• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

She's lost a toenail

sins

After coming back from her walk about two hours ago there was a trail of blood on the floor.There was an injury to her toenail and now that she's relaxing and tidied up it looks like the nail is gone.(blood has thankfully stopped with pressure to the paw).She'll be going to the vet anyway tomorrow evening at six,so there's no point doing anything tonight.Poor thing must be sore.
Do lost toenails grow back?
Sins

Ouch, that does sound sore poor Daisy. I am not sure but I would imagine her toenail will grow back. Sending Daisy :hug:.

Amber lost a toenail a few weeks ago and it's growing back now. I didn't feel like it warranted a visit to the vet, and she's healed fine. It was a dewclaw so, while it was definately tender for a few days, it didn't cause her any pain to walk on that paw.
Hopefully your pup will heal fine, too!

Melissa

Now if I broke a nail I'd be making a fuss, she must be brave! Poor Daisy. I would bathe it in a warm mild saline to reduce swelling, rinse after or she will lick the salt. Then "try" keeping a sock on it so no dirt gets in.

Mindy lost a dewclaw. It must have gotten caught in something. It hasn't grown back (but she did a good job on it when she lost it).

Unfortunately this isn't a dewclaw,it's a nail on her right paw.and was hard to get a proper look at because of the slippers.My daughter trod on it in the yard apparently.:-|
We've had gundogs who broke nails in the past but never where a nail seems to have totally broken off right down to the bed.The nailbed looks very red and raw so she'll need to have it checked.She already had an appointment set up at the vets for tomorrow for an ear check as she's scratching the ear off herself and yelping, even though it looks clean.
She's limping and feeling sorry for herself.
Thanks for the responses.It helps!:)
Sins

None of my cavaliers has lost a nail, but our german shepherd lost a nail at least three times. We used to get deer behind our fence and she got so excited to go out that she would catch her nail on the door and rip it off. The vet put her on antiobiotics and we kept one of my daughter's socks on until it healed. She would rip the bandage right off without the sock. We even had to tape the sock to her fur, otherwise she would get it off. The nails always grew back just fine. And she didn't learn her lesson!

Thanks for that,I still have some baby socks which should do the trick(as long as she doesn't eat them:p)
In the overall scheme of things it's a very minor injury,considering what some of cavaliertalk had to go through in the last few months and weeks.
Everything seems so much better in the light of day,I think I tend to worry too much when something happens at night.
Sins

Ilsa injured her nail as a puppy and we had to have it pulled.
It grew back fairly quickly, we had no problem with it.
I don't remember which toe it was though. It was in the front.

Jen and Ilsa

According to a freshfaced young vet thet we saw this evening it won't grow back.She's got an antibiotic shot and we've to keep her paw dry for a day or two.She also got an injection to combat mites,even though her ears were spotlessly clean.He hadn't heard of syringomyelia before,he even failed all attempts to pronounce it:bang:

Oh no Sins, bet he didnt put your mind at ease :rolleyes:
Hopefully its only something minor with her ear :xfngr: How's poor Daisy's toe today?

Back