• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I'm changing vets!

Hi Pauline,

As far as I know you can be registered at two vets. I spoke to another vet surgery recently and asked about registration, and the vet said she would register the dog if I brought him in, as I was considering my options regards cost of neutering. This new vet who was quite far away knew I would need to use my local vet for regular care. Also this new surgery was recommended by another cavalier owner who had had his bitch speyed.

However, it turned out the cost of the neutering would be very similar. It will be a bit tricky for M as one t is retained. I hope he'll be all right.

Someone told me they had to pay to register their dog at a new veterinary practice, but this seems very unfair.

What about prescription charges? It seems vets can charge whatever they want to.

Having given the matter a lot of thought I feel happiest knowing that my regular vet is going to do the operation. He neutered my other cavvies and they were fine.

Sometimes finances are difficult for folks and if they know they can obtain good care with operations at 50% lower the cost, then they may not have a choice. Dog Health Insurance does not cover the cost of neutering does it?

Last edited:
The new vet just called me for a chat about Syringomyelia. She said she has experience with two cases in her previous practice. She appreciates it's the RVC who decide his treatment etc as I phone them when I need to discuss anything about Dylan's condition.

You have to have two prescriptions of a month only before they put you on to the TLC scheme. This scheme is for long term or life long conditions. It means, you can have 3 month prescriptions, something I only just persuaded my current vet to do.

She sounded Spanish, a very nice lady and I think I would get on with her. She said to ask my current vet to price match if I really like them or to come and visit and see what I think of the new practice. That was very nice. Most of my friends go to the new vets and say it's wonderful.

She does sound nice -- and it's good that she's familiar with SM.

I don't really know about my vet in that regard, but Daisy has been doing a couple of little things lately that have my radar (or paranoia) activated about SM, so I think I'm going to talk to him this month about SM when she goes in for her bordatella vaccine. I'm trying my best not to be alarmist, and she doesn't show the most common symptoms, but I have to admit I'm very worried, as I know a lot of us on this board are.

The new vet sounds really nice and knowing about SM is a very big bonus. Even suggesting to you to ask your current vet to price match shows they are not just after your money.

Back