Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Arrangements

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sleeping Arrangements

I need some advice. The boys have always slept in bed with us (Miles is almost 2 and Truman is just over 1). I was the one who pushed for it because growing up, my dogs always slept in bed with me. Over the last few months, however, they have been waking us up in the middle of the night because they move around and snore, and lay on or right above our heads on the pillows. They are completely taking over the bed. Although I love cuddling with them, they are starting to become disruptive to our sleep.

They are totally into their routines, especially Miles, who will climb into bed at 10:00 on the dot because that's his bedtime! We have tried putting them out of the room for the night but they literally stand at the door and whine/scratch. We have frosted glass sliding panel doors, so we can see them sitting there, waiting for HOURS to be let back in the room. Should we try crating them at night? We have 1 crate that they share when we need to crate them, but is it okay to crate them together at night? We have a loft with an open floor plan so we cannot put them into another room, and I know that we don't want to set up an x-pen every night. I don't care if they have the run of the rest of the house, I just don't want them scratching at our door. I feel so bad, they always want to be with us, especially Miles...I think Truman would be fine not sleeping with us, it's Miles that will have a hard time adjusting.

Any words of advice/encouragment? I know this is totally my fault, I just need to get them used to sleeping somewhere else so we can get some good sleep!
    Carrie - Mom to my boys, Miles (a Ruby born 4/15/07) and Truman (a B&T born 11/28/07) and my girls, cats Hailey and Kayla (born @ 4/15/04 - they were found as strays )

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Carrie,

When a dog sleeps in your bedroom he/she forms a very close bond with you. That is the lovely thing about having the dog with you at night. They would be happy on a bed of their own as long as they are with you.

Dogs don't like to have their sleeping arrangements altered (which is understandable), but under the circumstances you are experiencing I would advise giving them a really comfy bed placed at the foot of your bed on the floor.

If they try to jump up onto your bed,you may have to tether them. You will need to do this in a very safe way, so that they don't become tangled up. One dog on each side of the bed may be best on a tether just long enough for them to move around.

Then you could do some clicker training with them to give them a cue to go on the bed and off the bed. If you don't want them to go on the bed ever again, then just don't cue the behaviour.

The dogs may whine and cry to come on the bed with you, but if you do not relent, they will understand quite soon that their sleeping quarters have now been changed. When they are quiet in their beds you could give them some fuss and tell them what good boys they are.

I allow my cavvie onto the bed, but only by invitation. I ask him to sit, wait, then I jingle some keys - (he's getting ready to jump by this time) and then I pat the bed.

It really is best to either allow them on the bed by invitation or not to allow them on the bed at all. They can get very confused otherwise. So, as I do allow Murphy to sleep with me - he knows where he goes to sleep at night - but I want him to be courteous and not just jump up on the bed until I give him permission.

It isn't fair to sometimes allow a dog to do something and then another day not allow it. This can cause instability in the poor creatures. I wouldn't invite my dog to sleep with me on Monday, but then on Tuesday tell him to sleep on the floor.

So, consistency is the key and I hope this helps. Just don't expect immediate desired results. Give them time.

Sleep well
    Mary

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand your dilemma. Pixie was used to sleeping with me (or one of the children) and she was a very still, quiet sleeper, so it was no disruption. Bandit and Lizzie are noisy, restless sleepers, so some nights it just isn't convenient. I do think you can do both bed AND crate. I'd get them a metal, wire crate that they could share, put it right beside your bed, and just go for it. You might be practically driven nuts the first few nights, but if you don't relent, they will eventually come to love their new "cave" and they will still be with you and can see you.
    The reason I say you can do both bed and crate is because I have done that easily with Bandit and Lizzie. They started out crated at night always, no exception for about the first 3 months. After I felt certain that he wouldn't have an accident on my bed, I would let him lie down with me or one of the children for a little while and then I'd move him to the crate for sleeping. Now, if I am going to be up late studying or working, they will bed down in their crate until I come to bed. Some nights I get them and put them in bed with me, and other nights I will just leave them crated, or if they wake early to go to the bathroom, I will bring them back in and let them lie down with me until I have to get up. They are completely unflustered by either arrangement. They prefer the bed, but they accept the crate, and even go get in it on their own if they get tired and I am not ready to go to bed yet.

Good luck with the adjustment.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that some dogs can really adapt well and you're very blessed with Bandit and Lizzie.

As Dan got older he developed the LOUDEST snore in Christendom. He'd wake the dead, honestly!

So, he had his bed moved onto the landing and we had to close the door. Several nights went by and the door would be scratched and opened, and we had to try to settle him and barricade ha ha the door. He eventually settled down on the landing.

Now that he's a very old man, he likes to be carried upstairs sometimes. He lets us know whether he would rather stay on his comfy bed downstairs or go up. This is done by sitting at the bottom of the stairs and longingly looking upwards ....... or going and flopping down by the fireside for the night.

