• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hi from Delaware!

ddunning

We have 2 cavaliers, Geordie (Blenheim, almost 3 yrs. old) and a new rescue, Teddy (black & tan) who is almost 4. We also have a Golden Retriever girl, Buzz, who is 12 and a Golden Retriever boy, Chase, who 1.5 years old.

We just got Teddy on Monday - he is absolutely adorable but has had a rough couple of months - apparently his owners divorced, the wife left Texas and moved up to PA, and could not spend the time with him, so she turned him into a vet. However,before coming to rescue, he was given to an elderly couple who kept him for a week and then turned him back into the vet saying he pooped and peed all over and marked their drapes. So Cavaliers of the NorthEast finally got him and he was in foster care for about 3 weeks.

So, he is a very cuddly, totally velcro boy, and has a bit of separation anxiety when one of us leaves. He scratches at the door frantically, so the foster mom advised to put him in his crate if both of us have to go out - fortunately, my husband is retired and so he will not be left alone very much. He sleeps in bed with us (and Geordie, and Chase) and is very, very good.

Oddly, Chase the Golden loves him and he seems to like Chase, but Geordie, the cavalier, just ignores him. Hopefully, he will warm up to him in a few weeks?

Any advice on helping Teddy adjust and feel secure would be very appreciated! We are not going to take him a lot of places, or have people over to see him, for a couple of weeks at least, try to keep things very quiet for him.

Denise, the rescue coordinator for our region and Teddy's foster mom, has been wonderful, and has really helped our anxiety over our very first rescue dog.

Thanks! Looking forward to chatting with all of you! I'll upload pix as soon as I can figure it out!

Diane

Welcome to the board!
You sound like you have a full house. I personally don't have much advise to give you with Teddy, but many on the board have rescues or foster and should have helpful advise. You might post your questions to the General Folder and will draw more views and response there.
Post some :snap: of your furkids, too.

We just took in #5 a couple of months ago and all you can do is give it time for the other kids to come around. Amy turned her back on Daisy for one year (!!). Every time Daisy came near Amy turned around. Never nasty, just acted like Daisy wasn't there. Finally one night Amy turned around and started to play with Daisy. Who knows what goes on in their little heads!!!

Diane - icon_welcome

Teddy sounds lovely. :lotsaluv: I hope you quickly learn how to make Teddy feel right at home.

icon_welcome Hello, what a great picture - looks like Teddy has fallen on his paws there! Look forward to seeing more pictures.

Best wishes,

Hi and welcome, what a beautiful fur family you have and little Teddy fit's right in there perfect, he's gorgeous

Greetings!

Hello and welcome! We are newbies too! We have also sent in our apps with the Cav Rescue USA to foster/adopt our next cavie!

Congratulations on your newest addition -- I may need to ask you how Teddy's adjustment went later on when we add to our pawpack!

Hello from another golden and cavalier owner and a newbi as well to the site!

I love the photo:snap: of your crew and look foreward to tales of your new addition(y)

Heather R

Awwww, what a sweet story. Looked at the picture. Good looking family you have there. Teddy is gorgeous. I am sure it will just take a little time for the others to figure out he is part of the family....good luck and congratualtions. Judy

Week 2 - still going well - only marked yesterday in the house once -- only the 2nd time he ever did it - that we could tell - my husband didn't catch him until just after he did it -- I have never had any markers before! My other boys don't ever lift their legs or mark.

Big progress to report - this morning, he and Geordie actually chased each other for the first time! Yesterday they were starting to play with each other, but then Chase the Golden jumped in and ruined the moment. But I give it about 2 more weeks until they're sleeping curled up with each other.

Teddy doesn't scratch at the door anymore when I leave either. It's amazing how quickly he adjusted.

Diane

Back