• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help please in regards to meds with SM--what I can get until neurologist appt

linderbelle

I'm not in good shape here and there have been a few on here that I have written to but I don't have the strength right now to pm individually. Abbey has an appt. next tuesday with neurologist. I have been videoing her and have it all on tape. Now that I'm almost sure (sure theres a chance she doesn't have it) that she has sm its unbearable to watch her and hear the noises she makes as she rubs her head and scratches etc. I'm in tears as I write this. I don't think I can take 6 more days of this until her appt. I've watched this for as far back as I remember but I've always been told--allergies.

The vet knows nothing about sm but I'm sure he's read up alot on his considering he has 3 cavs himself.

I want to get some meds for her before her appt.--for her sake. What do I call and ask for? I'm sure he will get me whatever I ask for. Please help before I lose my mind.

You could ask the vet for Rymadil, I am sure your vet would have heard of this pain killer, it's not just for SM. But better still, ring the neurologist and ask first. They might not want you to mask and symptoms. Call the neuro asap. Hang in there Linda, not long now. I found if I wrap Dylan in a blanket and carry him round it calms him, and makes me feel better. It is stressful I know. :hug:

Thanks Pauline. Pretty stressful. I will call the neurologist and see what they say. Yea the reason why I haven't wanted to give her anything is because of masking it. She's resting by my feet right now--thank god. I'm a basket case.

I just called the vet and they said to try giving her 1/2 baby aspirin every 12 hrs. If that does not help her to bring her in for liver function. They said the rymadil before I did but said they wouldn't prescribe it without a liver function. This is soooooooooooooooooo hard.,

Just wanted to say that with your vet's approval, you might try a melatonin supplement to help her calm down and sleep at night. Sammy was really in pain on Monday night, crying and jumping around. I gave him 0.5mg of melatonin and after half an hour he dropped off to sleep (whereas other nights, it's taken hours). It's a natural supplement (not a sleeping pill), but it is effective. Ask your vet though before you give it...

Hang in there!! :hug:

P.S. From what I've understood, Melatonin is available from pharmacies in the U.S. without a prescription.

You could also try nerve 8, a supplement, some people swear it helps. I haven't tried it myself, as she has been given some homeopathic drugs with some of the same ingredients and I was afraid to double a dose. I know how distressing this is for you, Ilsa was scratching like crazy this morning and sometimes I just have to cry.

We are all here for you,

Jen and Ilsa

Linda - my heart is breaking for you. Oliver (who does not have SM) has been on Rimadyl and Metacam for short periods of time without having liver function tests. Metacam worked better for him, but his pain was in his hips and back. Riley, my SM dog, has never had a scratching episode, nor has she ever even seemed to be in pain. I feel so fortunate that her journey through SM has not included any pain cycles that I've been aware of.

Does your neuro appt on Tuesday include the MRI? I'm just wondering if the neurologist would be willing to do an emergency evaluation appointment sooner than Tuesday just for the purpose of medicating Abbey and then still do the MRI on Tuesday. It's worth a call to let them know how miserable she is and that she needs help now. I also wouldn't worry too much about masking smptoms since you have video of her and you will be the history giver. When I take Riley in to see her neurologist, he relies on what I tell him about her symptoms because inevitably she will not display all of them there. Good luck. I am also going to PM you.

Molly was put on Rimadyl a week before we saw the Neurologist without
any tests, it made a huge difference. It wasn't the answer but it helped
in the short term.

Back