• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Your Cavs Name -Why That One

Hi
And a great big thanks to all and what fascinating stories people tell ,its absolutely to me amazing the variance in how members decide on the names they do .
I think the most strange one is gsthmer and the fascination with physicists and if they get another as I have previously mentioned our Steve my baby brother is an Astro Physicist so could you name your next one after him ,his website link is below and its fascinating reading if you like reading about The evolution of the Univers and the big bang theory

http://lheawww.gsfc.nasa.gov/users/drake/drake.html

AND

http://lheawww.gsfc.nasa.gov/users/drake/drake.html

AND

http://web.mit.edu/dph/www/ixo/simulations/huenemoerder_aas_2009.01.pdf

Happy reading cos I dont understand a thing ,but Drake or SAD (his initials ) or even NASA could be a thought for a name

Kind Regards pls

And could we have more replies pls on way that name for your Cav

My collie is called Kez short for kestel as she was going to take me to the top in obedience and agility she did do really well but not the top
The cavs are
Jasmine- just cos i liked it
Emily- already named
Misty- already named
Pip- he was tiny went to the vets to be pts as he was so small and the rest of the litter had already gone
Havoc- thats what she causes
Folly was 8yrs and no name and i shouldnt have kept her so she is my folly
Roger- 9yrs when i got him and no name and as he was a stud dog at a puppy farm think thats what he spent most of his time doing.He wasn't going to stay so it was a temporary name but as he is brain damaged possible from being put through sheep dip he would be really difficult to home and i love him now so isn't going anywhere

All my dogs over the years came with their names. Sometimes we added bits on to their names. Like Suzy became Suzy Wong, Siân became SiânE. The only one that got shorten was Dizzy, because being a typical Yorkshire terrorist, you only got to shout DIZ when trying to stop her doing something naughty.

When I went to pick Siân up, her name was engraved on her collar and it suited her so well. The only thing we did was add the E at the end as everyone including the vet staff called her SiânE. She answers to both Siân and SiânE

When people ask me what Siân means, I tell them its Welsh and means Jane. They always say ' yep she looks like a Jane'

Hi , My 2 girls were already named when we got them Nifa 6 months and Heidi 9 months .
Heidi had been returned to her breeder at 8and a half months as her teeth grew back crooked and she couldnt be shown she had already had her name changed from Annie to Heidi so we felt she couldnt have another new name .
Nifa ( we thought it was Naofa meaning saint in Irish ) just suited her and she knew her name and answered to it .
Rua our ruby rescue boy , his name was Charlie before he came , ( my aunts dog is charlie also so to save confusion he got a new name .
Ruari meaning red king in Irish . Rua for short .
Mimi

when I was very young I had a cavalier called Scarlett (named after Gone With The Wind, a book my gran loved) so when I got a blenheim that looked very like her I named her Scarlett the second! apparently when I was young I couldn't say her name so I called her Salad so as a joke a lot of people in my family now call my dog salad!

By the time I got Bella I'd been through the alphabet !!! I had a list of names as long as your arm. The name Ruby was my fav but as Bella was a Ruby I though that would be silly. Anyway I think she suits Bella and my husband's old Auntie thinks she's named after her. Thank god the dog doesn't look like her, so its a win win :rah:

Rosie is actually called Roswitha (pronounced Rosita). Roswitha is her pedigree name which my sister kept when she got her at 8 months old.

Nearly two years ago, Rosie came to live with me (she turned 4 yesterday) and I shortened it to Rosie much to my sister's chagrin!!! My sister, her kids and my mum still call her Roswitha. It only took my family over 30 years to stop calling me Sarah-Jane (which I shortened to Sarah when I was at junior school), so maybe there's hope yet they will call her Rosie! Fortunately, she answers to both (most of the time!).

Kaya, the malamute mix means "little sister" in native american. She's not so little anymore at 100 lbs.

Our collie is Lad/Laddie (he answers to both) after the dog from Albert P. Terhune's wonderful old books (Lad a Dog, Lad of Sunnybank, etc) about his Sunnybank collies. He also is a descendant of the Sunnybank collies!

Pixie was the name that my children came up with and all agreed on for our first cavalier. When 3 children agree on something, who argues with that?

Bandit was the name of my childhood dog, a cocker spaniel mix, and my kids wanted to honor him by naming our current Bandit after him. It fits him, too, because he is such a little Bandit!

Lizzie is short for Elizabeth, and that is just so very royal and english (the queen and all), so we thought that it fit our little tri girl well.

My wolves were named Shadow, Maicoh, Polar and Keneu.
Shadow was gray and was my shadow most of the time.
Maicoh means "wolf" in native american.
Polar looked like a little white polar bear as a puppy, so Polar stuck.
Keneu means Great war Eagle. My ex picked that name. I dunno.

I just read back and realized that this was supposed to just be cav's names! Sorry!

Last edited:
I found Ciara which I had never heard of which meant "dark one" in Irish Gallic.

That is what I named my Irish Setter - I wanted an Irish name and loved the sound of it - still do!

For Mika, I wanted something that reflected her heritage, but after a search through country-specific baby name books, nothing clicked, so we moved on to Ukrainian names (our heritage) - sill nothing clicked. For some reason we then went to Japanese names. I loved the sound of Mika and found it means, "New Moon". We was born on a new moon and we picked her up on during a new moon, so it was perfect!

