• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What type of brush do you use?

shippers

I was wondering what type of brush you all brush your Cav's with and what people on here think are the best? Sally is shedding lots at the moment and I'm trying to get the shedding down to a minimum with brushing her regularly. I'm using the Mikki slicker brush and a dog comb. She is groomed every few months by a dog groomer. Any suggestions?

we use the Mikki slicker brush aswell and then a comb for their ears -Mikki also do a brush think its called a "Mikki rake" which works really well for brushing away loose hair and detangling we got it from pets and home and only cost about £4 but its really good:)

I use a whole range of brushes. Besides the slicker I like a good boar bristle human brush. Most of mine hate even the appearance of a slicker -- so I really only use them for feathering, longer hair and working at mats. You can try a shedding tool like the Furminator.

I just purchased a furminator upon reading about it on here. I was at Petsmart and saw them and asked a clerk about it and she said go to grooming and they will show you how to use and see if you like it before you buy it so I highly recommend you doing something like that as they aren't the cheapest deals. I can't remember but was in the mid 40's american. I was amazed at the hair that came out and said to the groomer--well you sold me on it and I was on my way to the checkout stand. I also use a slicker but not that much BUT I cut my dogs too so they aren't that long. I use the comb for their ears as those are the things that get matted all the time.

I use a double sided brush, one side with standard bristles (for knots and detangling) and one side with boar bristles (for loose hairs and bits of stuff in the coat - how does it all get in there?!). I find it works a treat when dogs are shedding, you would be surprised how much comes off and the dogs usually really like the boar side. Plus they are cheap as chips (y)

Word of warning though, some of these types can be quite harsh so best to feel it nd rub it against your own skin before you buy because they can scrape against the skin if it is a very hard one.

My favourite brush of all time is a Mason Pearson pure bristle. I have had mine since the year dot and although rather expensive will last a life time.

Sparky is goint through a mad shedding time at the moment & I bought a lovely mason pearson brush & brush him at least once a day at the mo & it's catching most of the hair & making me look less like a large Cavalier!!!:D

(Ps - I got my mason pearson brush on ebay so was €30 - the 'shop' I got it from sent me an email aboout it & I answered saying it was actually for my dog & she thought I was mental!!)

Last edited:
Brush

Hi

I love to use a mason pearson pure brisstle brush on my gang [4 cavs and 1 chin ]. You get a lovely shine using it.

They are expensive but my brush was bought for me when I was born and I am 46 and it is still in good order .How's that for value for money?

We have a slicker brush for sensitive dogs,a metal comb,a double sided pin brush and a furbuster(bit like a furminator).
None are great on my dogs but i brush them everyday with a slicker and comb.
I use the fuminator to get rid of Lucies cottony coat cause it makes her look untidy but even that doesnt do much.
In my eyes i am fighting a loosing battle regarding brushing to reduce shedding. The best thing u could probably own is a decent hoover ;)....i have a dyson animal and it is used at least 3 times a day! :O
The hubby says i have "hooveritis" .... LOLOL:jump: as i constantly hoover but in my defence i have 2 dogs,2 kids 1 cat and laminate flooring downstairs!
Hope u find something that helps! (y)

The rescue coordinator where we got Teddy showed me the most amazing comb - called the "Untangler" - it has metal teeth which actually rotate (hard to describe, really) but it is perfect for the ears, since it doesn't snag the hair but rotates through it. I ordered 3 of them online from www.untangler.com, they were cheap ($5.95), but you have to have la $20 minimum order so I bought 2 extra for some friends. It also takes out some undercoat too. Amazon has some too, but I wanted the small 5 inch one.

Diane

Back