is removed when they get up the following morning. We wouldn't be without it here. (y)

We have a cat flap (but you can get them big enough for gloden retreivers depending what brand...) that you can lock it so nothing can get in or out or lock it so they can go inside but not go back out and to go outside but not inside! It is very good and strong! When its on the lock so josh can go outside and inside i suggest maybe teaching him to ring the bell so you know he is going to go outside to supervise :D

I hope all that made sense!!!

Not sure about price sorry but just looking around and comparing prices will pay off:)

Rajacadoo :lotsaluv:

WARNING Neighbours have one for their young Border Collie. Recently the family got locked out and my daughter (28) managed to crawl through it and let the family back in. Admittedly shes size 8-10,and it was a tight squeeze.

Thanks!

I appreciate all of the feedback!

We live in Southern California and have a pretty safe itty bitty yard...the concrete area is safe and clean and when we don't feel like sitting following Joshie outside we watch him from the family room window.

I guess a door would give him freedom to enjoy the outside air when he feels, but then again we are enjoying the longer times between having to get up to open the door for him. Being he is our first, we are not sure how many time's we REALLY need to allow him exit to use the potty. Our dog owner friends say that he should be able to hold it all day after the morning potty trip, but I doubt he'll ever get there.

Our same friends think we are ridiculous as we won't leave Josh alone at home for more than a couple hours -- 3.5 hours has been our max only after we made sure he was completely tired out and ready for a long nap. As we don't feel happy leaving him at home for more than a dinner out or a school event, we tend to take him everywhere with us. Our non dog owning friends are having to deal with us bringing him with when we are invited over. Guess I'm detouring off the initial question -- but if we were to need to leave him at home for more than a few hours, I was thinking the doggy door might give Josh an opportunity to go out in the little enclosed area to use the potty. I'll have to ponder this one a bit longer....thanks all!!

I bought a dog flap when I became disabled. With multiple dogs it made sense as I spent quite a lot of time on crutches while having the hips replaced.
We have a small but very secure walled garden that leads to a private community garden, where I exercise the dogs every day, riding shotgun on my mobility scooter.
The flap is open night & day, they let themself out as they wish. It is very useful when I don't want to get up too early.

Margaret C

Back