• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

13 yr with heart murmur

jasperpaw

While at the vets last week, we met a couple with a cavalier who was 13 yrs old, we had a long wait , the vet was running late which did not help Jasper, he hates the vets, as soon as we get through the door he can`t wait to get out, so it was good for him when this cavalier appeared, we started chatting and their dog has been on heart tablets for 4 yrs, he actually looked quite healthy, although they said he was`nt fussed on walks anymore, he was quite big and they actually asked if ours was a cavalier as he has such a small head, we thought 13 was a good age for any dog really especially a cavalier not that I know too much about it as this is our first dog.

Hi there

Thats a good story especially for me as my Luka was diagnosed last week with a heart murmur. He is only 2.5 and I know he may advance quicker because of the early onset, but my cardiologist was pretty vague about how long a dog could carry on once on meds. She said possibly a year but she has known some who dont respond to treatment and dont live long at all. I have gained a bit more optimism from other site users and though noone can give me guarantee at least I can have a bit of hope.

Are you enjoying your dog we most certainly are despite this health worry. You couldnt ask for a better companion than a Cavalier. If we get another I will be much more dilligent over my choice of breeder, thanks to the info I have gleaned here. However I am so glad Lukas in our family even if its not for as lond as we would hope for. Even a full life span is not enough.

My three children think its funny the amount of time a look at the site. I think its a bit rich especially as they are equally obsesed with Facebook, You Tube etc. They think I am past surfing! Lol

Best Wishes

Sue

Hi Chopsuey. I thought I would post this as it does give others hope, including myself , Jasper has a heart murmur, they found it 18 months ago, but he now coughing, so he is off to have an xray, teeth cleaned next week, it is a worry , I always knew cavaliers suffered with murmurs as I bought a book before we got him, he seemed to have a good breeder, she said she did not inter breed, I would`nt know where to start to get a cav now with the SM.

How old is Jasper. Have you had a cardiologist scan him. I wondered how bad the murmur has to be before the coughing starts. I suppose meds are your next step.

Is the teeth cleaning a precaution due to the heart. I did read somewhere about it causing some kind of heart problem. Not a murmur though- endocarditis I think. Or is it because he will be sedated anyway.

Regards

Sue
P.s In case your wonderinh Chopsuey is the nickname my beat friend gave me and its stuck!

Hi Sue,

Jasper will be 9 in March, he will have an xray, but because his teeth are quite bad and apparently the bacteria can cause problems to the heart and he also has a cyst they will knock him out. He only likes small bite mixer with his food, we tried him on dried food but he would`nt eat it, so I suppose this is why his teeth have got bad, his murmur was a grade 3 in October, but because he was making a funny noise recently which we thought was a cough we took him to vets last week, the vet said more like grade 4 murmur, it was a lot to take in as he has always had good health, I suppose meds will be the next step, will find out more next thursday.

Regards Pam - mum to Jasper

Back