Last edited:
Starting with my first cat (gone now), Candy was a Tonkanese copy from her brother called Snickers. She looked like a candy bar, chocolate covered caramel with vanilla center.

Tyson, another Tonk climbed under the frig the first week I got him and I wanted to 'tie me up in a knot'.

Kara, had orange eyes as a kitten and reminded me of carrots. More yellow now.

Chelsea, just liked her name.

Vivian or Vivie as it matched her personality. Loud, pushy, dark, charge, and plays rough (hangs on Chelsea's ears).

Sparky was already named by his breeder - I was going to change it to either Jaspar or Paddy but seeing as he's wired Sparky suited him much better so we kept that!

Cassie (my JRT) was bred by a friend, both doggie parents were pub dogs so my friend 'briefly' named the pups after drinks - Cassie was 'Cassis' so we just changed it slightly to Cassie.

Okay, this fun -- and I need some!

Buddy, our Cavalier, was named by my special needs brother, to whom he really belongs (but do not tell Buddy who is under my feet whenever I am home!!). Michael has called every dog we have ever had "Buddy" so I told him he could name this one "Buddy" but he had to start calling the other dogs by their correct names! So Buddy it was, but over the course of three and a half years, it has morphed into Bud-Bud or Bud-Boy!!

Hadley, our four year old Clumber, had her named inspired by the road on which her breeder lived. I was thinking of "H" names and the breeder lived on Hadley Road. As soon as I focused on it, I knew it was right. Hadley is the name of Ernest Hemingway's first wife and also a pottery made in Louisville. I love her name and it suits her to to a "t" !

Katy, our new Clumber puppy, was named by the eight year old daughter of friends of the breeder. This little girl had a brain tumor last year and the breeder (with a long story behind it) let her pick names for this litter. She named the little girl we now have after herself! While it is not a name I would have picked, there is no way I would change it. To personalize it for us, we did change it to Katydid, but we are mostly calling her Katy or Miss Did (and I have a feeling the Miss Did -a play on "misdeed" - may stick)!

Registered names are Celtic Touched by an Angel (Katy), Summerstraw Southern Comfort (Hadley) and Lynnsfaire Moonlight Sonata (Buddy) -- Katy's and Hadley's fit -- Buddy's does not!!

Thanks to everyone for sharing!

Last edited:
Simple, to please the kids, I ran through a list of musician's names and let my son chose first. Dylan was named after Bob Dylan. Some time later this wasn't sophisticated enough for my son and he decided that Dylan is named after Dylan Thomas! :rolleyes:

Cody already had her name when she came to us and as she was 8 years old l wouldn't have changed it, anyway l like it :)

While we were waiting over a year for our first Cavalier, I had, oh, I don't know, maybe 35 names picked out to try. Then, when the big day came, little 6 month old "Darling Dottie" was offered to us by our breeder. The name wouldn't have been my first choice but it suited her, and we decided to keep it. Even though we say "Dottie go potty", or "Naughty Dottie", or Spotty Dottie, etc. :D Now I can't think of her being called anything else!

When we got our foster Claire, we didn't know that we would be keeping her initially, so just kept using her Lucky Star name. Once again, it fit her, we all got used to it, and we kept it. Although we often call her Claire-Bear, or just Bear for short. :)

Merlin was named after the black and tan boy that Joel saw and fell in love with (which meant I was allowed to have a cavalier!) - he is mostly known as Mr Tops (which he will come to), Merls or Mr squarehead (Joels term for him!)

Oakley, was originally going to be Tarka (after the Otter) but it was too girly and he just didn't look like if fitted, so he was going to be Bentley, but that wasn't cool enough for our Oaks so he got Oakley - suits him as he is sooo laid back when he wants

Our first dog already had her name - Jodie - I didn't like it as I kept thinking of Jodie Marsh!!! But now I think its just a perfect name for her and I do love it!

Our second doggy I had a list of around 15 names ready for him and when went to collect him we were going to go through all the names in the car on the way home to see what he looked most like we had the list and all :p He was only teeny tiny and had been dumped without his mammy so we were taking him home at 6 weeks but I'd already a dog from the same rescue so I didn't even see a photo of him before I got him. When we went in to see him I burst into tears he was so gorgeous and I picked him up and he humped my hand while sitting on my lap :eek: I said something like he's a cheeky charlie and that was it - he was called Charlie...we did still go through the list but he was just Charlie, which wasn't even on the list lol

Tanner was named by my mum - and it seemed to suit and still does.

Whiskey is because I wanted one that reminds me of back home in NIreland, and of course Whiskey is brewed there - being blenheim the name also describes his colouring - well in my head it does anyway

When we were driving to go go get Ruby & Evie we decided that whoever had the most red on her bum would get Ruby as their name and the other would get Evie.....thankfully they both really suit their names :jump:
They also answer to Ruby Dooby Doo & Evie Weavy Woo i dont know where or why we call them it but they come when called it lol

Molly was already named and was far to old to have her name changed when we got her.

Charlie my Welsh Springer was named Charlesworth.....no idea why really..he was a little chubster....but very regal looking.

My cat was called Zebedee after the character off the Magic Roundabout because when she was a kitten she used to jump around on her back legs like they were springs....looking like Zebedee. She would also come to Zeb & Zebby.

Back