• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

General health

jasperpaw

I was wondering if anyone with an older cavalier can give me some advice, I put Jasper on Vetzyme Pure Cod Liver Oil with vitamins back last year as he is nearly 9, just to help with general health, I chose that because it was liquid, and when he has had to take tablets he always manages to find them and spit them out, but I was wondering if there was anything better out there for the older dog, preferably in liquid form.

Mindy will be 11 next month and I don't give her any supplements other than yogurt. She hasn't had any health problems other than dry eye. I'd be interested in hearing the answer to that question as well.

Hi

As a general supplement for Omega 3 I use Kronch Salmon Oil ,some forum members advise against the use of Cod Liver Oil.

Brian, what is the reason against using cod liver oil?. Jasper is in good health, just thought it would help with joints etc, although he shows no signs of problems.

I think there's a lot of difference of opinion on nutritionists about whether one is necessarily better than another and there's certainly lots of very underinformed discussion available online as well -- I always take nutrition discussions that have no citations for where the 'facts' are coming from with a good dose of skepticism, because they are so widespread and pervasive (and the subject gets so many strong opinions).

Best to read widely and make decisions that fit with what makes the most sense to an individual. (y)

If you want to give the cod liver oil, just get the gels and if the dog won't swallow those (rolled in a bit of meat or some cheese -- I use cheese spread for giving daily SM pills here with no problems) you can simply snip one and pour the contents over a meal.

Back