Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying cavalier that may have health issues later

Post Thanks / Like

Default Buying cavalier that may have health issues later

I already own one cavalier and have been thinking of adding another to our family. The other day I got an email from a rescue group who put me in contact with a reputable breeder who has a cavalier she is needing to find a good home for. The puppy is a ruby female who is 14 weeks. She has a slight overbite and almost didn't make it as a pup, as she wasn't nursing from mom as well as she should have. The breeder had to tube feed her for a week or so until she started eating on her own. As of right now she is healthy and her bloodwork has came back normal. Of course, there is no way to know if she will have any special needs later on in life. She is playful and energetic. The breeder said she has had 2 UTIs in the past few weeks as well. I am thinking of visiting and adopting her, but wanted to know everyone's thoughts on the matter. She is asking $600 for the puppy, because she said she just wants to recoup her medical costs, etc. from when she was sick. Does this seem reasonable? My last cavalier I spent $2000 on, and he was still pet quality but came from a very reputable breeder with good lines.

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds very suspicious to me-- beware-- make back what medical costs?? I've tube fed a pup for three weeks and he was seen by the vet and I didn't need to recoup 600.00.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WoodHaven View Post
    This sounds very suspicious to me-- beware-- make back what medical costs?? I've tube fed a pup for three weeks and he was seen by the vet and I didn't need to recoup 600.00.
    I kind of thought so too. I know she said that the vet gave her liquids intravenously one visit and she tube fed the pup, urinary tract infections, vaccines, etc. She's not spayed. She told me she would give me the vet's contact info, so I guess I could call the vet and find out more details. I'm just wondering how much a breeder would normally charge for a pup that may have health concerns later because of delayed development early on. Should I expect to pay this much?

Post Thanks / Like

I had a pup that I didn't think would make it... the one I tube fed for three weeks. I couldn't in good conscience take money when I knew he might have issues. He was given to a doctor and they were told all of my concerns. He is taken to the office each day and he greets all the clients. He takes a two mile walk each day and has been in excellent health. He is over two years old and he is doing great. It was a great match.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It sounds suspicious to me also.

For starters, I would want to know the rescue group's definition of a 'reputable breeder', since I think my definition might be quite different from theirs.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Moon View Post
    It sounds suspicious to me also.

For starters, I would want to know the rescue group's definition of a 'reputable breeder', since I think my definition might be quite different from theirs.
    The breeder is a good friend of the coordinator for my region's Cavalier USA Rescue. So, it's technically not really a rescue pup. Just a pup from the breeder's own litter that fell a little behind. The coordinator just knew she didn't have anything for me and thought this pup would be a good match. This breeder mainly shows and doesn't breed that often - maybe once a year. My first cavalier is from Laura Lang. The breeder has 8 cavaliers of her own and her own business that that is cavalier related. I honestly believe she is reputable, I spoke to her on the phone for over an hour and she is very knowledgeable about the breed and knows several breeders. I'm just not sure that I should pay $600 for a pup that may or may not have health issues later. Maybe I should ask her if she would take less?

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I think the breeder chose to bring the pup into the world so any medical costs are her responsability.
    She is passing the burden onto you & expects to be compensated for the medical costs .
    in return you get possible heartbreak & more expense ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    Personally I think the breeder chose to bring the pup into the world so any medical costs are her responsability.
    She is passing the burden onto you & expects to be compensated for the medical costs .
    in return you get possible heartbreak & more expense ?
    This is exactly how I feel. I would be heartbroken if something were to happen to the puppy and who knows how much we will end up spending on medical costs in the long run.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't go for it. It might work out great, but might spell heartbreak and expense, too.
    The breeders expenses up to now should be her responsibility, and if she wanted to let her go as a "rescue" type adoption, then any adoption fee should go to the rescue group who has coordinated this with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I honestly find it disturbing that club rescue is putting a potential buyer and pet home in touch with someone who is selling a pup in this way, under these circumstances. To most in rescue, this pup would qualify as a rescue placement and I cannot even imagine the breeder would charge a fellow breeder to rehome a pup. So why is she trying to recoup costs from a pet home? Just tube feeding isn't necessarily an issue but it sounds like there are potentially other problems if she is already having UTIs and is being offered at a cut rate...

Just because the breeder says she knows various other breeders doesn't mean much -- the breeders might have their own opinions on the breeder and rehoming a pup in this way.

Just NB I'd prefer for other breeders not to be mentioned by name if their own opinion on this issue isn't known so I did remove a single reference to a specific person.

If you are thinking of buying a puppy I would definitely recommend returning to talk to Laura though.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com