• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anybody uses actual Neurontin?

I would just like to say its great having a vet on board,its very interesting to listen and read your posts.

I'm using the actual neurontin. I tell the pharmacy no generics for my baby!

Jen and Ilsa

Hello Dr Zeltzman,

I agree with Justine, it is really good to have you here.

My Vet supplies Tommy with Gabapentin from Sandoz.

Margaret C

I agree too and the dr. has helped me also. Sent him a pm and he got right back to me. You're a blessing.

Please would you tell me your opinion on generics Dr?

My (human) daughter is epileptic and the latest studies show once on a brand of AED, you must not switch brands. This is fine in theory but in practice, it's hard to keep a constant supply of a generic as the warehouses buy in any brand. I would spend a whole day on the phone each time she needed more trying to find a particular brand. We have had to switch twice and notices transitional side effects.

My daughter has an appointment on Tuesday to ask the GP to write on prescription the original brand. This apparently is easier to get hold of but it is VERY expensive, we hope the GP agrees! (epileptics get free prescriptions in the UK).

Quote:

"Formulations of AED are not interchangeable and generic substitutions should not be employed."

SIGN guideline - Adults 2003.

"Changing the formulation or brand of AED is not recommended because preparations may vary in bioavailability or have different pharmacokinetic profiles, thus, increased potential for reduced effect or excessive side effects."

NICE Guideline 2004.

"Loss of seizure control may occur when medication is switched between different manufacturers' versions of the same anticonvulsant due to differences in bioavailability. It is recommended that anticonvulsants are prescribed by brand name, and that patients are not transfered from one preparation or formulation to another without full clinical assessment and re-titration."

MIMS July 2005.

Wow, thanks for your kind words.

If you like what I have to say, you might want to subscribe to my (free) newsletter if you haven't done so. Just go to my web site, it's really quck & easy.

The reason I asked about using Neurontin is that I just discovered that it contains xylitol, a sugar substitute, which is toxic in dogs (hey, guess what, we talked about this in my newsletter before!!!). What I don't know, is if there is enough in a tiny pill to be toxic, so don't get too paranoid. It just FYI.

If you need a reference, I saw that in the last edition of Plumb, which is the bible for drug info & dosages for vets (at least in the US).

As far as using generic drugs in general, I usually don't have a problem with them as they are so much cheaper. And in the case of Neurontin, generics seem to be xylitol free.

The important thing is to use generic drugs from a reputable company. Here in the US, there are frequent reports about generic drugs purchased abroad which are junk. Useless junk at best, toxic junk at worst.

So be careful, as always...

Dr Zeltzman
www.drphilzeltzman.com

Last edited:
Ilsa had a bad reaction to neurontin, it upset her stomach so badly we had to cut her dose in half. Could the zylitol do that? Should we switch to a generic?
What are the other symptoms of zylitol? sorry for all the questions but I am terrified now.
I am also so glad you're here. Thanks for the information.

Jen and Ilsa

looked it up and it looks like the zylitol is only in the liquid. Please tell me if I'm wrong

Thanks Jen

Leo has been on the capsule form of Neurontin for 2.5 years and never has had any problems.

OK, sorry it took so long... Here is the info I found in Plumb's Vet Drug Handbook:

"In general, avoid the use of the commercially available human oral solution (Neurontin) in dogs, as it contains 300 mg/ml xylitol. As the threshold dose that can cause hypoglycemia is approximately 100 mg/kg, doses of up to 15 mg/kg in dogs using the solution should be safe, but further data is needed to confirm this. Additionally, xylitol may be hepatotoxic (((ie toxic to the liver))) in dogs. Doses of 500 mg/kg of xylitol are currently thought to be the threshold for this toxicity, but there have been anecdotal reports of it occurring at much lower doses."

So I would like to say this:
. I found this info by accident as I was researching gabapentin.
. I am not a neurologist of a toxicologist, just a surgeon.
. This is FYI, or so you can ask whoever prescribes it, it is not meant to scare anyone!

Dr Zeltzman
www.DrPhilZeltzman.com

Back