• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poll: Change or keep a rescue's original name?

Please choose a name:

• Pepper (original name)

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Winston (new name)

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters

chloe92us

We just adopted a 3 1/2 YO blenheim male named Pepper. We are considering changing his name to Winston aka Winn. Please post your opinion!

Hi Trisha. We're in the exact same boat as you are. We got a black-tan on friday that is almost 3. Her name is Chelsea. At first we didn't like it and wanted to name her Fergie. She's been here now for 4 days and its worn on us so we aren't changing it. Figured she knows it and thats like having a teenager and changing their name or more like what my husbands mother did--oldest was around 15 or so and my kids called her "nana" and then she declares 15 years later that she wants to be called grandma. IT TOOK YOU 15 YEARS TO TELL US THAT???? Well, what do you think the kids did--lol. She was nana till the end. No matter what you choose I think the dog will adapt. All our dogs have nicknames and they know both names. Abbey is "binkie" etc.

This is just my opinion,but last year I adopted a rescue and we kept his original name.

I figured that as he had a name (some don't or if they do it's not known) we may as well keep it as he was going through enough change meeting new people,new dogs,new home etc.

I think whatever suits you will be ok. I just didn't want to confuse my little man anymore than was needed and he responded eagerly and happilly to the name he already had,also it suits him!

I have 2 recently adopted dogs (they are 4 and 5) so I kept their original names because they knew them and responded to them and I like them anyway.

I don't think the rescue dogs know their name anyway. They never had enough attention when they were in bondage.

Luke, who came from a breeder when he was 3.5 yo didn't seem to know his name either. With so many dogs at the breeders house, I guess he never figured out his special name. I kept the name, because I thought he would identify it, but he really could've learned a new name after all.

It depends on the dog,if your cavalier was previously a housepet and had this name for some time I personally wouldn't change the name.
However if your dog was rescued from a disreputable breeding establishment or had only recently acquired his name,then choose any name you wish!
I'm thinking of changing my cavalier's name to Dinnerhamchicken as it's the only name she responds to!!:p:p
Sins

I'm thinking of changing my cavalier's name to Dinnerhamchicken as it's the only name she responds to!!:razz::razz:
LOL :rotfl::rotfl:, so true!!

We kept our rescue Rex's name when we got him last year - he had come from a family and definitely responded to it - like others have said I didnt want to confuse him anymore, so kept it as it was.

I think you will know by your own dog how much they have come accustomed to being called a certain name and how well they will adapt/respond to being called something different.

Whenever I call Dan, Murphy always beats him to the post! Not surprising - 12 years difference.

They don't want to miss out on anything.

If ever I call one dog - two dogs appear.:paw::paw:

If I wanted to change a dog's name I think I would use their familiar name with the new name and then phase out the original name like this:

Call the familiar name quietly and the new name a bit more enthusiastically. It doesn't need to be called out loud, as dogs' hearing is very acute anyway.

Dan would answer to Dan Dailey, and Bailey used to answer to Bills, Bailes, Bill Bailey and Murphy answers to Murfs, Murphy Pops. We all have even more pet names for them than we gave them to start with.

I'm sure it doesn't do any harm to change their name.

I have just adopted a much loved family pet called Ben who is 7 years old. I would never dream of changing his name.
My previous Cavalier was a rescue called Toby, a name that I initially did not like but did not change and I am glad that I did not because through time (I had him for 9 years) his name in my opinion suited him.

My previous Cavalier was a rescue called Toby

That was my special name for my first Cavalier - I had the name long before the dog!

On the whole I would probably keep the old name if he is used to it and shows signs of responding when it is used.

Unless the name was something really terrible I suppose......Butch, for a Cavalier, for instance. :) Pepper is quite cute.

On Bentley that was a year old when we got him there was no question we had to change his name. He WAS:

Van the Man

omg lol

Here is Pepper's background: He's 3.5 YO and lived with a single, older gent who was given him as a "gift". Pepper is his registered name, and the man kept it. He was an only pet, and alone all day when the man went to work. He was given up when the man remarried, and the woman who always had GSD thought he was "too needy" (affectionate) for her taste. He was shaved and I think perhaps, he may have been kept outside. He was not neutered (until turned over to recue), but does have excellent house manners so who knows...

This boy looks like a miniature St. Bernard or Clumber, NO KIDDING! He has the biggest block head and weighs a whopping 36 pounds of solid mass! Truly, he could only stand to lose about 2 pounds of that. This suits us just fine since we have a young son and I prefer the larger size since he's not as fragile. I'll post pics soon.

After getting to know him, I don't feel like Winston OR Pepper matches his personality. Rudy, Teddy, or Google seems to fit better since he's a big dope and adorable to boot. I think we'll just give it more time. He really responds to anything we call him since I don't think he got much attention in his past, poor fella. My son named him Winston because of the famous blenheim on You Tube...but I can't seem to remember that name when I look at him.

I've done both... our first rescue Tandie got a brand new name, but Dora we kept - partly because she responded well to it and also it grew on us and sounded cute with Dougal. However I would have no qualms about changing a dogs name if I wanted to... I dont' think they form the same attachments to them as we do. You could teach a dog their new name in no time at all with a bit of time (and maybe a few treats!) I think you should do whatever you want, I wouldn't feel guilty or anything about changing it.

If you like the name Pepper I would keep it
When I had my Sam someone had called him Hammer which I did not like at all so he became Sam
Your saying that he is big sounlds like my Barney he has got a big body and head and but for his colouring people have ask if he is a bigger Clumber and someone ask yesterday if he was a St. Bernard because he does not look like a cavaler
---Aileen and the gang(Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

We got Mindy at 8 months so it never occurred to me to change her name. It's true though - both of my dogs come to either name so maybe it really doesn't matter.

we changed two of our girls names. Daisy was changed to Baby because she came as a "Daisy" and we already had a Daisy also because she is a just a baby. Emmie's name was changed because she felt like an Emmie. Well, I best confess the truth - Emmie is deaf and so it wasn't an issue!

I just wanted to add that I wouldn't want to change a dogs name at all unless it was something that people would take the mickey out of, like something pretentious, or a name that I really didn't like.

For instance my Dan who I named when he was tiny with his Mum and littermates - he is now almost 13. The name suits him so well.

Thinking about it - how would the dog feel if he was used to his name and then it was changed?

I don't know the answer to that.

I think whether you change the name or not depends on lots of factors. If the new dog is from a puppy mill dog or an abusive situtation, than I think it is nice to give them a new name -- a fresh start to a wonderful new life. On the other hand, if they have been loved and well-cared for and are being re-homed due to death or illness or other difficult life circumstances, then it may be a tribute to those who first gave your dog such a good start in life to keep the name.

Good luck with him -- whether he is Pepper or Winston!

On the other hand, if they have been loved and well-cared for and are being re-homed due to death or illness or other difficult life circumstances, then it may be a tribute to those who first gave your dog such a good start in life to keep the name.

Well said Phyllis, :):) That's a very touching thought.

Back