• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Salted sidewalks

avejo

Hi all,

I have seen others posting about salt during the colder months and how it is important to make sure paws are clean. As the weather here has been pretty nasty lately, there's a lot of salt and salty water on the ground. I've been cleaning Lady's paws after walks, but her underbelly fur seems to be picking up the water/salt mixture as well - resulting in a sort of filmy feel to her fur. I've just given her a bath, but I can't see doing this every few days, should this snow/rain continue. What do the rest of you do in this situation? During inclement weather, she has a little jacket, and that helps protect her underbelly as well, but it's not foolproof. Are there any wipes that work well - or any ways to just bathe the underbelly? I've also considered trimming her underbelly fur, but I don't want to go there before consulting the experts on this board. I've also thought about carrying her to her "spots" but I want to make sure she gets good exercise. Feeling a bit stuck here.

As always, thank you so much for your wonderful advice and insights!

I have the same predicament... I like taking Sasha for exercise walks, but then her paws are so dirty and sandy... same w/ her underbelly.

I end up putting her in the sink and rinsing her off (using only water whenever possible so she doesn't dry out too much). The problem then is that she's all wet on her paws and underbelly. I towel-dry her but she hates the blowdryer.

It's a problem....

Back