Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Advice Please!!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    311
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Advice Please!!!

    As many of you know my Ilsa has SM. She is currently on medications and doing rather well, especially since we added the omeprazole. She still scratches and has a yelp occasionally,usually less the once a week.
    As of now she has no neurological damage, yet her deformation was called fairly advanced. She is 4 years old.

    I have spoken to Dr Marino in New York. He was very friendly and helpful, (and I know he's one of the best neurosurgeons around), yet I am still reluctant to have the surgery, as I am terrified of the long recovery process and possibly causing Ilsa more pain then she's already in.

    I am aware that this is a progressive disease, and that each dog progresses individually, that the surgery is best done before the symptoms are too severe, and that it is an individual decision. I was wondering, however, if anybody has been able to achieve a long lasting comfort for their dog with only medications, if such a thing is common or possible, and if anyone regrets having done the surgery.

    She was only diagnosed in November and I'm not sure if I should give the medications more time or get the surgery done this spring.

    Could really use some advice, this is such a difficult decision for me.

    Thank You

    Jen and Ilsa

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,136
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hello Jen. I can only say how I feel personally so it's not advice as such. I understand your reasons for worrying about surgery. From what I've heard, I don't see a huge improvement after surgery. It's a horrible thing to put a dog through in my personal opinion and not always successful. That's why I decided not to go for it.

    I am trying by drugs along to alleviate any pain.

    Maybe it would be better to phone the neurologist and tell him how you feel and what he thinks her prospects are with regards to surgery.
    ....
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    1,766
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    When Riley was diagnosed last year, I took her to 2 neurologists and they both told me that her best chances of having a longer and better quality of life was to do the surgery. Neither of them felt that she was a candidate for just medical management. With 2 doctors telling me that, I felt I had to go that route. She had decompression surgery in June, 2008. The recovery period is long and hard, but she was such a trouper and pulled through just fine. It definitely takes a good 12 weeks though. For months, I agonized over my decision - wondering whether I had shortened her life and caused her unnecessary pain. Seven months after surgery, I feel that I did what I thought was right for her given the information I was presented with at the time. I don't know if I've prolonged her life. Her quality of life is about the same now as it was before. So, I just love her day by day and am grateful for each day with her. I wish you luck. This is such a tough decision.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southwest Florida
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Jen- I can imagine what a difficult decision this would be. Casey will be 6 this summer, and is on meds alone and her symptoms have improved almost entirely. She has not been scanned, however.

    I have already told myself I would NOT have the surgery done. I would rather have to end her life early and enjoy every minute of it, than to have her confined to her crate with such a difficult recovery. But that's just my opinion. Don't rush into any decisions until you have thought every possibility through.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Hatfield, Herts, UK
    Posts
    2,741
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Hello Jen,

    I had Tommy & Matthew scanned in January 2005.

    Tommy yelped very occasionally, I thought he was one of those 'wimps' that cried if you tweaked a hair.
    I was sure there was no problem with Matthew, but the scan showed they both had the same size syrinx.

    Tommy was 4 years old. He was insured at that time & I could have gone the surgery route. I decided not to partly because of the uncertainty about the results, but mainly because I did not think I could keep him undisturbed or nurse him successfully in a rowdy multi-dog household.

    He has had frusemide for many years & he is now on gabapentin & carprodyl. He has become increasingly attention seeking

    Matthew was 6 years old. He has frusemide & metacam. He is touch aversive,( he wants to cuddle, then shies away) seeks cold places, & will suddenly drop down with his head stretched between his paws

    They enjoy their walks, although they are both are slower than I would expect at 8 and 10 years. They eat well. It is difficult for them to get onto the furniture without help.

    I suspect they have a constant level of pain that they have learnt to live with, and this is what I find hard to deal with.

    As they have had a reasonable quality of life for four years I think I made the right decision. If Tommy had started deteriorating within months of the scan I would have felt I made the wrong one.

    Having a dog you love with SM deprives you of much of the joy you have in your pet. You love them just as much, perhaps more, but in a different, worrying , protective way.

    So I am afraid this post is not going to help you. It really is a decision you make for yourself & then you pray hard it is the right one.

    Best wishes whatever you decide.

    Margaret C

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    311
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    thank you so much for your advice. It is very difficult to decide and you've all given me something to think about. I'm leaning towards surgery as I'd rather halt the progression now while she has a good quality of life then wait until excess pain and damage are permanent. If halting progress is all we can hope for, she's only 4, she has a good life ahead of her. Maybe it's better to suffer for 6 months then 4 years.

    Still not exactly sure (and go back and forth) but I thank you and hope your fir kids are well.

    Jen and Ilsa

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm in the same boat. My 2 cavi's were diagnosed in November as well. Currently Ginger is on gabapentin because she seems to be in the most pain. Although Charley's is more severe he doesn't seem to be in pain.

    I'm on the fence with the surgery as well and am due back in Feb. to see Dr. Marino. It is a tough decision because there is no guarantee with the surgery. Plus I can't afford 2 surgeries being that I have 2 dogs affected.
    Bernie
    Ginger Charley

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hi - I am sorry for what you are going through. My Annie, now almost 10 months started showing signs before she was 6 months old and after seeing Dr. Ducote in Dallas her prognosis is not good. Although I have not done an MRI yet there was little doubt in the doctor's mind that she has it based on her current symptoms. She more than likely will go downhill very rapdily as this is almost always the case when that are showing symptoms before a year. I currently plan to manage pain, and when she can't be comforted with meds I will let her go. She is such a happy, lively puppy that crating her for that many months with other dogs running around freely would be cruel. I won't do it. And while there are those that have improved the quality of their dogs' lives after surgery most appear to have not presented signs before the age of one.

    I actually know a human with this malformation and her pain is terrible even after surgeries. I can not let Annie live with that kind of pain. But I applaud those that can try the surgery. I think each person must make their own decisions based on their personal situations and the condition of their beloved pets.

    I love Annie with everything I have each day and she is attending obedience class which she loves. There are many nights I have cried myself to sleep over this and would do anything to cure her.

    You are not alone and the comfort and wisdom found on this board have helped me tremendously.
    Martha
    Annie's mom

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Does the disease cause them to seek more attention? Annie is almost manic about being with me, and having me pay attention to her. I can tell she is beginning to show signs of pain, and now is having trouble getting comfortable at night.
    Martha
    Annie's mom

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    311
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm so sorry for all our dogs! It's such a dreadful disease!!!!!! I'd prefer MVD at least I know the medications work. At least they did for my last dog.

    I know of a lot of people who have been happy with the results of the surgery, some have been very opinionated about doing it quickly. I hate the idea of restraining her for months, but she's my only dog and has never been crated (I don't believe in crate training) and I wouldn't do it then either. I would watch her carefully and never leave her alone, if I had to go out I'd get a sitter. I'd also buy stairs or a ramp for the sofa and bed.

    I know how you feel about Annie, I cry all the time now and have been consumed with this since before her diagnosis. These are such difficult decisions.

    I don't know if it makes them more attention seeking, Ilsa has always been like that, I thought it was her or maybe a cavalier thing but you never know.
    I'd be interested in other people's experiences. The restlessness while sleeping is a symptom and Ilsa has that as well.

    I am so thankful that we are here for each other, and if any of you need to talk contact or pm me anytime!

    Praying for a cure!

    Jen and Ilsa

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •