• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Buying cavalier that may have health issues later

I already own one cavalier and have been thinking of adding another to our family. The other day I got an email from a rescue group who put me in contact with a reputable breeder who has a cavalier she is needing to find a good home for. The puppy is a ruby female who is 14 weeks. She has a slight overbite and almost didn't make it as a pup, as she wasn't nursing from mom as well as she should have. The breeder had to tube feed her for a week or so until she started eating on her own. As of right now she is healthy and her bloodwork has came back normal. Of course, there is no way to know if she will have any special needs later on in life. She is playful and energetic. The breeder said she has had 2 UTIs in the past few weeks as well. I am thinking of visiting and adopting her, but wanted to know everyone's thoughts on the matter. She is asking $600 for the puppy, because she said she just wants to recoup her medical costs, etc. from when she was sick. Does this seem reasonable? My last cavalier I spent $2000 on, and he was still pet quality but came from a very reputable breeder with good lines.

This sounds very suspicious to me-- beware-- make back what medical costs?? I've tube fed a pup for three weeks and he was seen by the vet and I didn't need to recoup 600.00.

This sounds very suspicious to me-- beware-- make back what medical costs?? I've tube fed a pup for three weeks and he was seen by the vet and I didn't need to recoup 600.00.

I kind of thought so too. I know she said that the vet gave her liquids intravenously one visit and she tube fed the pup, urinary tract infections, vaccines, etc. She's not spayed. She told me she would give me the vet's contact info, so I guess I could call the vet and find out more details. I'm just wondering how much a breeder would normally charge for a pup that may have health concerns later because of delayed development early on. Should I expect to pay this much?

I had a pup that I didn't think would make it... the one I tube fed for three weeks. I couldn't in good conscience take money when I knew he might have issues. He was given to a doctor and they were told all of my concerns. He is taken to the office each day and he greets all the clients. He takes a two mile walk each day and has been in excellent health. He is over two years old and he is doing great. It was a great match.

It sounds suspicious to me also.

For starters, I would want to know the rescue group's definition of a 'reputable breeder', since I think my definition might be quite different from theirs.

It sounds suspicious to me also.

For starters, I would want to know the rescue group's definition of a 'reputable breeder', since I think my definition might be quite different from theirs.

The breeder is a good friend of the coordinator for my region's Cavalier USA Rescue. So, it's technically not really a rescue pup. Just a pup from the breeder's own litter that fell a little behind. The coordinator just knew she didn't have anything for me and thought this pup would be a good match. This breeder mainly shows and doesn't breed that often - maybe once a year. My first cavalier is from Laura Lang. The breeder has 8 cavaliers of her own and her own business that that is cavalier related. I honestly believe she is reputable, I spoke to her on the phone for over an hour and she is very knowledgeable about the breed and knows several breeders. I'm just not sure that I should pay $600 for a pup that may or may not have health issues later. Maybe I should ask her if she would take less?

Personally I think the breeder chose to bring the pup into the world so any medical costs are her responsability.
She is passing the burden onto you & expects to be compensated for the medical costs .
in return you get possible heartbreak & more expense ?

Personally I think the breeder chose to bring the pup into the world so any medical costs are her responsability.
She is passing the burden onto you & expects to be compensated for the medical costs .
in return you get possible heartbreak & more expense ?

This is exactly how I feel. I would be heartbroken if something were to happen to the puppy and who knows how much we will end up spending on medical costs in the long run.

I wouldn't go for it. It might work out great, but might spell heartbreak and expense, too.
The breeders expenses up to now should be her responsibility, and if she wanted to let her go as a "rescue" type adoption, then any adoption fee should go to the rescue group who has coordinated this with you.

I honestly find it disturbing that club rescue is putting a potential buyer and pet home in touch with someone who is selling a pup in this way, under these circumstances. To most in rescue, this pup would qualify as a rescue placement and I cannot even imagine the breeder would charge a fellow breeder to rehome a pup. So why is she trying to recoup costs from a pet home? :confused: Just tube feeding isn't necessarily an issue but it sounds like there are potentially other problems if she is already having UTIs and is being offered at a cut rate...

Just because the breeder says she knows various other breeders doesn't mean much -- the breeders might have their own opinions on the breeder and rehoming a pup in this way.

Just NB I'd prefer for other breeders not to be mentioned by name if their own opinion on this issue isn't known so I did remove a single reference to a specific person.

If you are thinking of buying a puppy I would definitely recommend returning to talk to Laura though. (y)

I honestly find it disturbing that club rescue is putting a potential buyer and pet home in touch with someone who is selling a pup in this way, under these circumstances. To most in rescue, this pup would qualify as a rescue placement and I cannot even imagine the breeder would charge a fellow breeder to rehome a pup. So why is she trying to recoup costs from a pet home? :confused: Just tube feeding isn't necessarily an issue but it sounds like there are potentially other problems if she is already having UTIs and is being offered at a cut rate...

Just because the breeder says she knows various other breeders doesn't mean much -- the breeders might have their own opinions on the breeder and rehoming a pup in this way.

Just NB I'd prefer for other breeders not to be mentioned by name if their own opinion on this issue isn't known so I did remove a single reference to a specific person.

If you are thinking of buying a puppy I would definitely recommend returning to talk to Laura though. (y)

Sorry! Thanks for deleting the name.

My Wynnie has an overbite and I got her for $400.00 because of the overbite. I maybe could have gone lower but I didnt really think of it at the time. Wynnie is about 8-9 months now and she doing great so far!!!!! Im really happy I got her. I would ask them to lower the price. Also have you met the dog? Do you really want it or is it just cause its cheaper? I wouldnt have taken Wynnie either way.

Pippin has an overbite as well, quite a significant one. We got him cheaper because of this, and the breeder was open and honest about it right from the start. Mind you, it was the same lady we got Maddie from, so we already had that relationship and trust there. :)
Pippin's 2 1/2 now, and the only issue with the overbite is his top front teeth stain really easily because they don't come into contact with his saliva and tongue as much as his other (pearly white) teeth. So I would recommend anyone with a dog with an overbite starts teeth cleaning at an early age to get them used to it.

My Wynnie has an overbite and I got her for $400.00 because of the overbite. I maybe could have gone lower but I didnt really think of it at the time. Wynnie is about 8-9 months now and she doing great so far!!!!! Im really happy I got her. I would ask them to lower the price. Also have you met the dog? Do you really want it or is it just cause its cheaper? I wouldnt have taken Wynnie either way.

I haven't went to see the puppy yet. Price really isn't an issue, we were planning on buying a $2000 puppy in late March. This opportunity just came up unexpectedly.The breeder seemed to think this pup may have health issues because of her feeding problems early on. They almost had to put her to sleep I guess, so it's not just the overbite that is concerning me. I would rather pay $2000 for a healthy puppy then $600 for one that has issues later.

They almost had to put her to sleep I guess, so it's not just the overbite that is concerning me. I would rather pay $2000 for a healthy puppy then $600 for one that has issues later.

I bought a pup in June of his year and was told that she had a 'mild cough' which was a result of her first injections. I paid my money and took home my little girl....
8 months on i have spent well over £1,000 in vet bills which are not covered by her insurance as everything relates back to her origional cough.
I am battling with the local council (animal welfare) to take notice and also trying my hardest to get the breeder to take responsibility and pay for Bailey's vet bills.
She is only 10 months old and extremely ill, i have been warned recently that we may lose her soon if her health doesn't pick up.

If you decide to buy this puppy then please be aware that insurance will not cover anything relating to previous conditions. Also that vet bills can very quickly escalate, i am feeling very poor at the moment to say the least!!

But most of all, can you bear the heartbreak? I am currently faced with the possibility that after 8 months of constant nursing my little girl, i may lose her. We have an amazing bond, and it breaks my heart to see her so poorly. Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't change her for the world, but i would never buy a pup who i believed to be poorly in future. It has been a heart wrenching experience to date, with what i can only see as more heart ache in the future.

I hope this story is of some benefit to you x

I bought a pup in June of his year and was told that she had a 'mild cough' which was a result of her first injections. I paid my money and took home my little girl....
8 months on i have spent well over £1,000 in vet bills which are not covered by her insurance as everything relates back to her origional cough.
I am battling with the local council (animal welfare) to take notice and also trying my hardest to get the breeder to take responsibility and pay for Bailey's vet bills.
She is only 10 months old and extremely ill, i have been warned recently that we may lose her soon if her health doesn't pick up.

If you decide to buy this puppy then please be aware that insurance will not cover anything relating to previous conditions. Also that vet bills can very quickly escalate, i am feeling very poor at the moment to say the least!!

But most of all, can you bear the heartbreak? I am currently faced with the possibility that after 8 months of constant nursing my little girl, i may lose her. We have an amazing bond, and it breaks my heart to see her so poorly. Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't change her for the world, but i would never buy a pup who i believed to be poorly in future. It has been a heart wrenching experience to date, with what i can only see as more heart ache in the future.

I hope this story is of some benefit to you x

So sorry to hear this. I hope your pup gets healthy.

I emailed the breeder earlier today and told her it just wasn't the right time for me to adopt another cavalier. I told her about my concerns about the puppy getting sick and needing medical care in the next few months. She seemed understanding and said she was going to hold on to her for a few months to see if her health improves. I know it was the right thing to do. I know how attached I am with my Cooper and I couldn't bear for him to get sick or worse. I've decided to wait a few months and when I do get another cavalier, I think I'm going to stay buy from our previous breeder.

Back