Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Surgery?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Clonsilla, Dublin 15, Eire
    Posts
    611
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Surgery?

    Has anyone on the board opted for SM surgery, if not, would you consider it? Our neurologist has suggested surgery and I've said no, but i'm wondering about others' experiences?
    Stephen 3 Cavs - Cody, Abigail & Jasmine, Gavin the terrier and the cats - Buffy, Kendra, Thomas, Caleb, Robin & Cadbury, the Geckos - Crane, Poole, Schmidt, Amber, Seven, Eleven, Thirteen, Ivy, Gretchen, Darcy, Ari, Zeva, Claude & Claudine, Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Dov, Ronia, Netanya

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    311
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Still haven't decided, it's such a difficult decision and the recovery sounds terrible. I'm sorry you have to go through this, I know how stressful it is.

    Jen and Ilsa

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    1,752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Riley had decompression surgery in June, 2008 for what I was told was severe and advanced SM. when she was diagnosed, I had not found this forum yet and knew absolutely nothing about SM. I talked to her breeder who was devastated. I took Riley to two different neurology practices. Independently, both neurologists told me the exact same thing- that her best chances of a longer and better quality of life was surgery and neither of them thought she was a candidate for just medical (pharmacological) management. When you have two doctors telling you the same thing, you go for it. At least I did. I did agonize over my decision during the LONG recovery, but now feel that I made the best decision I could with the information I had at the time. Have I prolonged her life? I don't know - and never will know. Have I given her a better quality of life? Again, I don't know. She still has most of the same symptoms she had pre-operatively. Would they be worse if she hadn't had surgery? Again - who knows. She seems happy and relatively unbothered by her health. Her symptoms though are not the typical symptoms of obvious pain. She is bothered by vestibular or balance problems and seizure-like activity - which is still occurring. I don't know if this has been helpful. It's not a decision to rush into or to make lightly. Would I make the same decision again? With almost 8 months behind me, I probably would say yes. I want her around for a long, long time and if that's what the experts are telling me, then I would do it again.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Tilly is 20 months and has moderate to severe SM but at present only scratches. We are not even medicating at the moment (under nuerologist advice of course) as she seems to be coping well and being young we all decided it could do more damage being on meds long term.

    Obviously we have discussed the surgery option when/if the time comes and my personal opinion is that, at present, the odds for a succesful surgery with an improvement that will last, seem very small for the amount of pain and recovery she would have to go through.

    Right now we are giving her a normal, happy, fun life. At some point we may need to make a decision to medicate and at some point after that, surgery may be the next logical step, but I pray I am strong enough to let her go without attempting to put her through all that. This is such an emotional subject but I would hate to put her through the surgery with no guarantees, just because I dont want to lose her.

    I think it has to be one of those things, that only you can decide what you feel is right for your dog and for your family.

    My heart goes out to you.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Broughty Ferry, Scotland
    Posts
    850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ste, so sorry you're in that positition, it must be terrible for you. I've not had to face that choice but I do think about what if...
    All I know is that I love my baby so much and would want to keep her forever. However having said that, as her mummy I have to decide what is best for her. If surgery was going to be painful and slow recovery with little improvement I would say no. I would feel I was putting her through more suffering. It is difficult and only with a balance of heart and head will you find the answer. Whatever you decide will be right for you.
    Take care

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    1,826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Molly is 20 months, surgery is not an option but if it was I feel the same as Devilica.
    I have a friend (human) who is about to have surgery for sm. She has been warned the recover is extremely painful and initially she might regret
    having it. I wouldn't want to put Molly through this, you can't explain to
    them why they are in such pain and possibly for what?
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's definitely not an easy decision. After speaking to the neurologist and discussing it with my husband, we've opted for the surgery. It's definitely been an emotional rollercoaster.

    Good luck to you!
    Bernie-
    Bernie
    Ginger Charley

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •