• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rudy Graduated from Puppy Class!

Brenda in SC

Ok, gotta brag on my pup...

Rudy and I have been taking a Puppy Class at my local recreation center. It was once a week for an hour - last class was last night. It was mostly socialization and a few basic commands. As it's been 10+ years since we've had a dog in our home, I figured this owner/handler needed to go back to basics too. The instructor just happened to have a thing with Cavs, so she took special interest in him throughout the course.

Of course, we practiced diligently during the week each command that was covered. Rudy performs brilliantly - at home! Class is another matter. He was class clown & party boy nearly every week. His fav part of class is free play - the little ones play off leash, then the big ones. We had a Great Dane puppy, a Giant Schnauser puppy and a hound in class. Rudy was so rambucious one week that the instructor allowed him off leash with the big guys. He had a blast. They were mostly intimidated by the smaller pups!

Finally last week I got Rudy to settle and do a couple commands. The best student in the class was a pound puppy - mixed breed hound with a gentle spirit and very calm demeanor. Last night, we were able to pull out a decent sit, down, stand, and he's getting the hang of 'leave it'. When called to the front of the class, he did receive his diploma and bag of treats in the 'sit' position. (A huge accomplishment in front of the class!) He seemed very pleased with himself - and I was one proud owner, I mean, HANDLER. He received a "Good Job" sticker on his forehead - photo is now the screen saver on my cell phone!

This was a great way to socialize a one-dog family pet. It was great fun-he is such a joy.

Well done Rudy. It sounds that you both had a lot of fun. :rah:
Are you thinking of going on to an advanced class? I find that you bond a lot with your dog when you train together.

What fun! Congratulations to both of you! Max and I just did our first week (my second) of puppy class - like Rudy he already does pretty well at most of these things at home (well he's not so good at leave it). We didn't do a whole lot at the first class except loose leash walking - which he is NOT used to as it's been so frigid here we haven't gone out much and when we do I have both dogs. He did very well considering though. There was the cutest Bull Mastiff pup in our class who just refused to walk - she sat down and would NOT be encouraged to move. I'm sure she'll do better this week when she is more comfortable.

Yes, I think I'd like to continue with a bit more advanced training. The instructor likes to have them closer to a year old for dog training tho unless they are a calm sort. I can see where a really young one would be a disruption. So we'll continue to work on basic commands thru spring/summer and we may continue class in the fall. Depending on how busy we are this summer, I may pop back for a puppy class - just as a refresher. Doing all those things we do at home is one thing - in a group with lots of distractions is another.

The instructor has encouraged us to stay in touch with her via email with any questions or problems.

Yes, I think I'd like to continue with a bit more advanced training. The instructor likes to have them closer to a year old for dog training tho unless they are a calm sort. I can see where a really young one would be a disruption. So we'll continue to work on basic commands thru spring/summer and we may continue class in the fall. Depending on how busy we are this summer, I may pop back for a puppy class - just as a refresher. Doing all those things we do at home is one thing - in a group with lots of distractions is another.

The instructor has encouraged us to stay in touch with her via email with any questions or problems.

That's a shame that you can't continue straight away. I started with Harley in the puppy class for eight weeks after that you move up to the adult class for eight weeks and after that if you are really good you move up to the advanced class, but that will take us a bit longer. Harley is the youngest and smallest dog in the adult class but he loves the big dogs. As long as you are enjoying yourself that is the main thing. I would love to do agility one day.

Congratulations to you both.:rah: This is a great achievement for a young puppy. You're entitled to be very proud(y)

Back