• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Your Cavs Name -Why That One

Brian M

Hi

Just reading Chloes post about name change ,so of course it leads me to ask members why did you pick the name you did for your Cavalier/s.:)

shih tzu Winston because he looks distinguished--all he needs is a cigar and coat--lol

Bentley--wanted something english and distinguished--fits him

Abbey--again wanted something english which it definitely is and it fits her also

Chelsea--she had that name--didn't really care for it--was thinking about changing it to fergie as again the english deal BUT in her four days with us now it fits her and has grown on us. Fergie doesn't seem right now.

now our cavs are:

A bbey
B entley
C helsea

How strange is that considering the last one was named already.

Cody is named for the manager of the Kilkenny Hurling team. Abigail (Abby) because it was close enough to Ruby, her original name. Jasmine was already named. Gavin's name was picked because I wanted a fairly common boys name just to pee people off, it's funny how many total strangers take offence at dogs with 'people' names :D

When I was young my family always had rescue dogs which came ready named, but I always had names I thought I would like for a dog of my own.

Graham and I didn't get a dog until I started working part time - Becky, our much loved late Welsh Springer, who was named after Graham's favourite beer at the time, Becks.

Toby was just a name I always liked so I was determined to get my way on this one, though Graham sometimes claims it was another Beer connection (Toby Bass!).

We had a long list of possible names by the time Rufus came along - talk about child substitutes! Rufus was our joint favourite, though we have several others up our sleeves. Just need a few more Cavaliers........

For my very first Cavalier a black and tan girl I went to the local library and read a couple of children's name books without success, then inside the back cover of one it had a list of Irish names that it said were no longer popular (at that time anyway) and I found Ciara which I had never heard of which meant "dark one" in Irish Gallic. That was it! no other name would do as her mother was called neisia (neesha) which the breeder said also meant dark one in Scots Gallic.

Last edited:
Gus------ was named already as he was 16 weeks when I got him. We thought of changing it but it seemed to suit him...he also answers to Gussy!

Pippin------ we named him before we even saw him it was from the hobbit in Lord of the Rings and funnily enough he is a tiny little guy...he also answers to Pippy,Pip,Pipster!

DJ ----- He was a rescue who already had his name and it really suits him...He will also answer to deeg!

They all answer to dinner or biscuit!!!

Hi, well when my children were little there used to be a saturday morning kids programme with two presenters and a tri colour cavalier always on the show with them, who`s name was Jasper and as it was my daughter that started the ball rolling with us getting a cavalier because they did a project at school and a friend had a cavalier and she kept coming home and saying how lovely this dog was and she and her brother remembered this dog on this show they chose the name.

tri colour cavalier always on the show with them, who`s name was Jasper

My friend's son always used to call Toby Jasper, because he got confused with the tri colour on the TV show! He was only 5 at the time.

My two I have now were already names when I got them.

I had a Cavalier a few years ago and we named him Wolverine. My OH thought it would be funny to give a big scary name to a little adorable dog :confused::confused::confused: It just stuck! I wanted to name him Harry Potter :p

I have the name Molly picked if I ever get another one that I can name myself.

Oliver got his name because he had big jowls that reminded me of my grandfather (first name Oliver).

Riley was named Celeste by the breeder which we didn't care for so on the car ride home with her my daughter came up with Kiley. That seemed a little harsh for her so we went through the alphabet replacing the first K with every other letter and stopped when we got to R -and Riley it was. She's mostly called Ry-Ry.

Madison was named Sushi by the breeder - didn't like that name either. Her grandmother's name was Madeline and the breeder said she looked a lot like her. My niece's name is Madeline, so we chose one that was close and came up with Madison.

Oz's real name is Oz, the Great and Powerful Weiner Dog. When we first had a dog we had a german shepherd who was my husband's love. When she was getting old we got Oliver and then Riley and then Madison. Howard always called them weiner dogs because they were so small in comparison to the shepherd. It took a lot of convincing to get the fourth dog. He finally relented but said I had to include weiner dog in the name, and promise to introduce him that way. I agreed and Oz, the Great and Powerful Weiner Dog was ours. I did introduce him that way for the first couple of months. People loved it!

