• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Can dogs eat apples?

LucyDog

I was wondering if it is ok to give Lucy some apples mixed in with the carrots and green beans I am now adding to her food? She loves them, but I am not sure if they are good for her or not.

Apples are fine, as long as it's not the core. Or rather the pips as I think these contain something poisonous like cyanide. I give my two pieces of apple, and pear and banana along with veggies like carrots, green beans, brocoli, cauliflower etc. Not every day, but they get some fruit and/or veg most days. They think they're getting treats, and cauliflower's their favourite!:p

Defiinately dont feed them the chore and pips. A few weeks ago I fed mine apple cores left over from the grandchildren, which made the dogs very sick and have the runs for several days afterwards. Apparently the pips contain a form of cyanide. The apple itself is fine though.

Thank you for the advice about the seeds. I don't usually feed those to Lucy anyway but I didn't know they were poisonous either.

Bella likes apples occasionally but only has a small amout, same with nectarines, she has one piece but doesn't want another!

Wynnie and Dexter love peaches! (they have always been fine after. I dont like them have the pits. Also sometimes if im eating an orange ill split a slice for them cause my worried it might be too acidic. Are oranges okay cause they love them to

Apples are fine, but not the stem or pips. You can also grate it over their dinner and it sometimes encourages a reluctant eater :D

Be careful with oranges - and other citrus fruits, they are too acidic for dogs.

Also NEVER feed grapes - some dogs seem to be fine with them, but there have been quite a few instances of dogs being poisoned and sadly dying from eating grapes {and raisins/sultanas}

Apples are fine, but not the stem or pips. You can also grate it over their dinner and it sometimes encourages a reluctant eater :D

Be careful with oranges - and other citrus fruits, they are too acidic for dogs.

Also NEVER feed grapes - some dogs seem to be fine with them, but there have been quite a few instances of dogs being poisoned and sadly dying from eating grapes {and raisins/sultanas}

Brady loves grapes - must watch out for them. I don't feed them to him but he has been quick to scoff any that fall on the floor

Back