• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Recommendation for a Handheld Vacuum

Shivers

Could anybody recommend a decent hand held vacuum that is not wildly expensive?
I have mostly wood floors or tiles in my house but the hallways and stairs are carpetted and I have a lot of stairs (3 flights of stairs and 4 landings!) and believe me you would not want to be dragging a full size vacuum cleaner up and down them every day. I would like something I could just go around with and suck up the dog hair that falls on the carpet. I dont have a clue about hand held ones :eek:

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated

:v*cuum:

The Dyson Handheld. I use it for my stairs all the time. You get what you pay for with handhelds so if you want something that can do the job on carpets, you will need to opt for something with great suction, like the Dyson (which also has a hair attachment -- it gets my stairs as clean as the full size Dyson).

I just got hardwood floors in my whole house--well almost-lol. Tile in bathrooms and kitchen and carpet on stairs. Anyways, I have tried about everything out there this past month because man does the dog hairs show up on the hardwood floors. OMG is all I can say--lol. I have bought handheld vac's, dustmops etc. I have found that I like the vacuum the best. The swifter works wonderful BUT you would go broke buying all the pads as the pads don't last long and for a whole house you go through alot. Anyways for my upstairs since I don't also want to haul my vacuum upstairs is I purchased a broom vacuum. Its like a broom but has a vacuum. Its wonderful!!! I only have two rooms upstairs so not sure what you have but if I had a complete upstairs I think I would buy a cheap vacuum as I have found that works the best. The broom vacuum comes in as a close second.

Geesh. Sorry Siobhan. I thought you were asking for the hardwood and tile. Reread your post and see you're asking about the carpet. Thats what happens when you read fast. lol

I have a good vacuum cleaner but you would be crippled carrying it up and down the stairs every day! I am not in charge of floor cleaning anyway, its Glens job. We have been living together almost 4 years and I have probably hoovered and mopped about 4 times in all those years. He's just so good at it, I dont like to step on his toes :p

Wouldnt a hand held Dyson make a lovely Valentines Day gift? :rotfl:

I have the Dyson DC16 handheld, its suction is fantastic, I use it to hoover up cat litter and to get into all the awkward nooks. But on the downside it only last 6 minutes, but has to be charged for 3 hours.

Wouldnt a hand held Dyson make a lovely Valentines Day gift?
Why not? My brother in law gave his wife a welder for her 40Th birthday.(I think he might have been joking but you never know).
If you can stretch to the Dyson it'd be good,also useful for curtains and bedclothes.

Wouldnt a hand held Dyson make a lovely Valentines Day gift? :rotfl:

Ha ha ha, I know a couple whos lady member asked for a Dyson and a surprise for Christmas or a birthday or some other occasion. The guy bought her the super expensive one in the shop and a rediculously expensive piece of jewlery, good for some! :rolleyes:

Dysons are definatelty what I recommend (the DC16 Animal works a treat) - they are great for all the jobs that need to be done and last forever!

Shark have a very good one too (my parents have one), it has a motorised brush so is brill on carpet and it's reasonabley sized. And, all important, it's quite well priced (I think me parents bought theirs for €40 (ish)).

Back