When we got our first Cavalier, we didn't have any names picked out. We went to the breeders house to adopt a 3 YO tri named Lucy, but at the door she changed her mind and offered a puppy instead! Bait and switch??? I think so! Anyway, we took her home and stopped at a McDonalds to let her out to pee. While she was roaming around, the name Casey just hit me and it seemed to fit and both of us liked it.

One of my favorite websites for kids clothes is Ollie Bollen, so when we got our second, we named him Ollie b/c I love that name. It's quirky and cute, just like him.

Our newest rescue, Pepper, came with the name. We're still trying to decide what to do, but our SON came up with Winston as soon as he saw Pepper. If you haven't seen Winston on You Tube, he is a blen Cavalier that is video'd doing all sorts of funny stuff. Well, Owen and I watch him all the time so he thinks Pepper IS Winston, and hence the proposed name. Problem is, neither name really fits him!

Bailey- chosen after much research on th internet and because of my mams fondness for the liquor

Holly- She was a christmas present so it seemed fitting, however she was called Pippa for about three hours

In the past I've had a cat named Muffin, two hamsters Kenzie and Biscuit and a budgie called Russell!

Fjalar and Molder were named by their breeders so they had both already names in the pedigree when I got them and I didn't change it.

I named Mirra myself, her breeder offered me to decide her pedigree name and I just think Mirra is so cute name :)

Izzie was actually the only name that my partner and I could agree on. We hadn't fully decided it until having her for about 2 days and calling her all sorts.
We got it from 2 things, really. The first is Isobel Stevens in Grey's Anatomy, since we love her. And the second was Isobella Swan from Twilight.

Kendall is named after Henry W. Kendall, the Nobel Prize winning physicist. We picked Kendall because it sounded good as it rolls off the tongue and it sounded like it could be a girl's name.

All of our pets either have been or are named after physicists. Our first cat was Dinger - Schroedinger. Our current cats are named Heimey - Oppenheimer - and Rico - Enrico Fermi.

It all started with Dinger, which was kind of a joke based on Schroedinger's cat. Most people didn't get it, but those who did thought it was pretty funny. We've just kept up the tradition with the rest of our pets.

When we were searching for a name for our now almost 7 month old cavalier, we at first wanted something associated with Cape Cod where we live.

Our breeder didn't care for out cutesy cape names so we went with a Mass. name Abigail Adams. Most of the time she is Abigail but when I really want her attention sheis Abigail Adams.

Funny how many Abby's there are in this thread.

Heather R:dogwlk:

Dougal we named to reflect his Scottish roots!! Also Alison who put us in touch with the breeders liked it. I have to say it fits him to a tee!!

Tandie we named because she was a ruby, and it meant 'fire' in norse, or something like that anyway!

Dora was pre-named... we weren't sure about it, but she knew it so well, and it really suits her actually

Kosmo is named after the fairly odd parent Fairy - he's SOOOO funny just like our Kosmo :lol:

Faithey is named after her mommy who was still in the puppy mill :( Thank God, she's out now, and her "new" name is Hope :) I had "Faith" when I got her and the more time went on, I realized it fit her to a T :)

Well... as we already had a Westie who we'd named Lily (as in Lily White) i thought it might be nice to go colour-related again with our new addittion...

so i sat and tried to figure out what would go colour-wise with a blenheim, and then, it came to me - mix the white and ruby together and it may just look the same colour as a glass of Baileys! and i am a big fan of the drink, so that was that... Bailey was named!

What a great thread, and great stories...

I almost named Ilsa Cosette, for the character in les miserables, she was such a tiny puppy, with big waif eyes.

I was watching Casablanca, and Ingrid Bergman's character was named Ilsa,
I bought her in Paris and "we'll always have Paris" and Ilsa also is breathtakingly beautiful, elegant and regal.

I said Ilsa and she ran to me and kissed me and she was named.
It really suits her, only alot of people confuse it for Elsa, that long since stopped bothering me.

Jen and Ilsa

Back