In his younger days, if his bed had been inadvertently moved from its usual spot he would bark until someone adjusted it to his Majesty's proper position.

In Dan & Bailey's younger days they used to sleep on the bed with us, but found they were most comfy until OH got in and then they would sleep on their beds on the floor, as he moved around so much and disturbed their sleep.

They're all different - but one thing about cavs, they do like to live in harmony with their owners, they love to be close to you and they are always a true friend.

Post Thanks / Like

This helped with Ollie: I put a comfy smallish dog bed @ the foot of the bed, between my hubby and I. Ollie slept on the bed and learned that's "his spot". Now, even if the bed is gone for some reason, he still stays at the foot inbetween us. Before we did that, he was always waking my hubby up by hogging the bed and trying to lay between his legs.

We also keep a crate in our bedroom and if one of them is sick or if Ollie is having a hard time settling in for the night he sleeps in the crate.

They were both crate-trained so don't mind going in there, but much prefer to sleep where they choose (Ollie in our bed, Casey on the floor next to the bed).
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

I know EXACTLY what you mean.
    Maddy sleeps with us. She starts the night on the top of the covers. At some time during the night (every night) she decides she wants to "get under" the covers. She licks my face until I lift up the covers and say "want to go under?". She stays there for about an hour or so then decides "too hot" and crawls her way out and on top of the covers again. She scratches the covers to "make her bed". Imagine, I am woken up two or three times.
    When I am not there, she just sleeps on my side of the bed and I don't believe my husband wakes up to lift the covers up etc.
    Pam
    Pam
    Mummy to Miss Madeleine born 9/1/2006

Post Thanks / Like

We were told to start out as we meant to continue on, so we didn't put the dogs in bed with us. (I wanted to but was afraid that if we ever had to have the folks or someone else dog sit for us, they might not appreciate sleeping with two little fidgety snoring furmonsters.) So, we crated Dottie, then Claire when she moved in, in our bedroom, one on each side of the bed. That worked okay for awhile, but I can't tell you how many times I REALLY needed to get up in the night and I just held it because I was afraid I would wake the girls and they would want out too. I was also sleeping very lightly and heard every snort, re-arranging of crate bedding, sighs, etc.

Hubby and I decided to move the girls downstairs into the rec room and bought a larger crate. They both happily snuggle and sleep together from about 9 or 10pm until 6:30 or 7am. We now all get a good night sleep, and only once has Claire barked to go out in the middle of the night. We got up, and she did have to go, then ran right back in to bed down for the rest of the night. We can hear them if they call, but they are far enough away that we can rest without all the winky noises!
    Marianne
    Mom to Dottie, and our precious rescue, Claire-Bear

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear you are losing sleep. If I were you, I think I would try putting their crate in your room and see if they will settle in for the night together. I actually bought another crate when we got Zoey...we have the crates side-by-side in our family room. Each night at 10:00 pm they get a few pieces of their kibble when they are told to "get in your bed". They actually look forward to bedtime it's funny. It might take a few days to settle into a new routine, but just stay firm and they will adjust. I think as long as they can see/smell you close by they should be OK. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
    Jato - Blenheim, Nov. 2007
    Zoey - Ruby, June 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We kind of had a similar issue, although we didnt let the dogs sleep in our bed, just in our bedroom. Maybe try putting a dog bed at the end of your bed and see how that goes. You do need your sleep too.

In the end we had to shift both dogs downstairs because one night Prince was snoring so loud it sounded like the neighbour was drilling through the wall, I nearly had a heart attack (he snores like an old man after 10 pints of Guinness on a good night)!! They adapted just fine, they are both very laid back. If your dogs have been in with you for longer, they may not adapt so well to the eviction notice
    Siobhan
    Belle (Tri-F) Rosie (Ruby-F) Bismarck (Blenheim-M)
    Prince (At the Bridge)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi
    Poppy ,Daisy and Rosie all sleep downstairs in the lounge ,they have their own crates side by side with Rosie (shes the baby ) in the middle ,and each crate has a vetmat covering with a feather pillow on top that then on top of that each has a Skyeskns sheepskin mat so they should all be nice and warm and comfy .
    But I can still hear their snoring resonating through the ceiling and I am sure the main culprit is the smallest of the three that being Dangerous Daisy the Loranka Blenheim from Betws-Y-Coed Mid Wales and for the size of her she really belts out the decibels.
    But as one does in married life Dawn and I do have the odd cross word which normally results with her sleeping downstairs so therefore on these occasions the girls are very happy to gallop upstairs and join me on the bed ,Poppy scrunches right up beside me and Daisy flops on the bottom of the bed whilst Rosie occupies one of the cat radiator beds ,but strangely I don't really notice their snores but then it could be I snore louder than them.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T