• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Yapping when we stop on the leash!

Julz

Hi, I am new to the world of Cavaliers as we have only had our boy for just on 8weeks. Flynn is 5yrs and was a rescue dog so we dont know his whole history. When we get the lead out to take him for a walk he yaps constantly and pulls on the lead until we are walking at a fast pace. When we stop or slow down he starts up again. Not sure if it is excitement or what it is. It is making it difficult to take him for a walk especially if we stop to talk to someone. Can anyone tell me if this is a Cavalier "thing" or a Flynn "thing". He did do this with his previous owner but she just kept walking non stop until they got home. We would love to be able to take him out more with us. Any advice would be appreciated. Julz:dogwlk:

Hi, You can find some good advice on 'walking on the leash & training classes' post by Karlin on 1st Dec. I had a 'puller' and this worked for me. Dont know about yapping though.

Chloe has a tendency to 'squeak' sometimes when we are out walking! I put it down to whimpers of excitement and Ive heard some other owners on the board say that their cavaliers do the same.

She loves when she's let off loose to run about, so I think sometimes her squeaking is her way of protesting to being on the lead!

Mindy never yaps on the leash and so far Max hasn't either. The only time they ever yap is when someone comes to the door or when they are playing.

Jake barks at me if I stop to talk to someone. It's a "let's get moving, this is supposed to be my walk" kind of bark. I tell him to sit, finish my conversation and then move on. I do keep in mind that the purpose of our walk is to go for a walk, not for me to stop and talk, but once in a while I do like to stop and visit for a minute if a neighbor is outside.

Jato barks while we are on walks too. I think for him it is due to excitement. It is like he can't contain himself, he is so happy to be out and about. Zoey trots along side of him and doesn't bark at all. I really believe it is just the difference in personalities. He does better if take treats along to distract and reward him.

Back